Is it illegal to train an Ai on copyrighted images

Mad153

Hello,

i've created an AI for education reasons - i have not distrbuted it yet, that uses a bunch of random and probably copyrighted material ripped of google, using a browser addon.

However I want to distribute it as i think it is cool and could solve a small problem that i find annoying (and probably many others). (I won't go into detail).

It compares an image with its model of what people look like and decides if the image given to it is a person in the form of a percentage sure.

Is this legal if i distribute it without the training data?

I couldn't find any straight answers off other sites, so I came here.

Thanks

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

The material itself is whats copyrighted, nothing else, just the material. Anything made with its use is not subject to that materials copyright, such as AI learning, art (in any form), or works influenced by it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

No, because as you claim, it's for educational purposes which is protected under fair use.

Some fun trivia, the first image to be used to create the JPEG standard was a scan of a Playboy centerfold. (Playboy magazine obviously wasn't pleased but they didn't have a case)

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

No, because as you claim, it's for educational purposes which is protected under fair use.

Some fun trivia, the first image to be used to create the JPEG standard was a scan of a Playboy centerfold. (Playboy magazine obviously wasn't pleased but they didn't have a case)

I think I haven't been clear enough.

if i distrbute it as a download to everyone on the interwebz, as a part of a non educational program, is that legal?

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

I think I haven't been clear enough.

if i distrbute it as a download to everyone on the interwebz, as a part of a non educational program, is that legal?

No.

You could infer this from my JPEG trivia. They used a copyrighted image to derive the algorithm. The algorithm was released anyway without issue.