Faulty Brand New RX 570?

Go to solution Solved by Rhaemond,
2 hours ago, Crusader325 said:

yep no popup or warning like that after get in to windows

Well then pretty much I'm at a loss on what the problem is. But judging that your RX570 is new, I am only suspecting 2 things: 1.) A faulty GPU or 2.) Bad drivers/that evil AMD Wattman.

Well, you can also consider part incompatibility or maybe your PSU not being able to deliver enough power to the card, but I believe that's somewhat highly unlikely.

Either way, I hope you get that fixed. Having that problem can really be a btch.

Hi guys!

long story short I upgraded my secondary system with a brand new MSI RX 570.

Full system specs

Ryzen 5 2400G

Asrock AB350M HDV

8GB Corsair Ddr4 2666mhz

Seasonic S12II-450 EVO 450W 

Windows 10 64bit

It was fine at couple of first day, ran game without any problems, but later after playing game for quite a while the screen just froze and had a blank black / gray / red / any colors just depending on what major color on the last scene before the froze. I check the Temps which was fine kept under 70 C while gaming / furmarks. 

The other thing when I tried to update the latest AMD driver (cause I think maybe it was the driver) 19.6.2 and 19.5.2 (also tried a couple other later driver) it always got atikmpag.sys blue screen while installing. The only driver that seems to work are the one coming on the DVD included, and when it happen even the windows recovery cannot help it I've got to reinstall windows to get it booted again. 

I've already tried :

- Using DDU for remove the old driver (already done it a dozen time cause trying a handful of AMD graphic driver) 

- Removing the AMD driver, the one that ties my integrated gpu

- Reinstalling windows 

- Installing the Driver on safe mode

- Reseating the Graphics card

- Latest BIOS on motherboard 

Before I use the integrated graphic without any problem whatsoever, 

since my main system uses nvidia I haven't found the time (I must reinstall the graphics driver) to swap the gpu's around because I used it daily for work. 

Should I RMA it? Or there are solution? 

Anyway any thanks will be appreciated! 

Thanks before.. 

Life Is About What We Are, Not We Were..

6 minutes ago, Crusader325 said:

Hi guys!

long story short I upgraded my secondary system with a brand new MSI RX 570.

Full system specs

Ryzen 5 2400G

Asrock AB350M HDV

8GB Corsair Ddr4 2666mhz

Windows 10 64bit

It was fine at couple of first day, ran game without any problems, but later after playing game for quite a while the screen just froze and had a blank black / gray / red / any colors just depending on what major color on the last scene before the froze. I check the Temps which was fine kept under 70 C while gaming / furmarks. 

The other thing when I tried to update the latest AMD driver (cause I think maybe it was the driver) 19.6.2 and 19.5.2 (also tried a couple other newer driver) it always got atikmpag.sys blue screen while installing. The only driver that seems to work are the one coming on the DVD included, and when it happen even the windows recovery cannot help it I've got to reinstall windows to get it booted again. 

I've already tried :

- Using DDU for remove the old driver (already done it a dozen time cause trying a handful of AMD graphic driver) 

- Reinstalling windows 

- Installing the Driver on safe mode

- Reseating the Graphics card

Before I use the integrated graphic without any problem whatsoever, 

since my main system uses nvidia I haven't found the time (I must reinstall the graphics driver) to swap the gpu's around because I used it daily for work. 

Should I RMA it? Or there are solution? 

Anyway any thanks will be appreciated! 

Thanks before.. 

I had that problem. Pretty much that's AMD wattman fucking up your system. Changed my rx570 to a 1060 and poof problem gone. But I might be wrong, but pretty much since it's a new GPU I can't pinpoint any problem with it... 

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

21 minutes ago, Rhaemond said:

I had that problem. Pretty much that's AMD wattman fucking up your system. Changed my rx570 to a 1060 and poof problem gone. But I might be wrong, but pretty much since it's a new GPU I can't pinpoint any problem with it... 

Hmm interesting if you had the same problem, AMD wattman if I remember correctly the one fiture that save some power right? 

Just now, Crusader325 said:

Hmm interesting if you had the same problem, AMD wattman if I remember correctly the one fiture that save some power right? 

Yep. It comes with the driver, so you can't disable that sht. It pissed me off to the point I actually had to sell it and get a 1060. I don't think I'm ever going back to AMD. I had a Sapphire Rx570 OC edition and damn it was a good GPU, very problematic though. 

If you restart your PC after it crashes and get an "AMD wattman has failed" or something notification at startup, then I can really say that it's wattman ruining your experience. 

12 minutes ago, Rhaemond said:

Yep. It comes with the driver, so you can't disable that sht. It pissed me off to the point I actually had to sell it and get a 1060. I don't think I'm ever going back to AMD. I had a Sapphire Rx570 OC edition and damn it was a good GPU, very problematic though. 

If you restart your PC after it crashes and get an "AMD wattman has failed" or something notification at startup, then I can really say that it's wattman ruining your experience. 

I'm not so sure, I get that after ANY time I'd crash the system while I was doing some stress testing for my CPU undervolt, not even touching the GPU settings yet.

48 minutes ago, Crusader325 said:

How old is this? :o

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I'm not so sure, I get that after ANY time I'd crash the system while I was doing some stress testing for my CPU undervolt, not even touching the GPU settings yet.

Because that's AMD Wattman trying to do its thing and fails hard at it. Dunno why, but AMD still hasn't fixed their shit and I've tried to find a fix but nowhere could it be found

2 hours ago, Rhaemond said:

For me there is no AMD wattman has failed after boot up, 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm not overclocking the cpu or gpu currently 

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

How old is this? :o

About 6 month, I bought it brand new at that time 

15 minutes ago, Crusader325 said:

For me there is no AMD wattman has failed after boot up, 

I'm not overclocking the cpu or gpu currently 

About 6 month, I bought it brand new at that time 

"Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected system failure"

This hasn't happened yet?

On 6/27/2019 at 12:18 PM, Rhaemond said:

"Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected system failure"

This hasn't happened yet?

2 hours ago, Crusader325 said:

Well then pretty much I'm at a loss on what the problem is. But judging that your RX570 is new, I am only suspecting 2 things: 1.) A faulty GPU or 2.) Bad drivers/that evil AMD Wattman.

Well, you can also consider part incompatibility or maybe your PSU not being able to deliver enough power to the card, but I believe that's somewhat highly unlikely.

Either way, I hope you get that fixed. Having that problem can really be a btch.

• 4 months later...

Late update, but it was indeed faulty GPU after i RMA it things works fine