Nvme ssd not detected after cpu change to 3900x

I recently changed my cpu from the r5 2600 to the r9 3900x on an asus strix b450i motherboard.

But after I swapped the cpu the pc would get into bios fine, showing everything as normal, the 3900x, ram, other storage drives etc, but it doesnt detect my nvme samsung 960 pro anymore and cant boot into Windows because of it (Windows is installed on the nvme ssd).

The bios does not detect the drive at all as far as I can see. I tried messing around with csm (disable vs enabled), cleared the cmos, and reseated the ssd (even though I didnt touch it during cpu installation). Does anyone have any other ideas I could try out?

Any help would be much appreciated and sorry if I didn't include enough info in my post, as well as if this is the wrong place to post this.

1 hour ago, Flying Walrus said:

I recently changed my cpu from the r5 2600 to the r9 3900x on an asus strix b450i motherboard.

But after I swapped the cpu the pc would get into bios fine, showing everything as normal, the 3900x, ram, other storage drives etc, but it doesnt detect my nvme samsung 960 pro anymore and cant boot into Windows because of it (Windows is installed on the nvme ssd).

The bios does not detect the drive at all as far as I can see. I tried messing around with csm (disable vs enabled), cleared the cmos, and reseated the ssd (even though I didnt touch it during cpu installation). Does anyone have any other ideas I could try out?

Any help would be much appreciated and sorry if I didn't include enough info in my post, as well as if this is the wrong place to post this.

If you have another drive to boot from and it works, then you can eliminate the new 3900X CPU physically itself as the source of the problem since it is almost certainly compatible with that nvme but by all means check that out. Obviously the motherboard is compatible with the nvme or it wouldn't have worked with the old CPU.

You can also try putting the old R5 2600 CPU back in to see if your 960 Pro is still working. If it is, then that completely eliminates the nvme itself as the source of the problem as well as the motherboard physically itself and you can focus on BIOS settings.

Although that advice is far from solving your problem, at least it potentially narrows down substantially a long list of possibilities. Sorry I can't do better than that for now.

Same here. X370 Taichi. Swapped the 2700x for 3900x. NVME drive no longer detected by the bios!! Dafuq? Anyone?

Perhaps setting Gen speed to something other than what it's on during boot?  It sounds like a bug that should be sorted eventually, but who knows when.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Changed back to 2700x. NVME is detected without issues. Do you guys think I have a defective cpu? Doesn’t seem like MB or SSD issue 

34 minutes ago, unsungloser said:

Changed back to 2700x. NVME is detected without issues. Do you guys think I have a defective cpu? Doesn’t seem like MB or SSD issue 

Since you have the same problem as the OP but took the step to verify that your nvme still works with the old CPU, I doubt the CPU is physically defective. My best guess is AMD needs to update BIOS. Maybe there is a manual settings workaround in the meantime.

No idea what’s causing this. I turned off CSM in the bios to no avail. Windows is not detecting the NVME either.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this issue? I'm assuming this was on the lastest BIOS?

I have this board as well and ordered a 3900x without knowing whether it would work or not. Fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to hear if this problem persists for anyone else.

I just upgraded to the Ryzen 3600 bundled with the Gigabyte X570 I Auros Pro Wifi, and neither of my two NVMe drives are showing in the BIOS. 

I have attempted:

- Disabling CSM

-Disabling Secure boot

-Manually setting PCIe to Gen. 3

Some say theirs show during Windows install and/or in diskpart, but not in my case.

• 2 years later...

Created an account to weigh in on an old thread in case anyone finds this from Google, as I did.

I had an identical issue (albeit with a newly installed Ryzen 3800xt).  After a long bit of noodling, my issue was resolved by 

1. Re-seating the old chip

2. Flashing the BIOS to F51 instead of F40.  (Please also make sure you've flashed to F31 beforehand).

3. Re-seating the new chip

TLDR flashing the BIOS again worked for me