xbox controller

Tamesh16

so just quick question, 

my xbox controller (plain white xbox one controller) click in the left stick got damaged some how, so clicking in the stick is delayed or takes very hard press to activate, 

i played far cry 5 a lot which clicking in the left stick is to slide, so i was mashing it a lot, not sure if thats the fault or that i travel with it in my bag a lot so might have damaged there, 

just wondering if anyone else has this issue,

cause i want to get a new controller, but i dont want it to break again that fast, ( it broke in like 6-7 months) 

was thinking to get the pro controller that comes in the case, but its a bit expensive 

Edit: the 'x' button would stick sometimes, not sure if thats any help, i bought it from best buy, i am hoping i just got a crappy controller, because i usually hear great things about xbox controllers

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

um, all i can say is that you should treat it better. 

ive got really old xbox controllers still holding on just fine. so it could be an anecdote. 

26 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

so just quick question, 

my xbox controller (plain white xbox one controller) click in the left stick got damaged some how, so clicking in the stick is delayed or takes very hard press to activate, 

i played far cry 5 a lot which clicking in the left stick is to slide, so i was mashing it a lot, not sure if thats the fault or that i travel with it in my bag a lot so might have damaged there, 

just wondering if anyone else has this issue,

cause i want to get a new controller, but i dont want it to break again that fast, ( it broke in like 6-7 months) 

was thinking to get the pro controller that comes in the case, but its a bit expensive 

Edit: the 'x' button would stick sometimes, not sure if thats any help, i bought it from best buy, i am hoping i just got a crappy controller, because i usually hear great things about xbox controllers

ummm, the joysticks have a small tactile button in them. The switches have tiny plastic 'actuator?', if you hulk smashed it, the 'key-cap?' is probably deformed now (or something else). replacement part

As far as your 'x' button, its just a membrane switch. I would dissemble the controller and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol, or ethanol.

image.png.cd938b42bcffecc25a9ecb78fb51f075.png

Edit: This edit was sponsored by ifixit 'take it apart good' guide

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

um, all i can say is that you should treat it better. 

ive got really old xbox controllers still holding on just fine. so it could be an anecdote. 

Just FIY, that does NOT hold up.
The first batch of Controllers usually are better then their brothers that are younger.
Later 360 controllers and now the later XboxOne controllers also almost fall apart when you look at it.

I have not done any scientific research on this but this is my experience with both Xbox and Playstation controllers.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 minutes ago, KeyboardCowboy said:

ummm, the joysticks have a small tactile button in them. The switches have tiny plastic 'actuator?', if you hulk smashed it, the 'key-cap?' is probably deformed now (or something else). replacement part

As far as your 'x' button, its just a membrane switch. I would dissemble the controller and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol, or ethanol.

Edit: This edit was sponsored by ifixit 'take it apart good' guide

The plastic on top is just a sort of keycap for the switch underneath. The switch underneath is kind of a 'hill' which if pressed down actuates the L3 button. With enough force you could very well break that switch, but that really takes a certain type of abuse..

These sort of switches are also common on Nintendo handhelds as they are used for the shoulder button. I have only once seen one of these broken..

The X button is indeed a membrane over a PCB, but if the button sticks like OP suggests it might just be some dirt stuck between the button and shell. Disassembly would be wise, as OP would need to replace the L3 button anyways.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Just FIY, that does NOT hold up.
The first batch of Controllers usually are better then their brothers that are younger.

Later 360 controllers and now the later XboxOne controllers also almost fall apart when you look at it.

ive got early and late sample xbox 360 controllers. they are all holding up just fine. 

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I have not done any scientific research on this but this is my experience with both Xbox and Playstation controllers.

neither have i, but ive heard of controllers breaking, and i can assume it is due to dust or other particles manging to enter the controller or a switch that doesnt hold up to standards of others fail. 

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

neither have i, but ive heard of controllers breaking, and i can assume it is due to dust or other particles manging to enter the controller or a switch that doesnt hold up to standards of others fail. 

Well at first they design the controller, later in the production they find out they can make due with less material over time weakening the overall structure. That is fact.
All manufacterers do that.
My assumption on that is that the newer ones break more easily. Thats why my PS4 Controller i got with my PS4 when it was new is still working while some other newer controllers have already given up. (only 2 of them but still. (1 left control stick came loose and the other the left stick wouldnt correctly center)). 

edit ps. i use the controllers daily for competative Rocket League play. So its not like im going easy on 'm. :)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

My assumption on that is that the newer ones break more easily. Thats why my PS4 Controller i got with my PS4 when it was new is still working while some other newer controllers have already given up. (only 2 of them but still. (1 left control stick came loose and the others the left stick wouldnt correctly center)). 

never experienced any of that, even though ive got both late and early production models. all of them are still working. why do i have 6 controllers you might ask? well we have owned a total of 4 xboxes. 

4 hours ago, KeyboardCowboy said:

As far as your 'x' button, its just a membrane switch.

i did follow ifixit and i fixed the x button issue with using some rubbing alcohol, i also tried to look at the left joy stick exactly where you pointed out and i didnt see anything wrong, i think it was inside the switch where it actually activates is the issue

however i stopped using the controller after the issue and managed to misplace it so , fixing it now isnt really a solution,

but just wondering if this is a normal occurrence, or happened to get a bad controller

also i didnt throw around  my controller, the most it was faced with any turmoil was when i carried it in my bag when i was traveling and that backpack had only my laptop and a charger in it along with the controller so dont think it was "hulk smashed"

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy