240Hz + Slomo + shoot on mouse click = WHAAT ?!

PorCus

Hey there !

So I just stumbled on that LTT video (search: Does 240Hz Matter for Gaming ft. Gav from Slow Mo Guys) and I noticed something that I thought was gone for ages in the world of the " knowledgeable " players.

In that video, Edzel, Gavin and Linus look like they are shooting with the mouse (left ?) click. So first, I would love to have confirmation that I'm not mistaken, but at least there are some shots where Gavin and Linus are using only their right hand to aim AND shoot.

I think some of the old CS (1.6) and Quake 3 high end player of the beginning of the century (yeah that's close to 20 years ago) in Geneva (and probably somewhere else) were shooting with the keyboard to avoid any aiming alteration effects during the mouse click. I remember that this move change my life totally when I started being used to it. Railgun in rocket arena was way easier, and rocket jumps were also more precise.

What are your thoughts ?

PS : I would take any challenges on that, because I don't have anything capable of (decent-current) gaming anymore (doom or Q3 who be ok-ish) and I don't even have a non-movable computer anymore (not counting servers). 

Nobody really does that that I've seen anymore. At this point you can drop the DPI so low that a bit of wobble from a mouse click is negligible (and once you learn how to sling your mouse around you'll have better accuracy as an added bonus). Hell, I play at 2000DPI at 1080p and even when shit goes sideways in Insurgency my shots are never altered from clicking because I've just formed muscle memory to counter whatever might happen.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Literally everybody uses the mouse to shoot.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Damn, I must be really old school on that, I will gather some info of my buddies. I must have missed some of the changes in the last decades. True that the mouses have became sharper and the sensitivity on click must be tune-able. 

4 hours ago, PorCus said:

I think some of the old CS (1.6) and Quake 3 high end player of the beginning of the century (yeah that's close to 20 years ago) in Geneva (and probably somewhere else) were shooting with the keyboard to avoid any aiming alteration effects during the mouse click. I remember that this move change my life totally when I started being used to it. Railgun in rocket arena was way easier, and rocket jumps were also more precise.

What are your thoughts ?

I've never done that even when I was playing FPS games back then. If I was using the keyboard to shoot, it's because the game didn't have mouse support or mouse support was hokey at best.

Besides that, throwing your aim off while clicking to me just sounds like poor hand control. It's a similar thing with handguns. Half the reason why anyone sucks with them is because they can't keep their hands steady while they pull the trigger, so they aim just slightly off.

I have remapped in some occasion the fire button but it was to remap it to the mousewheel so it stayed on the mouse