How do I Clone HDD to SSD with Windows on a New Computer?

dannymormon
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,
54 minutes ago, dannymormon said:

So I'm about to get my first pc in a couple weeks and I'm wondering how I'd be able to clone my current hard drive to the new ssd so that all the files, programs, and settings are the same if I were to boot from the new pc.

Right now I'm using a laptop with a single HDD, but my new one will use an SSD. I'm also on Windows 8.1 as of now, but I want to update to Windows 10 on my new pc. How exactly would I go about this?

Also, if I were to boot using the cloned SSD without having Windows activated on my computer (I'm going to buy it separately if necessary), would my system still be usable? All help is appreciated~

Install Macrium Reflect.

Then prepare bootable usb (it's called "Rescue USB" - you can find it in "Other Tasks" - "Create Rescue Media").

Then plug both drives into your new build computer and boot from that Rescue Media USB.

Cloning will be easy - it's just drag&drop program with few common tasks. You can resize partition while cloning (or shrink) to fit your new drive.

Then all you need is to boot from your new drive on new computer. Windows will be unactivated (because of hardware change) but other than that - everything will be the same. At first boot Windows install propoer drivers for your computer. If not - you can install them by downloading from manufacturer's website (the same as you do when you made new install and need drivers).

If you want to get rid of old drivers and you know what you're doing - use Ghostbuster tool (but it's not needed and I don't recommend that if you're unexperienced user).

So I'm about to get my first pc in a couple weeks and I'm wondering how I'd be able to clone my current hard drive to the new ssd so that all the files, programs, and settings are the same if I were to boot from the new pc.

Right now I'm using a laptop with a single HDD, but my new one will use an SSD. I'm also on Windows 8.1 as of now, but I want to update to Windows 10 on my new pc. How exactly would I go about this?

Also, if I were to boot using the cloned SSD without having Windows activated on my computer (I'm going to buy it separately if necessary), would my system still be usable? All help is appreciated~

The best is to just make a clean install of the new system with new Win10 etc. 

As for the files, just connect the old hdd to the PC and copy everything over manually. 

install the other Programms new as well. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

.. and you can just download W10 and make a bootable USB. Install now an register it later when you buy your copy.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

-

54 minutes ago, dannymormon said:

Install Macrium Reflect.

Then prepare bootable usb (it's called "Rescue USB" - you can find it in "Other Tasks" - "Create Rescue Media").

Then plug both drives into your new build computer and boot from that Rescue Media USB.

Cloning will be easy - it's just drag&drop program with few common tasks. You can resize partition while cloning (or shrink) to fit your new drive.

Then all you need is to boot from your new drive on new computer. Windows will be unactivated (because of hardware change) but other than that - everything will be the same. At first boot Windows install propoer drivers for your computer. If not - you can install them by downloading from manufacturer's website (the same as you do when you made new install and need drivers).

If you want to get rid of old drivers and you know what you're doing - use Ghostbuster tool (but it's not needed and I don't recommend that if you're unexperienced user).

22 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Install Macrium Reflect.

Thanks for the help.

As for upgrading to Windows 10, I'm guessing I should do that once I'm done with the other steps on my new computer?

I also have a hard drive enclosure with me, so am i able to clone using that from my laptop rather than using the USB to clone from the new build? 

3 hours ago, dannymormon said:

Thanks for the help.

As for upgrading to Windows 10, I'm guessing I should do that once I'm done with the other steps on my new computer?

I also have a hard drive enclosure with me, so am i able to clone using that from my laptop rather than using the USB to clone from the new build? 

Use USB created with Marcium as boot drive anyway. I recommend to clone system that is not in use (do not clone system when you're working on the same system). You can clone on any computer or laptop - it's your choice (it may be longer, because USB is slower than SATA).