Can I use ram that is made for a specific server for my custom build

Go to solution Solved by erty176,

Most server ram does not run in home built systems unless they are very high end almost business class systems. I would not suggest you use the ram in your system, based on the specs you provided.

So I'm building my first (home built) computer and I'm looking for ram, and i have all the specs for the ram I need, and I began looking on google and just typed in the specs (DDR3 1333mhz 32 GBs (4x8GBs) 240 pin (talk about pricy ram.) Until I stumbled upon Sun Blade X6270 Server Module compatible 32GB 4X8GB DDR3 RDIMM 1333MHz Black Diamond memory upgrade, and I was wondering if I could use it in my build because it's much cheaper then some of the other ram I found.

thanks.

-Loghawk555

server ram typically uses ECC, where consumer grade parts do not accept ECC memory and would not work. unless you are purchasing very high end parts.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

My specs are

MOBO: MSI   970A-G46

CPU: AMD FX 4130 3.8 ghz quad core

I already said the ram but :Sun Blade X6270 Server Module compatible 32GB 4X8GB DDR3 RDIMM 1333MHz Black Diamond memory upgrade.

​if the ram is compatible then I'll do the math for the PSU 

The memory would work, just not the ECC that the RAM probably has. 

probably not, and i wouldn't use the 4130 go for the 6100.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Ok, still little confused would the system run with this ram and just not use the ECC feature, or not run at all

Most server ram does not run in home built systems unless they are very high end almost business class systems. I would not suggest you use the ram in your system, based on the specs you provided.

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)