Linux. Which Flavor Is Your Flavor?

I currently use debian testing both on my laptop and my main desktop.My old desktop has a gentoo linux,and I am still using it as a homeserver.(I would probably install gentoo on my desktop,but I don't have the time to do so,though summer is coming.)
The first ever linux distro I used was when I was 5,playing pingus on Knoppix.
After that at the age of 12 I started of with ubuntu,4 months later switched to fedora and since then tried other distros too.In the end I fell in love with gentoo and debian,I also want to try archlinux sometime.

Here's a picture of my debian testing on my main pc.

post-18782-0-52707100-1367972956_thumb.p

Using awesome window manager.

• 3 weeks later...

fedora.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

• 2 months later...

Oracle Linux (ie RHEL 6... fedora)

I happen to be installing this now on another server

post-3852-0-59497500-1376503364.png

I want to install Arch. Of all the distributions, I found it suited me the most: it's a bit more involved than Ubuntu and other simpler options, but not as involved as Gentoo (which I had a brief stint with on a server). Unfortunately, I've had issues getting the Wireless network up and running from the getgo to proceed with the installation (they switched to a network install, iirc, which basically forces the installer to update to the newest packages without going through the installation media).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I would say for me would be Ubuntu.

THE PIT VIPER SPECS

4790k @ 4.7ghz  (EVGA CLC 360MM) | 32GB Patriot Viper Extreme @2133 mhz | Asus Z97-DELUXE Cooler Master H500M.| EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

Crunchbang since it is very clean and simple. Its is very customizable and lets me do what i want. Wish i could run games on it....but oh well windows will have to do.

ps. have it on laptop not pc

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

Both my laptop and my desktop run Crunchbang Linux with the 3.10 kernel to support the hardware that is not supported in the default 3.2 kernel. My home server runs Debian Stable as it is a headless server, on which I don't want to waste disk space on a GUI and the packages with which CrunchBang ships.

For me, the major pros of CrunchBang include:

• It is extremely lightweight and has nothing I'd consider bloat
  • It comes with the minimal OpenBox window manager, my favorite
  • It comes with nearly everything I need, and nothing i don't
  • It uses APT and Synaptic, the systems I'm used to
  • A reinstall is a breeze, and takes less time in comparison to Debian
  • the post-install script saves me a lot of time as well

As for Debian:

• It is extremely minimal if you uncheck the GUI during the installation
  • It is unbelievably stable, last week my server had an up time of 130 days and ran just as great as when i started it

The cons:

• Although I'm used to it, the output that APT gives is very verbose and unintuitive
  • Debian stable ships, although to be expected, with a very outdated kernel (3.2)

tsoDm9a.jpg

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

• 1 year later...

Ubuntu is awesome. For me, it's easy to use. A lot of people say it's not, but they come with a software center and everything. I enjoy typing to download commands in the terminal too..

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

I have tried many flavors. The ones that stuck were Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I did enjoy Manjaro for a while, but I love the other two so much that I couldn't stay away. I recently reinstalled Ubuntu as I don goof'd with the root (trying to learn more about Linux), so this is what I got for now:

2LrLeua.jpg

I love Ubuntu. I didn't much like 12.04 because I could never get it stable, but they have since made my frustrations vanish. It is stable, fast, beautiful and a ton of fun to mess with. I don't know if I'm just being crazy,  but to install Chivalry: Medieval Warfare it took an hour and a half to finish, but on Ubuntu/Mint it took thirty minutes. What's up with that? Anyways, also love writing on this system because I can customize the software and colors so that I do not have to stare a bright white screen while typing or read/studying.

Superb!  :wub:

Oh, and for Linux Mint I use the Cinnamon desktop environment. Absolutely love Mint. <33

Ubuntu because it's rock solid stable and easily customizable out of the box.

That is beautiful! :tears of happiness:

Could you share the wallpaper? And is that a Conky theme displaying your system info? Never seen that one before, looks great!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Mint Cinnamon... I'm not exactly a fan of vanilla Ubuntu and Peppermint... (yes all of those are linux distros)

Elementary is good too...

Elementary OS is great too! Very sleek and fast, from what I remember (I was fiddling around with it for a while). Loved the UI but it wasn't really all that different besides the environment so I just went back to the others. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

That is beautiful! :tears of happiness:

Could you share the wallpaper? And is that a Conky theme displaying your system info? Never seen that one before, looks great!

Wallpaper

Yes, I spent a few hours customizing it using CONKY-colors for the icons.

I've used mainly Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSUSE and ArchLinux.

But after 12.04 Ubuntu got too crappy for my taste [especially on my server / streaming PC with a very very old ATI Radeon 3870, which won't work properly anymore after 12.04] and Amazon integration. Lol. No.

I like Debian for being rock solid and there's probably no distro even remotely as stable as Debian.

Yet, the one I came to love to most is.

Arch Linux.

Using it on my main rig [5960x / MSI Xpower AC / 16GB 2666 / 290x / Dual Boot with WIn8.1 for games and very few applications]

My server, media PC w/e [i3 2125 / Gigabyte H77 / 4GB (atm, got 8 and 16gb kits laying around, should use them somewhen =P)]

And my ultrabook [sony Vaio Pro 13, i5 4200U / 8gb ].

Now, the probably most prominent downside to arch is setting it up. While I have done it a few times [and still use a YouTube-Tutorial on how to] and you basically run into special stuff you'll have to Google and get sorted out. WHile it's a lot more... unfriendly to set up than a somewhat graphical install, you kind of get more insight in what the hell you actually are doing. And you actually learn something about the system you're using.

so:

Pro:

• Very very fast system
  • No bloatware, only the things YOU install
  • Rolling release -> Always the newest version.
  • Customization without ends.
  • Nothing beats Pacman + AUR, you'll find basically ANYTHING [appart from SPSS 22, I wouldn't look for it if I payed attention at R-class ;P]
  • Updating the system is a lot quicker than on Debian based distros (Mint, Ubuntu, ...) -> pacman -Syu  vs. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoclean
  • While less user friendly at first, very educational and fun to use. "Arch Linux is the gamification of Linux for nerds"

Cons:

• A bitch to set up compared to "normal" distros [Especially on very vendor specific hardware like my VAIO Pro, that took for ever, especially the EFI]
  • You run into situation, where you'll have to download a lot of dependencies, if you install a new program, sometimes you'll have to find them manually at the AUR.
  • Less user friendly, or rather less noob friendly [don't get me wrong, not that much of a pro myself, but with arch you learn something new every day :D]
  • As with every linux distros, there's stuff that won't work properly until you take the time to find the problem and fix it.

Screenshot:
post-2187-0-28003700-1421887664_thumb.pn

Using mainly Gnome 3. Playing around with KDE on my server thingy but rather for the lulz. I find the user experience of Gnome3 to be superior to any other GUI [From mac to windows to other linux GUIs, kinda in <3 with Gnome 3, working so much faster]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I see a least on person here (A mod no less :D) also uses Arch, so *highfive* for him :3

I currently use ArchLinux on my laptop, with KDE5.2, but it's slightly broken due to the way KDE updates, but that is my fault, so no big deal :P

In the past, I started with ubuntu, when I was getting tired of widows or just wanted a change, or to poke things. From there I experimented for a while, and eventually moved on to distro hopping. I think at one point, I managed to stuff windows, plus 3 or 4 linux distros onto a single 330GB hdd. Was quite interesting as far as starting the computer . . . 

Now, instead of Distrohopping, I can just kinda desktop hop lol. One arch, with all the different desktops i like :P

Included Snapshot :3

KWoEdhH.jpg

@Lord_Sunday12

I had the Distro hopping problem as well, for like four months. Eventually I settled on Mint, which has generally given me a smoother experience than any other OS. I tried Arch but I kept breaking it because I like to fiddle too much. :lol:  Have you tried Manjaro? It is like ArchLinux but I suppose you could say it is more "friendly" to users.

@Albatross no, but I have heard of it. Most problems I've ever had with arch, I've been able to figure out without extensive talking to people. I've had to do a little irc chat and a little forums posting though, and I can confirm, a lot of arch users are straight up dicks -.-

Arch Linux

Love that I can customize the OS to how I like it rather than having a bunch of crap that I will never use.

Very lightweight.

Great support online.

Teaches a lot about linux.

Dislikes:

Steep learning curve, eased with http://www.evolutionlinux.com/

With a bleeding edge rolling release, bugs are bound to appear

Screenshot:

hTNDCc5.png