Ryzen 3000 thermals

Existencex

I notice that on my ryzen 5 3600 my thermals peak at about 60c idle and average between 50-55c my peak temperature for gaming is at about 75c. Wondering if theres a fix or a setting i can adjust to get the thermals lower for idle. I've never seen a cpu idle this high

Remount the cooler with new thermal paste.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Idle temperatures mean very little, only that something is happening in the background. Your peak temps of 75c are safe.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

An 8c/16t cpu is going to idle hot regardless of what you do. There's a chance that high voltages are the cause. You could try setting a negative offset in bios, but honestly it won't make much of a difference. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

3 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

An 8c/16t cpu is going to idle hot regardless of what you do. There's a chance that high voltages are the cause. You could try setting a negative offset in bios, but honestly it won't make much of a difference. 

This is factually incorrect. I have the 1800x, an 8c/16t part and I idle at 35c on average with static voltage at 1.33125v. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This is factually incorrect. I have the 1800x, an 8c/16t part and I idle at 35c on average with static voltage at 1.33125v. 

My 3900x is at 1.448v in bios at 49c in a custom loop. In windows at idle I'm fluctuating between 1.392 and 1.46v according to cpu-z and hwinfo. 

Those are all stock settings

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

thank you for the info guys i’ve never seen a 6 core idle this high before so i wanted to be sure when i saw 50-60c idle in windows it was a little concerning i’ll leave the voltage and such alone

My 3700x on all core 4.3 oc using a static 1.3 volts sits idle around 45 and will hit around 73 at full load( in a room that I'm sure is like 85 right now....)So the fact that your hitting around that at idle is a little odd if you just at stock you can go into your bios and fiddle with the voltage alittle alot of revewers are finding the 3000 series performs better the colder it is (kinda goes with out saying but) but to a given degree. But even when I flip my chip back to stock iv noticed my rog hero vii likes to fluctate the voltage wildly while idle for no reaseason I'm talking from like .9-1.48 volts there should be no reason for that but I peg that as just unoptimized bios even jayztwocents said that the bios volatages need tinkering in most boards even x570 as right now the auto setting just set clocks and voltages all over the place.

4 hours ago, Existencex said:

I notice that on my ryzen 5 3600 my thermals peak at about 60c idle and average between 50-55c my peak temperature for gaming is at about 75c. Wondering if theres a fix or a setting i can adjust to get the thermals lower for idle. I've never seen a cpu idle this high

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
    Corsair pro rgb 16gb 3400 oc stock timings
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
    My digital ssd 250gb pro m.2 (boot) 2tb berracuda 7200rpm +Toshiba x300 4gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

I just installed my 3600 on a b450 today. Using a cheap Deep Cool 4000 I get around 35-45 c at idle, it bounces around a lot. If I stress it with cpuz it goes up to 75 degrees and bounces between 4.0-4.1 ghz on the processor. I think I need a better fan on my cooler, or just a better cooler all together. It worked pretty good on my 1500x but it might be at its limit with the 3600.

most of the people reported that setting an vcore offset for 3rd gen ryzen lowers temps by a fair amount, while keeping the same perormance if not even adding that extra single core boost

4 hours ago, tautvydas said:

most of the people reported that setting an vcore offset for 3rd gen ryzen lowers temps by a fair amount, while keeping the same perormance if not even adding that extra single core boost

i sent you a message if you wouldn’t mind guiding me through how to do this:)

What are you using to check the temps?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

What are you using to check the temps?

ive used both core temp and ryzen master

5 hours ago, tautvydas said:

Not true man. Vcore offset on the 3XXX will mess with pbo and lower your performance slightly. I seen this and why I could go lower anything less then - .0300 I seen a dip in performance. And a few other people have seen this as well. 

Also your temps and voltages will be higher when you have anything that monitors the cou open. Observer effect. Ique for my ram was not letting my CPU hit idle. Clocked it .9v idle.  Again known. The most accurate program to check voltages is cpuz. Ryzen master is high and won't show a undervolt when using a - offset.  Cpuz was the only one to come close to what I mesured with a tektronix scope. As well as a fluke. 

43 minutes ago, bignaz said:

Not true man. Vcore offset on the 3XXX will mess with pbo and lower your performance slightly. I seen this and why I could go lower anything less then - .0300 I seen a dip in performance. And a few other people have seen this as well. 

Also your temps and voltages will be higher when you have anything that monitors the cou open. Observer effect. Ique for my ram was not letting my CPU hit idle. Clocked it .9v idle.  Again known. The most accurate program to check voltages is cpuz. Ryzen master is high and won't show a undervolt when using a - offset.  Cpuz was the only one to come close to what I mesured with a tektronix scope. As well as a fluke. 

i only offset it -.100 and don’t seem to lose a lost in performance at all and lose about 10c of heat on all cores

19 hours ago, bignaz said:

i offset the voltage by -.100 in bios and so far it’s been pretty stable and haven’t noticed significant frame dips or clock dips. 

9 minutes ago, Existencex said:

i offset the voltage by -.100 in bios and so far it’s been pretty stable and haven’t noticed significant frame dips or clock dips. 

It's hard to tell. But I did a bunch of testing to reproduce his stuff and found anything over -.03 I also seen a decrease in performance and clock streaching.

On my 3800x my idle temps were 80 today after installing my good old h100i I've used perfectly fine on my 4670k. Pump and everything was connected

Did I use not enough paste? I used Kryonaut. 

I reseated it with a tad more paste. 

First one I was getting 100.... Just by watching a video and it wouldn't come down. 

After reseating the temps were at 60-70 or something in idle. 

Now I've installed the standard cooler that comes with it and it's 40-50, but I guess that's normal then? 

Should I apply a little more paste next time I try h100i? (Extra cpu image to show orientation, does anyone know where the die is located?)

See attachments

Knipsel.JPG

7 hours ago, Existencex said:

Software will not report the speed drop caused by the Clock Stretcher as far as I know.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case