AMD Development vs Intel

With Intel spending about as much on research and development each year being about the same as AMD's total enterprise value, how is AMD able to keep up?

1 minute ago, ShadySocks said:

With Intel spending about as much on research and development each year being about the same as AMD's total enterprise value, how is AMD able to keep up?

Intel hasn't been doing much since bulldozer and chiplets are great

Just watch all of the adored videos pretty much.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Intel hasn't been doing much since bulldozer and chiplets are great

Just watch all of the adored videos pretty much.

So basically intel has been throwing their money into a black hole. Seems plausible...

16 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

So basically intel has been throwing their money into a black hole. Seems plausible...

They just weren't innovating for desktop or higher end CPUs much, not too many IPC gains since the 4000 series overall. and even 2600Ks could hit 5ghz

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

In terms of gaming design, AMD has always been fighting just to keep up with the Intel line (and unsuccessful), but has been able to handily undercut the pricing on their market share. So really it always falls to high price, high performance vs lower price, lower performance. Many people opt to pay less and upgrade more frequently, at the cost of some performance loss.

Ryzen was a BIG step for AMD, since it really cut out a lot of the issues the previous series were facing. (Mostly longevity issues.) It closed the gap a bit on gaming performance, and put them distinctly on the map as a multi-core performer. So they generally win in the realm of "What's best for a rendering and gaming pc?" or even "What's best for a gaming, recording and streaming pc?" Since their multi core is that much stronger than Intel's and the single core loss is a lesser blow.

Zen 2 is making big claims in terms of performance boost. Claiming that they will overtake 9th gen Intel chips in single core performance (gaming.) If they are successful, then the market will have a clearly dominant manufacturer until Intel figures out what they are going to do to combat it. AMD will be a clear winner in Multi Core stuff, as they have been for a while, and may well be the best in single core here soon. Even if they match or come REALLY close to matching... There will be no reason to buy an Intel chip until the next gen answers.

46 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Intel's R&D-costs include a whole lot more than just CPU- and GPU-research. They do a shitton of research on all sorts of accessibility-stuff, AI, computer-vision and so on and so forth, whereas AMD just spend their R&D mostly on CPU- and GPU-research. This is to say, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

because Intel's money goes to storage (QLC, 3D Xpoint), AI, GPU, special optimization for their CPUs, 10nm etc. Unlike AMD which focuses its money on CPUs and GPUs only.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I think to a degree there is also a bit of intel getting complacent with their place at the top. They've been number one for so long that they seem to have been stumbling a bit lately, just look at their troubles getting to 10 nm and lower. They must be facing a significant problem with miniaturizing their architecture in a way that produces batches with decent yields if they've been working on it this long.

Like mentioned above their broader overall focus could definitely contribute to some of that as well. Meanwhile AMD has focused their more limited research into some specific areas in an attempt to get ahead. Most of which are things that on top of being functionally beneficial also happen to be very marketable. More cores, low nm design, the new pcie functions, all that stuff looks great on a description sheet. Then with those squared away they've been working on the more functional items like lower power usage and actual across the board performance increases.

The combination of these two things may end up meaning that for the first time in a long time we see AMD in a position to actually capture a relatively decent amount of market share. At the very least their stock prices seem to indicate that a lot of investors think AMD stock is going to see good returns over the next few years, and with all the other deals they've been working on with consoles, apples,and other embedded devices it probably will.

1 hour ago, ShadySocks said:

Couple of thoughts here: the 10nm process buildout has had very major time and cost overruns, limiting Intel’s options. And the desktop CPU market isn’t very important so Intel was never all that concerned about pushing performance on the desktop when AMD was off doing Bulldozer things. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Intel is diversified; AMD is not.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x