'str' object has no attribute 'append'

Hafiz75
filename4= input("Enter The File Name? \n")
            confile1="LogoArt.txt"
            f = open(confile1, 'r')
            confile1.append("hi")
            a = 0
            for i in range(len(confile1)):
                try:
                    if (confile1[i] in confile1) >0:
                        a = a + 1
                    if confile1[i] != confile1[i+1]:
                        print(confile1[i],a)
                        a = 0
                except IndexError:
                    print()

I dont understand the syntax please could someone help?

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar (Black) RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB | Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB and Samsung 970 EVO 250GB | PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Monitor: ASUS VZ279HE | Mouse: Logitech M171 Wireless | Keyboard: Cherry DC 2000 | Mousepad: None | Speakers: Logitech Z333

if i'm not wrong .append only works with lists

lst = [1, 2, 3]
lst.append(4)
print(lst)

this should give you [1, 2, 3, 4]

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

if i'm not wrong .append only works with lists

lst = [1, 2, 3]
lst.append(4)
print(lst)

this should give you [1, 2, 3, 4]

ok thanks xxx

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar (Black) RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB | Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB and Samsung 970 EVO 250GB | PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Monitor: ASUS VZ279HE | Mouse: Logitech M171 Wireless | Keyboard: Cherry DC 2000 | Mousepad: None | Speakers: Logitech Z333

W

On 6/29/2019 at 5:30 AM, geo3 said:

use the + operator to concatenate strings in Python. 

name = "Mike " + "Smith" 

Where did you get that from????

23 hours ago, Franck said:

here's the reference. Most language use either + or & to concatenate. Python is in the + team

https://www.pythonforbeginners.com/concatenation/string-concatenation-and-formatting-in-python

Or if you're VB.NET you can use either one because that's not confusing as hell lol

to OP: Strings in most languages are immutable; that is to say, you can't change the original string unless you overwrite it with a new string (or if the language allows it, modify the character data itself, either directly or through methods). In the case of appending or concatenating like you're doing, you're actually making a whole new string from the contents of the other strings you specify.