Ethernet in the attic

Rob_

Hello, I recently have been getting into the idea of creating a little home recording stuiod in the attic, but I sadly do not have an ethernet port in that room. getting a cable up there isn't really a problem, but I'm not sure if my current router (still using the one that was provided by my ISP :/ ) could do that, and if not, what I should get. Any advice? Thanks in advance :) 

tried mesh? i've used it with positive results

prefer it over powerline

edit: misread op

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

If you can get a cable up there, go for it. Ethernet > WiFi. Your router won't have any issues with it, if it has enough ports, otherwise you'll have to get a switch/hub.

5 minutes ago, Rob_ said:

Hello, I recently have been getting into the idea of creating a little home recording stuiod in the attic, but I sadly do not have an ethernet port in that room. getting a cable up there isn't really a problem, but I'm not sure if my current router (still using the one that was provided by my ISP :/ ) could do that, and if not, what I should get. Any advice? Thanks in advance :)

You could test the ports on the router with a computer to just make sure but 90% of the time, if theres is room on the router (port-wise) it'll work.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

tried mesh? i've used it with positive results

prefer it over powerline

mesh? is that where you have those little stations aorund your house? how would that work?

1 minute ago, TheDutchMC04 said:

If you can get a cable up there, go for it. Ethernet > WiFi. Your router won't have any issues with it, if it has enough ports, otherwise you'll have to get a switch/hub.

if I take a look at my router, I dont see an ethernet port which is free. I have the experia v10. What should i get to properly get a cable up there then?

6 minutes ago, Rob_ said:

getting a cable up there isn't really a problem

cable would be cheapest option

just check if the router/switch have extra LAN out ports

1 minute ago, Rob_ said:

mesh? is that where you have those little stations aorund your house? how would that work?

it just expands the coverage of your wifi, if speed/latency isnt of concern, and cable is a hassle, mesh would be a decent alternative

mesh require a LAN port anyway, so just use a regular LAN cable if that's an option.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Rob_ said:

if I take a look at my router, I dont see an ethernet port which is free. I have the experia v10. What should i get to properly get a cable up there then?

I'd recommend getting a cheap (Gigabit) hub, around 30EUR on Amazon. Unplug one of the current devices from the router, run a cable from the hub to the router, plug the unplugged device in the hub, and plug your new cable in the hub

Just now, TheDutchMC04 said:

I'd recommend getting a cheap (Gigabit) hub, around 30EUR on Amazon. Unplug one of the current devices from the router, run a cable from the hub to the router, plug the unplugged device in the hub, and plug your new cable in the hub

so that's basically a splitter? 

1 minute ago, Rob_ said:

yeah you could call it that yeah. A powerbar for ethernet basically. I use this one Amazon.de (click) , works no problem. but any hub will do fine, make sure it is Gigabit though, especially if your plan is over 100mbit

13 minutes ago, TheDutchMC04 said:

12 minutes ago, Rob_ said:

Please don't get a hub. Get a Gigabit switch. 

They're pretty much the same price and the switch has made hubs obsolete. 

If you can run a cable it should be fine. I have a similar setup as my bedroom is an attic conversion. We have a cable running from the ISP router 2 floors down up to my bedroom with no issues.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||