want to start flight sim

hiltomedy

hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask but i’ve had quite a great experience with answers. i’m looking to start flight sim as i want to pursue aviation in the future, im looking for a great budget yoke - i know it’s not really recommended to go cheap on these things but i’m a grade 10 student and don’t have any source of income - to play x plane 11. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated 

Hi!

do you have XPlane 11 yet?

it is better (and cheaper to start) than p3d and the rest.

What are your specs? (Xplane is currently nvidea biased and prefers few cores with higher performance)

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

I used a CH FlightSim Yoke with CH Pedals.

I still use the pedals but not the yoke.

For XPlane 11 I use a Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Flight Stick and Throttle.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

On 7/18/2019 at 4:02 PM, Mad153 said:

Hi!

do you have XPlane 11 yet?

it is better (and cheaper to start) than p3d and the rest.

What are your specs? (Xplane is currently nvidea biased and prefers few cores with higher performance)

hey sorry for the late reply, i dont xplane 11 yet. i current have a gtx 1660 ti, and i7 6700k, and 16gb, it would help a lot if you could determine if ill be able to handle the game. Also, when you say "it is better (and cheaper to start) than p3d and the rest." Do you mean that x plane 11 is cheaper and better to start or did i read it wrong? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, hiltomedy said:

current have a gtx 1660 ti, and i7 6700k, and 16gb, it would help a lot if you could determine if ill be able to handle the game.

it depends what you want. Do you want realism / do you know a lot about airplanes?

Also what res monitor do you have?

1 hour ago, hiltomedy said:

Do you mean that x plane 11 is cheaper and better to start

it costs less in general:

p3d requires a lot of money (you have to buy many addons )to make it look good, while xplane already looks good and you don't need to spend more on that.

Xplane has a great free aircraft (zibo 737) FOR FREE at the level of detail that you might pay £40 for.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Mad153 said:

it depends what you want. Do you want realism / do you know a lot about airplanes?

Also what res monitor do you have?

it costs less in general:

p3d requires a lot of money (you have to buy many addons )to make it look good, while xplane already looks good and you don't need to spend more on that.

Xplane has a great free aircraft (zibo 737) FOR FREE at the level of detail that you might pay £40 for.

alright thanks thats good to know. I do want realism however i dont know much about airplanes but would very much like to learn.  My current resolution 1920 x 1080. Do you think i'll be able to handle it with higher graphics while maintaining a good amount of fps. Also back to the main question, do you recommend any good budget yoke and pedal system? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, hiltomedy said:

alright thanks thats good to know. I do want realism however i dont know much about airplanes but would very much like to learn.  My current resolution 1920 x 1080. Do you think i'll be able to handle it with higher graphics while maintaining a good amount of fps. Also back to the main question, do you recommend any good budget yoke and pedal system? Thanks.

you'll be more than fine.

By Xplane standards.

Xplane has never, in its history run above 50 fps on any system and do not be unhappy if you get 25 -35 fps.

That's great!

I don't recommend a yoke for beginners as there is more to learn from starting with a joystick (which many professional people still do!)

and buying something for cheap that would get loads of wear (like a yoke), well it won't hold up that far.

Also many aircraft (notably airbus, who have a bit less than 48% in the whole market for jet planes) use a joystick!

Thanks

21 hours ago, Mad153 said:

you'll be more than fine.

By Xplane standards.

Xplane has never, in its history run above 50 fps on any system and do not be unhappy if you get 25 -35 fps.

That's great!

I don't recommend a yoke for beginners as there is more to learn from starting with a joystick (which many professional people still do!)

and buying something for cheap that would get loads of wear (like a yoke), well it won't hold up that far.

Also many aircraft (notably airbus, who have a bit less than 48% in the whole market for jet planes) use a joystick!

alright thanks a lot, i’ll definitely look over some joysticks. do you know any good pedal systems? And what’s your personal preference, joystick or yoke?

2 hours ago, hiltomedy said:

alright thanks a lot, i’ll definitely look over some joysticks. do you know any good pedal systems? And what’s your personal preference, joystick or yoke?

I still have the joystick (hotas X) that I started with.

I still love it.

But you might think differently.

It is cheap and great value.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

I still love it.

alright thanks again!

24 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

I still love it.

oh forgot to ask do you recommend any joystick and throttle systems? 

6 hours ago, hiltomedy said:

oh forgot to ask do you recommend any joystick and throttle systems? 

anything from joystick or thrustmaster should do well!

just look at the average review socre to make sure it doesn't have a major defect / fault

Thanks