Want to backup files/data on DVD+R for a long storage time

Doge99

I want to backup my data on dvd with encryption (with password protected)

I tried veracrypt but that does not work for dvd and make further more problem 

Heard of Nero but that is trail program that i cannot purchase for a small useage 

Then i look for WinRAR and 7Zip but that will compress the data that i don't want 

Doing some research about this topic is just old and outdated 

Please suggest me what to do further to backup my data on DVD securely 

Thanks 

Regards

I would not recommend that as a strategy.  I think it used to be somewhat common ~15+ years ago but as data requirements have increased and the cost of HDDs has fallen, not to mention the decent of optical media into obscurity and the very slow and inconvenient nature of them vs other options available today, people have moved on to other methods.  Additionally, unless you're using special discs, they are not actually "archival grade" and can degrade over time, which is counter productive to the purpose of a backup.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would not recommend that as a strategy.  I think it used to be somewhat common ~15+ years ago but as data requirements have increased and the cost of HDDs has fallen, not to mention the decent of optical media into obscurity and the very slow and inconvenient nature of them vs other options available today, people have moved on to other methods.  Additionally, unless you're using special discs, they are not actually "archival grade" and can degrade over time, which is counter productive to the purpose of a backup.

Thanks for fast reply

i am planning for external hard drive and pendrive to store data 

but currently i want to store data on DVD

what are the best way to backup 

i will store most important data on google drive for additional security 

1 minute ago, xD Power Hole Stick said:

Thanks for fast reply

i am planning for external hard drive and pendrive to store data 

but currently i want to store data on DVD

what are the best way to backup 

i will store most important data on google drive for additional security 

If I was doing it personally I would use something like WinRAR to encrypt the data before burning.  This also gives you the option to add a "recovery record" which essentially works like RAID 5 to use a bit of extra data as redundancy to protect against corruption.

As for Google Drive, that will definitely increase your ability to recover in case of issues, but it wouldn't increase the security of your system at all.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If I was doing it personally I would use something like WinRAR to encrypt the data before burning.  This also gives you the option to add a "recovery record" which essentially works like RAID 5 to use a bit of extra data as redundancy to protect against corruption.

As for Google Drive, that will definitely increase your ability to recover in case of issues, but it wouldn't increase the security of your system at all.

i dont want to bind all data into small chunks that might make data loss

and winrar make the data compress that will lower the quality of videos

Just now, xD Power Hole Stick said:

i dont want to bind all data into small chunks that might make data loss

and winrar make the data compress that will lower the quality of videos

Archives like RAR use lossless compression, not lossy, and do not change a single byte of your data, so there will be no quality reduction.  You can also disable compression entirely by setting it to "store" in order to significantly lighten the CPU demands of compression and extraction.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Archives like RAR use lossless compression, not lossy, and do not change a single byte of your data, so there will be no quality reduction.  You can also disable compression entirely by setting it to "store" in order to significantly lighten the CPU demands of compression and extraction.

Thanks 

And harddrive or usb drive are better alternatives for dvd

Just now, xD Power Hole Stick said:

Thanks 

And harddrive or usb drive are better alternatives for dvd

Yeah they are.  Rewritable, cheaper, larger capacity, and you don't need a drive to read them :)

54 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What is meant by that Google Drive is not a good option to backup files

3 minutes ago, xD Power Hole Stick said:

What is meant by that Google Drive is not a good option to backup files

What I mean is it brings with it all the pros and cons of a cloud solution.  You're protected against local issues like fire, theft, etc. But the downside is you need to upload and download which could be slow, and your data is at the mercy of however they choose to store it, in terms of reliability, security, etc.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What I mean is it brings with it all the pros and cons of a cloud solution.  You're protected against local issues like fire, theft, etc. But the downside is you need to upload and download which could be slow, and your data is at the mercy of however they choose to store it, in terms of reliability, security, etc.

Thanks