Help with optimal UK Internet Set up

Just going to preface this by saying so as far as routers, networking and all that goes it's probably safe to just say i'm quite clueless so need all the help i can get.

So basically i want to make sure i'm getting the absolute best out of my internet and home network set up due to the following:

1) I live stream (when my internet permits it)

2) i share the house with 3 other people, not necessarily using it as much as me but still hogging up some bandwidth

Currently I have my PC directly wired via a long ass ethernet cable (likely not a Cat-6a cable either) straight to our BT home hub router. 

So what would you recommend i do? In terms of buying a different router/modem, having range extenders? i'm all ears

I will also say that no i can't move my PC closer to the router and i don't think theres a better place to put the router as its right next to the master socket.

Thanks in advance for any help

7 minutes ago, Pickled Tiger said:

Currently I have my PC directly wired via a long ass ethernet cable (likely not a Cat-6a cable either) straight to our BT home hub router. 

You dont need Cat6a, because there is no way in hell your ISP will give you above a 1 Gbps Internet connection for an affordable price. So unless your doing data transfers across your network that require 10 Gbps, its not necessary. 

8 minutes ago, Pickled Tiger said:

aving range extenders? i'm all ears

Ranage extenders cut your bandwidth in half most of the time, try not to use them. 

9 minutes ago, Pickled Tiger said:

So what would you recommend i do? In terms of buying a different router/modem,

This depends on what kind of Internet you have. Fiber, aDSL, vDSL, Cable (Coax), etc. 

9 minutes ago, Pickled Tiger said:

I will also say that no i can't move my PC closer to the router and i don't think theres a better place

If you dont mind the long ass Ethernet cord then there is no reason to move it. Ethernet is good to 100 Meters. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.