watercooling questions

linus7

i was considering to switch to watercooling...
so how does it work? i just install it and im good to go? do i need to refill it after some time and check for leaks?  

Well you must have a stock graphics card (reference) most waterblock designers and manufacturers develop waterblock coolers for mainly the reference type. A processor block may be necessary too. Ram blocks aren't essential since ram doesn't get too hot. for motherboards at least some do need them.

A reservoir and pump is needed. Coolant, tubing and radiators too.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Check out Linus' build guide video where he does an overkill build. most of the stuff he says there applies to watercooling in general.

who cares...

Leak checking time is only done on the build / test period. from time to time check if the res has still a decent amount of fluid (that's when adding a fill port is quite useful)

Every year or so, you may want to check everything again, replacing the fluid and so. Most of high quality components don't need this, but doing maintenance is always good.

Overall it takes more of your time compared to plain air cooling, cleaning a watercooled rig takes longer and it can be trickier. 

Are you looking at a fully custom water cooling solution or an all in one solution such as the Corsair H100i/H105/etc?

If the latter, there is no real maintenance once installed.  Put it in and go, no refilling, you should watch for leaks, but it's not going to be much of a problem.

For a full custom loop, check out some how-to video's.

Are you looking at a fully custom water cooling solution or an all in one solution such as the Corsair H100i/H105/etc?

If the latter, there is no real maintenance once installed.  Put it in and go, no refilling, you should watch for leaks, but it's not going to be much of a problem.

For a full custom loop, check out some how-to video's.

i was looking at the  Corsair H100i on a cpu 

that requires a maintenance ? 

No maintenance on the H100i.  Install it per the instructions and go.

Cool what about things such radiators? 

The H100i is an all in one solution.  So the pump/block/radiator/fluid/reservoir/fans all come with the product and is all put together in the box.

All you have to do is install it.

The H100i is an all in one solution.  So the pump/block/radiator/fluid/reservoir/fans all come with the product and is all put together in the box.

All you have to do is install it.

and when the fluid runs out i just refill it right? or do i have to buy a new one in that case?(yea sorry for the noob questions i just never used a liquid cooler before)

and when the fluid runs out i just refill it right? or do i have to buy a new one in that case?(yea sorry for the noob questions i just never used a liquid cooler before)

It's a closed system, there's no where for the liquid to go, so you shouldn't ever have to refill it.

It's a closed system, there's no where for the liquid to go, so you shouldn't ever have to refill it.

if one of the fans fails on me i can replace it ? how do i know if the cooler died ?

Well you must have a stock graphics card (reference) most waterblock designers and manufacturers develop waterblock coolers for mainly the reference type. A processor block may be necessary too. Ram blocks aren't essential since ram doesn't get too hot. for motherboards at least some do need them.

A reservoir and pump is needed. Coolant, tubing and radiators too.

not true at all, there are plenty of non ref cards out there with waterblocks for them.  Just make sure there is a waterblock (and available, not on some ETA-less backorder) for the card you buy

To the OP, before you do the build, whats the reason you want to go watercooled?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

if one of the fans fails on me i can replace it ? how do i know if the cooler died ?

Yes, fans can be replaced.

With the h100i, there is software involved to keep track of temps...i'm sure it would tell you if there was a pump failure(although I can't confirm that).  You will also know by CPU temps soaring.  Possibly also by not hearing the slight sound the pump makes.

An addendum to this note. Closed loop coolers across the industry are only rated to be maintenance-free (no refill and such) for a certain amount of years. They are completely sealed, but due to the properties of the setup and tube material the liquid will evaporate over time (i.e. several years). There's no magic solution for consumer closed loop coolers that will prevent that. This natural evaporation is very slow and should never harm your system. They will typically work without issue for their rated life and beyond with only small drops in performance over time that will vary depending on several factors.

Other options have come up within the last year or so from both Cooler Master and Swiftech. This is the Eisberg and Glacer for us and H220 and such for Swiftech. These are shipped as closed loop coolers that operate maintenance-free, but can be refilled and even disassembled for future upgrades to portions of the loop. Their prices are typically competitive with the higher end closed loop coolers from Corsair and other companies.