I'm furious [story]

ballkrissz

So I weren't sure about where to post this, as I'm new to this community (I also added a TLDR, and I also typed this on a phone, and I'm also tired, its almost 2:30AM here.), but it's mainly related to Windows 10, so here it is: 

So first of all, I don't know how, or if this is even possible at all, but it seems like Windows somehow caused my pc to slow down significantly. Now, let's start at the beginning. 2 days ago, I noticed my pc was acting up a bit, but I dismissed it, because it was temporary, and I could continue playing games perfectly fine. Next day, when I tried to run multiple apps at once (e.g. my browser, Discord, Steam, and Bethesda's launcher) my screen went black for a sec, and then some apps (Discord, and the Bethesda launcher) wouls completely glitch out when it came back. It started to appear more frequently, and I noticed that after these glitches some apps wouldn't even detect my gpu. So naturally, I start checking my drivers, and I actually was missing a few updates, and when I tried to update installation failed, but I managed to completely reinstall the Nvidia driver in the end. Now it' fixed, right? Oh no, no it isn't. It went fine for a few secs, and then it started again. (At this point I should mention that I haven't tried any games, because I just couldn't bother). So I look around everywhere, but I couldn't find the issue, so I gave up. Next day, I tought why not give it a try, what if a restart after driver installations fixed the issue. I turn my pc on, everythig looks a lot better, I'm optimistic, I lauch a game. I tried playing, but framarates where horrible, running anything else would cause even more slownes, and sound glitches also started to appear. I stop gaming, and start running benchmarks, and stuff to see what's happening. Thing is, that through benchmark software everything seemed fine, but it hit me, that I should also monitor performance through Task Manager, and that's where I realised, that while I was running a benchmark, Aida64 would tell me that my cpu usage is 100%, but it was actually, around 60%, and my cpu's core clock also throttled down significantly, from a base clock of 3.7 GHz to around 2.6GHz. I naturally check temps and such, but I just couldn't find the issue. So I finally give up, and head over to turn my pc off. That's where I notice the option to "update and restart", and I tought "ok, whatever, this computer doesn't work anymore either way, I don't care." And to be fair windows has been bogging me to update for a long time now, so I click it. It updates, I runa Aida64  last time, and while checking on task manager, my cpu actually seemed to be turboing up to 3.8 and 3.9 GHz at times, and I checked it on actual games, and it seemed to work well. I was happy that it's fixed, don't get me wrong, but I'm straight up FURIOUS, that windows actually slowed my pc down (and idk if that's even supposed to be possible), because I didn't want to update. I mean like what the hell, guys? Really?

So yeah. I just wanted to share my story of my long and painful last 2 days.

TL;DR : My pc was acting up, and it took me 2 whole days to realise it may have been just windows slowing my cpu down, because I didn't update, and now I feel dumb.

...At least it seems to be working now.

22 minutes ago, ballkrissz said:

working now

Until the next time...

Windows 10 blows goats.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, Queen Chrysallis said:

as someone who's soon to join Win10 due to being forced outta Win7 cuz security updates ending, its not pleasing to hear that an update can fuck shit up that much

Windows 9 is a thing.

I'm using it now. All the benefits of Win7, with full updates (that you control) until 2024, none of the drawbacks of Win10, no spyware or telemetry or any of that shit. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I can't help but *facepalm* when I see people on the internet complaining about Windows 10 spying.  There are so many more points of worry these days than what Windows 10 does.  I can only assume that anyone who claims to be avoiding Windows 10 for this reason doesn't own a cell phone of any kind, correct?  Let's stick to useful, relevant, factual information on these forums.

All that being said, no OS is perfect.  However, most issues involving updates can be traced down to some underlying system inconsistency.  In my experience, it's usually a driver that hasn't been updated.  We're running Windows 10 Pro across 200 laptops.  We've had some failed updates that have caused slowness or issues booting.  The issues aren't frequent, because our staff are tech savvy and keep their systems lean and updated.  However, the few issues we have had can be traced to the Dell update utility not being run for a year or so.  Old Intel WiFi drivers have resulted in connectivity issues with our Cisco apps after OS updates.  Second monitors have dropped due to old Intel graphics drivers.  

On 6/19/2019 at 7:47 AM, DeaconFrost said:

There are so many more points of worry these days than what Windows 10 does.

So that makes it okay?

On 6/19/2019 at 7:47 AM, DeaconFrost said:

doesn't own a cell phone of any kind, correct?

strawman argument. 

Your argument is based on over-hyped nonsense, subscribed to only by people who aren't very knowledgeable in the field.  Call it whatever you want, life goes on.  You get laughed off most tech-related forums for making comments like yours.  Spend your time hiding under your desk worrying about the world, if you must, but it's going to be wasted on trying to argue this with me.

I was forced to update from Win8.1 to Win10 because Adobe was no longer supporting photo apps on Win8.1.  I bought Win10 Pro and configured the updates to delay install by an appropriate amount of time until bugs have been worked out.  I did a fresh install of Win10 on a new SSD and everything went just fine using the MSFT downloaded install ISO.  I have had zero issues with Windows and was surprised at how little disk space it takes up.  As far as the telemetry issue goes, I could care less.  So much of my stuff is already out on the Internet (though I have stayed completely away from Facebook) and it's pretty difficult to stay 100% anonymous these days.  there are a lot of other things to be worried about these days than what Win10 does or doesn't do.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

I do not believe one bit Windows intentionally slowed your PC down because you did not install updates.

Most likely the update you installed fixed a bug with in Windows causing the "slow down".

23 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

I do not believe one bit Windows intentionally slowed your PC down because you did not install updates.

Most likely the update you installed fixed a bug with in Windows causing the "slow down".

That could very easily be the case, but then it's weird, because it didn't occur before

Why are you furious? 

Theres no way that Windows was slowing you down because you didnt update.

Most likely its just been going into hybrid sleep and hasnt actually had a proper restart to reload all the binaries in a long time. 

So when you did Update & Restart, its actually properly shut down the OS

Under Power Options > System Settings untick the Fast Startup

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA