What Parts Should i use for my first pc?

Hi y'all,

With third-gen ryzen out, I feel like this is the perfect time to get building, but I'm in-between some part choices. I'm gonna use the computer for gaming and some light photo and video editing. my budget is less than $1200.

The Parts I have so far/need help with are (Things with slashes are things I need help deciding but I'll take any criticism) :

Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 7 3700x

Noctua U14S

x570/x470 AsusTuf Wifi  /  x570/x470 Asus Prime Pro

16gb Sniper X 3600

970 Evo Plus 500gb and maybe add an 860 Evo 1tb drive later on

Gtx 1660 ti  /  Rtx 2060  /  Rx 5700

I'm using an old mac pro case from 2005 cuz I want my pc in a mac lol

550w G3 PSU  /  650w G3 PSU

Please help I'm lost. and I'm using a 1080p monitor and trying to get at least 60 fps on most games, like borderlands, witcher 3. GTA 5. stuff like that. Thanks!

R5,

Prime pro,

RX 5700, in case you plan on making a mackintosh

650 G3

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

6 minutes ago, Terminal.exe said:

x570/x470 AsusTuf Wifi  /  x570/x470 Asus Prime Pro

Prime and tuf boards kinda suck, are you dead set on Asus?

Also, for the money the EVGA G3 is not great.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

R5,

Prime pro,

RX 5700, in case you plan on making a mackintosh

650 G3

Its gunna be a windows 10 computer, but which prime pro, x470 or x570. cuz I want to know if I should future proof with Pcie gen 4

X570, to be safe

Just now, Terminal.exe said:

Its gunna be a windows 10 computer, but which prime pro, x470 or x570. cuz I want to know if I should future proof with Pcie gen 4

Just now, fasauceome said:

Prime and tuf boards kinda suck, are you dead set on Asus?

Also, for the money the EVGA G3 is not great.

Not Deadset on asus, just know them for other things, and i thought g3 was supposed to be the best? but anyway, suggestions on other mobos and PSUs?

Just now, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

X570, to be safe

Ok cool yeah I felt like x570 was the way to go

Not Deadset on asus, just know them for other things, and i thought g3 was supposed to be the best? but anyway, suggestions on other mobos and PSUs?

I have a Maximus mobo, its great (AMD has Crosshair)

as for PSUs, I would go with Corsair

Just now, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I have a Maximus mobo, its great (AMD has Crosshair)

as for PSUs, I would go with Corsair

I'll look into corsair, but a maximus board is a little a lot far out of my price range

1 minute ago, Terminal.exe said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ft6qqs/asrock-x570-steel-legend-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-steel-legend

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zBfmP6/bitfenix-formula-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bp-fm550ulag-7r

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Thanks! But do you have any psu recommendations I could get on amazon or newegg? those are the sites I'm using for this

Thanks! But do you have any psu recommendations I could get on amazon or newegg? those are the sites I'm using for this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/J7F48d/cooler-master-mwe-gold-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpy-6501-afaag-us

Primary PC:

Ryzen 5 3600

Noctua U14S

MSI X470 Gaming M7 or Asus Crosshair VII if you don't have a 1000 or 2000 series CPU on hand

If you do have a CPU on hand you can go with the Asus X470 Strix-F Gaming.

16gb Sniper X 3600

970 Evo Plus 500gb and WD Blue/ Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Rx 5700

Any decent 500W+ PSU except the EVGA G3

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

Thanks! And this is better then EVGA psu's right?

They dropped the ball on the G3. I got myself a G2 when the prices were reasonable, but that PSU is too expensive now. I saw a good deal on a G1+ at one point but I'm pretty sure its price has gone back up.

It's not about the brand, it's all about the model. You can check out the PSU tier list to see more info.

Primary PC:

Just now, Mathieu9836 said:

Ryzen 5 3600

Noctua U14S

MSI X470 Gaming M7 or Asus Crosshair VII if you don't have a 1000 or 2000 series CPU on hand

If you do have a CPU on hand you can go with the Asus X470 Strix-F Gaming.

16gb Sniper X 3600

970 Evo Plus 500gb and WD Blue/ Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Rx 5700

Any decent 500W+ PSU except the EVGA G3

OK thanks you. I dont have a cpu on hand as this is my first build coming from a mac boi. Could you explain why g3 isnt the way to go?

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

They dropped the ball on the G3. I got myself a G2 when the prices were reasonable, but that PSU is too expensive now. I saw a good deal on a G1+ at one point but I'm pretty sure its price has gone back up.

It's not about the brand, it's all about the model. You can check out the PSU tier list to see more info.

aaah makes sense. I thought it was weird that it was 100 dollars for a 650w. I just thought it was expensive cuz pcs are expensive lol

5 minutes ago, Terminal.exe said:

OK thanks you. I dont have a cpu on hand as this is my first build coming from a mac boi. Could you explain why g3 isnt the way to go?

Over current protection and over temperature protection have been known to be defective or way too high, it kick in a around 120-125% of the set value which can cause major damage to your hardware if it does not work properly

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

1 minute ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Over current protection have been known to be defective, it kick in a around 120-125% of the set value which can cause major damage to your hardware if it does not work properly

Ok, thanks. And you think I shouldn't get an x570 mobo right?

3 minutes ago, Terminal.exe said:

Ok, thanks. And you think I shouldn't get an x570 mobo right?

I don't think you shouldnt get a X570 board, the only reason to go with that chipset is for the PCIe gen 4 and there is currently no NVMe or GPU able to fill Gen 3 bandwith. For now or 2-3 years gamers probably won't see any use of this bandwith until really fast NVMe will be needed/wanted. You won't see any difference between a very good X470 and a X570 board.

Edit: Most X570 have overkill VRMs to handle the 3950X cpu but the 3000 series draw less current then the 2000 cpus

1 minute ago, Mathieu9836 said:

I don't think you shouldnt get a X570 board, the only reason to go with that chipset is for the PCIe gen 4 and there is currently no NVMe or GPU able to fill Gen 3 bandwith. For now or 2-3 years gamers probably won't see any use of this bandwith until really fast NVMe will be needed/wanted. You won't see any difference between a very good X470 and a X570 board.

Good to know, but didn't gigabyte, corsair and like a couple more companies make gen 4 nvme drives?

10 minutes ago, Terminal.exe said:

Good to know, but didn't gigabyte, corsair and like a couple more companies make gen 4 nvme drives?

Yes they do, if you need fast storage then get the X570 boards, if 2.000mb/s is fast enough for you then there is no reason to get a X570 board. At the same price you can get a better featured X470 but you don't get the PCIe Gen 4 lanes.

You can same some money with a X470 board and get the 5700XT instead of the 5700 and get the extra fps

8 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Yes they do, if you need fast storage then get the X570 boards, if 2.000mb/s is fast enough for you then there is no reason to get a X570 board. At the same price you can get a better featured X470 but you don't get the PCIe Gen 4 lanes.

You can same some money with a X470 board and get the 5700XT instead of the 5700 and get the extra fps

aaaaaah ok makes sense. correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t the 5700 xt overheat? or did i hear wrong

aaaaaah ok makes sense. correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t the 5700 xt overheat? or did i hear wrong

I didnt watched reviews yet but i'm pretty sure they do, thanks to the blower cooler..... wait for 3rd party cards

BTW i'm making a very similar build with the Crosshair VII, same NVMe ssd, 1TB WD blue, planning to buy the 3600 and a new radeon with 3rd party cooler.

11 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

I didnt watched reviews yet but i'm pretty sure they do, thanks to the blower cooler..... wait for 3rd party cards

BTW i'm making a very similar build with the Crosshair VII, same NVMe ssd, 1TB WD blue, planning to buy the 3600 and a new radeon with 3rd party cooler.

very nice very nice. alright so i’ll wait for some third party cards with fans lmao