Broken Laptop Please Help

So I have a oldish HP Laptop (hp 15-d001si) that is used for basic web browsing and office. I installed a SSD about a month ago, surprise surprise it sorted out the failing hard drive but the CPU was so slow everything was still lagy but that's besides the point as I doubt weather its the hard drive.

Problem:

One day before starting it up I noticed that it was somewhat warm even though it had not been used for a few days but it booted up fine. I used it for a bit and switched it off. The next day when I wanted to start it up it didn't work anymore. When I press the power button the lights come on for a while and then they go off. The charging light works fine and I have tried on and off charge. I can't really tel but it looks like the fans don't come on. It doesn't look like the screen switches on at all. 

I have not tried anything as I have no idea where to start so even just a pointer for what I can look for would be a great help.

Edit 1:

I tried booting it with out the battery, no change. A quick google search lead me to unplugging the charger and taking out the battery then holding down the power button for 30 seconds then there is two ways depending on where you read, ether you plug it back in and don't put in the battery in or you plug it back in and do put the battery back in then try and boot it up again, I tried both but no change.

Could be plenty of things.

How was the battery life on it while it was still working?

Has it been dropped or exposed to water at all? Any power spikes or anything?

Can you feel air blowing out of any of the vents when you try turning it on?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Thank you for the reply @TheKDub.

Q: How was the battery life on it while it was still working?

A: Not great, I think it was on its way out.

Q: Has it been dropped or exposed to water at all? Any power spikes or anything?

A: No drops, its mostly stationary on a desk. No power spikes that I'm aware of. I did ask the people who could have come in contact with it but everyone says they didn't mess or spill anything on it.

Q: Can you feel air blowing out of any of the vents when you try turning it on?

A: No but I never really could, I did put my ear against the vents but I don't hear anything ether.

2 minutes ago, Toshi_141 said:

Thank you for the reply @TheKDub.

Q: How was the battery life on it while it was still working?

A: Not great, I think it was on its way out.

Q: Has it been dropped or exposed to water at all? Any power spikes or anything?

A: No drops, its mostly stationary on a desk. No power spikes that I'm aware of. I did ask the people who could have come in contact with it but everyone says they didn't mess or spill anything on it.

Q: Can you feel air blowing out of any of the vents when you try turning it on?

A: No but I never really could, I did put my ear against the vents but I don't hear anything ether.

Hmm.. I'm thinking maybe the battery went out and the system is set up in a way where it can't boot without a working battery. I might be wrong, but it's a possibility.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

Hmm.. I'm thinking maybe the battery went out and the system is set up in a way where it can't boot without a working battery. I might be wrong, but it's a possibility.

It's possible but I have no way to test that. Any other ideas for stuff I can test for?

2 minutes ago, Toshi_141 said:

It's possible but I have no way to test that. Any other ideas for stuff I can test for?

If there's a brightness key on the keyboard, turn on the laptop then try giving that a few taps. Sometimes laptops let you turn the display backlight off completely with the brightness control and people don't know how to turn it back on (with the increase brightness key). Some also have a key for turning the display on/off.

Aside from that, you'd probably have to swap the battery to see if that changes anything. if it still doesn't work, it could've been the backlight dying, or some circuit in the laptop failing. It's hard to tell without pretty much tearing it apart and testing as much as you can with known good parts.

For display failure, you could hook it up to an external monitor to see if it outputs anything. If it does, but the built in display is still dark, RIP the display and/or backlight.

1 hour ago, Toshi_141 said:

So I have a oldish HP Laptop (hp 15-d001si) that is used for basic web browsing and office. I installed a SSD about a month ago, surprise surprise it sorted out the failing hard drive but the CPU was so slow everything was still lagy but that's besides the point as I doubt weather its the hard drive.

Problem:

One day before starting it up I noticed that it was somewhat warm even though it had not been used for a few days but it booted up fine. I used it for a bit and switched it off. The next day when I wanted to start it up it didn't work anymore. When I press the power button the lights come on for a while and then they go off. The charging light works fine and I have tried on and off charge. I can't really tel but it looks like the fans don't come on. It doesn't look like the screen switches on at all. 

I have not tried anything as I have no idea where to start so even just a pointer for what I can look for would be a great help.

Edit 1:

I tried booting it with out the battery, no change. A quick google search lead me to unplugging the charger and taking out the battery then holding down the power button for 30 seconds then there is two ways depending on where you read, ether you plug it back in and don't put in the battery in or you plug it back in and do put the battery back in then try and boot it up again, I tried both but no change.

Try cleaning your intake fan vents. It might be due to accumulation of dust and debris in the vents which causes the motherboard to overheat and shut down for safety purpose. The fan might be damaged in some case. So you need to replace it. 

See this for more info. This dude had the same problem.

2 hours ago, TheKDub said:

If there's a brightness key on the keyboard, turn on the laptop then try giving that a few taps. Sometimes laptops let you turn the display backlight off completely with the brightness control and people don't know how to turn it back on (with the increase brightness key). Some also have a key for turning the display on/off.

Aside from that, you'd probably have to swap the battery to see if that changes anything. if it still doesn't work, it could've been the backlight dying, or some circuit in the laptop failing. It's hard to tell without pretty much tearing it apart and testing as much as you can with known good parts.

For display failure, you could hook it up to an external monitor to see if it outputs anything. If it does, but the built in display is still dark, RIP the display and/or backlight.

I hooked it up to an external monitor but no change. If I get hopeless I'll strip it and test what I can. I tried upgrading the ram a while ago and realized it only has one slot and it is "ram blocked" (I forgot the correct terminology) so when I put in the new stick of ram and booted I got an error message stating that I have to use a specific type of ram with the model number which was the stick that It had in originally, the website also states only that specific ram can be used so its going to be hard to test some of the stuff.

Thank you for the help so far though.

2 hours ago, Wing_Assault said:

Try cleaning your intake fan vents. It might be due to accumulation of dust and debris in the vents which causes the motherboard to overheat and shut down for safety purpose. The fan might be damaged in some case. So you need to replace it. 

See this for more info. This dude had the same problem.

Thanks for your reply.

When I put in the SSD I was planning to clean it but I was surprised to see that it was still very clean inside and looking through the vents now I can't see any noticeable gunk and I never had heating issues with it. When I said "somewhat warm" I just meant that it wasn't as cold as a laptop that had been off for a few days not beyond normal operating temperature so I doubt its this. Thank you for the video though, it was very entertaining.

5 hours ago, Toshi_141 said:

Thanks for your reply.

When I put in the SSD I was planning to clean it but I was surprised to see that it was still very clean inside and looking through the vents now I can't see any noticeable gunk and I never had heating issues with it. When I said "somewhat warm" I just meant that it wasn't as cold as a laptop that had been off for a few days not beyond normal operating temperature so I doubt its this. Thank you for the video though, it was very entertaining.

Hope you figure out the problem :)