Packaging suggestions for Ryzen 2700x

I plan on upgrading from my 2700x to the 3700x soon. The issue is, I sold my Prism Wraith Cooler and I shipped it in the original box that the CPU was in as well. So now, when I ship my Ryzen, I'll have to create some sort of safe packaging, and making it harder is that fact that the CPU has exposed pins on the bottom. Has anyone done this before with success that would be willing to share some tips? I'm handy with an xacto knife, so I've thought about building some sort of enclosure with thick cardstock or something similar.

you can reuse the box of the new one, to protect pins, you could also visit a store and ask them if they could sell you a empty box

i bougth a oem cpu last week, they gave it to me on a box, still got a couple of bent pins, fortunatelly is easy to bend them back when you need to bend few of them

so transport them is kinda hard to be honest, i dont recoment any form of foam, best bet is the original case it came or one from the new one

visit a store and get a used box, usually stores that build pcs for people have a ton of empty boxes you can use

you could probably get away with a makeshift carrier made from cardboard(like a rectangular cuboid maybe?), covered with generous amounts of bubblewrap

10 minutes ago, FrankGehry said:

I plan on upgrading from my 2700x to the 3700x soon. The issue is, I sold my Prism Wraith Cooler and I shipped it in the original box that the CPU was in as well. So now, when I ship my Ryzen, I'll have to create some sort of safe packaging, and making it harder is that fact that the CPU has exposed pins on the bottom. Has anyone done this before with success that would be willing to share some tips? I'm handy with an xacto knife, so I've thought about building some sort of enclosure with thick cardstock or something similar.

Hey there when I shipped my i5-6400 I didn't have a box...I just made a cardboard like box and put my i5-6400 on some toilet paper wrapped safely and tightly.

My cardboard box was like this (See video) and the CPU was like I said wrapped in toilet paper.I had HUGE luck because after I shipped it I read something that the CPU pins are maybe safe but there could be electro static damage or something like this and the CPU would not work anymore.So I would HIGLY recommend you buying some kind of a anti-static foam and then try to combine something.Do it on your own risk,I'm just saying my one time experience with this.

15 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

visit a store and get a used box, usually stores that build pcs for people have a ton of empty boxes you can use

you could probably get away with a makeshift carrier made from cardboard(like a rectangular cuboid maybe?), covered with generous amounts of bubblewrap

Thank you. I was able to find a PC store in the city I live, so I reached out to them...waiting to here back now.

13 minutes ago, CroixFrozyX said:

Hey there when I shipped my i5-6400 I didn't have a box...I just made a cardboard like box and put my i5-6400 on some toilet paper wrapped safely and tightly.

My cardboard box was like this (See video) and the CPU was like I said wrapped in toilet paper.I had HUGE luck because after I shipped it I read something that the CPU pins are maybe safe but there could be electro static damage or something like this and the CPU would not work anymore.So I would HIGLY recommend you buying some kind of a anti-static foam and then try to combine something.Do it on your own risk,I'm just saying my one time experience with this.

Thank you! I'll probably go this route if I cannot get a hold of a spare box.

3 minutes ago, FrankGehry said:

Thank you! I'll probably go this route if I cannot get a hold of a spare box.

No problem man,glad that I could help.