"Professional" Mechanical Keyboard?(for a gift)

Mr-Newlove

Hello All,

Long story short, my father has been using membrane keyboards for most of his life and constantly complains to me about it when I see him(Always something like... every keyboard I buy turns to crap or just is unreliable) He has a bit of a vendetta against anything "gaming" and so he hasn't really had a good keyboard since the Model M(unfortunately he threw it out)

I am looking for the most "Professional" looking keyboard that has a good warranty and uses MX Brown switches (Quieter then reds/blues since he is on the phone a lot) Ideally with just white LEDs, but RGB is fine.

Right now I'm looking at maybe a K70 MK1 if I can find one, but so far I have not had much luck finding one that isn't marked up like crazy. o... and a numpad is a MUST

Any suggestions? Price doesn't really matter... as long as it's not crazy... Amazon Prime Ideally.

I am going to be buying it for him as a random gift, this has gone on long enough.

Thanks,

Kyle

Edit: I just came across the https://www.daskeyboard.com/p/4q-smart-rgb-mechanical-keyboard/ ... think it may be the one, Ill be ordering it later this evening if No one else has better ideas.

I have that Das Keyboard (without the RBG) and its great. Its my keyboard on my second PC, my main is my Logitech G710+, but the das keyboard is great.

That said... I got my mother a monoprice mechanical keyboard for the same sort of reasons you are mentioning here. I am not sure this is the same as when I got hers it was their only option, now they have a few looks like, but it has held up great for years. Hers had blues, but this has browns and is backlit... And the price can't be beat. I was seriously impressed with hers for the price.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33539

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

That is a cheap(mechanical) keyboard wow. I may suggest them for the next office people are asking me to help them select machines/peripherals for sure!

I also want to prove a point with him that its still worth spending a bit of money on computers, he is one of those guys who spent like 5-10k on his first machine for work(back in like 1993 or so...) and was immediately bit the next year with it being outdated by a large margin and now he just refuses to spend much money on a machine. I only recently got him to buy a laptop that costs more than $1k, an XPS15 and he has been happy about that decision. 

I've ordered the Das keyboard if something amazing gets suggested I can return it and order a different one.

Das Keyboards appeals to clueless people that are tricked into thinking that it's German and good - it's neither. It's built like crap, and uses Cherry switches, which are mediocre at best. The software is all just pointless gimmicks, and the company is not exactly good at getting the community develop software for it.

If you want somewhat quiet keyboards, check out Leopold and Filco keyboards using Topre switches, or check out various custom keyboards, and choose some decent switches and keycaps. Check out the ZealPC Zilent for a good, quiet tactile switch. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

Get a Leopold Fc900r, great build quality, and probably the best thick 1.5mm doubleshot pbt caps on the prebuilt market 100000x better than the shitty thin lasered abs caps on the das. Or if you have too much money to spend get a Topre Realforce 104u, if you need backlighting get a ducky or varmillo 

I guess we are returning it. yea the software support is complete garbage.

I am looking at: https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-Shine7 since there doesn't seem to be an easy to access seller for the Leopold Fc900r in canada.

@b emoji

Is it possible to actually load the RGB profile into the keyboard so the software does not need to run all the time?

If he liked the model M (I still use mine for my main PC) then there are modern replicas with USB cables and black chassis: https://www.pckeyboard.com/

Otherwise maybe one of the rosewill cherry MX keyboards. They look plain and clean enough to be an office keyboard. I had one before my model M and it was a good keyboard.