Linux. Which Flavor Is Your Flavor?

THIS. THIS IS AN AMAZING REVIEW!

*EDIT: Creating template after thin on main post.

Haha, thanks. One does what one can :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

ArchLinux here too^^

Pretty much the exact same reasons alpenwasser said.

Although i'm more the type for "shiny" Deskops :D But, even that can be acomplished with a bit of work...(i don't know why Imageshack turned the pictures that small...)

That's Mate, paired up with Compiz....very fast, but Mate had some not so nice bugs, like the black status bar in the task bar...

monmay71350392012.jpg

Then there was another experiment with Rainmeter...looked quite good, but was very heavy on that old Core2Duo in my Laptop (wich is now sold, btw^^)

33502629260851745211914.jpg

Good news everyone...!

You've just reminded me that I still have not yet installed Archey.

And that rainmeter shot looks like something out of Minority Report, very Sci-Fi :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Well, the rainmeter experiment was ment to be something from tron legacy :D

Archey is very cool...simple, elegant...KISS ;)

Good news everyone...!

Crunchbang. Every time I try something else, I last a few days and go back. It's so awesome.

This. I have tried the following distro's for at least a day or 2.

debian

crunchbang

arch

gentoo

ubuntu

mint

and fedora

But... I just can't escape crunchbang. It's essentially debian that's really easy to install, and has everything you need out of the box with no bloat. Everything works, it looks good, uses 100mb idle ram, and is extremely stable. The only other distro i'v spent a while with is arch, and that's because I love to tinker and arch is amazing for that.

However, with tinkering comes breakages, and I didn't have the time to keep fixing it, hence the constant going back to crunchbang. Mint and ubuntu for me are just too bloated, too slow, etc. Hope this helps someone.

edit: heres my minimal desktop:

screenshot-290413-215413.png

I mainly use cli because well, it's faster than navigating through an 'easy to use' gui.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Linux SUSE is my favorite, but not for the functionality of it, because of what you can do thinking outside of the box with it ;) 

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I'm kinda split.

I love CentOS because it's rock-solid stable and gets great long-term support, being an equivalent to RHEL; it's a good "set and forget" os. However that excellent stability comes at the price of long wait periods for new features, since they're tested, tested, and retested to be absolutely bug free. I also like it's adaptability to be a great workstation, server, or virtualization platform (or any combination thereof).

On the other hand, I also enjoy Sabayon because it's bleeding edge and gets the cool new toys before most of the other kids on the block. However, that comes at the cost of stability since any new features have not had the bugs ironed out (I once installed an update that completely broke x.org's ability to render font). I also really like the Sabayon dev team's mission statement of just wanting to provide an excellent user experience that's not backed by any political or commercial agenda.

CentOS and Sabayon are more-or-less opposites, but I love 'em.

Debian is def the way to go.

Pros:

aptitude is miles better than yum.

better package management.

better memory management.

Lighttpd is so much cleaner on it.

Cons: 

none?

Ubuntu and Mint are my favourites. 

I dual boot W8 and Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu for everything but gaming. As the poster before me said, there is a serious problem getting drivers for video cards to work properly.

Pretty much the same, I'm about to go out and dual boot my desktop with Ubuntu 13.04

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Pretty much the same, I'm about to go out and dual boot my desktop with Ubuntu 13.04

Didn't they make 13.04 a mobile friendly OS?

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

Pros:

Cons: 

none?

Clearly you never tried ArchLinux :P

Good news everyone...!

Pros:

Cons: 

none?

I don't think you can say "apt is better than yum", both are very comparable, the GUI implementations are also very comparable, yumex isn't that advertised, but it's fast and very versatile. I just don't think .rpm and .deb based distros are intended for the same user group. I think what distro is perceived as better than the others depends on what user group one is part of (at least with tier-one distros).

Both Debian/... and Fedora/CentOS/RHEL/OpenSuSE/SuSE/Mageia/ROSA/... are tier-one distros that form the very essence of how Linux is perceived by the computing world, just like Arch or Slackware or Gentoo. I don't think that there should be rivalry between GNU/Linux distros, because they all have their "raison d'être": a large enough usergroup with particular preferences in what distro they want to use.

Arch has it's AUR, wich is (IMHO) much easyer then any of the other. If you want a GUI for pacman/AUR - no problem at all, just install it and click the packeges you want to install. It even can install directly from the browser...(although GUI AUR is considred not to be a good way...but i don't give a damn, i want my GUI! :D )

Good news everyone...!

Linux Mint with cinnamon (that sounds like some kind of dessert) :)

i5 3570k @ 4.1ghz -- Hyper 212 Evo -- NVIDIA GTX670 -- 8gb RAM -- 128gb Samsung 830 -- 256gb Samsung 830 -- 2TB Seagate 7200rpm -- Phantom 410 -- Leopold TKL Brown Switches -- Logitech G600

I have crunchbang on a very very very old laptop

works like a charm....

I have crunchbang on a very very very old laptop

works like a charm....

I actually learned about crunchbang from this forum. It's pretty amazing.

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

Debian and CentOS for production servers. I'm a Debian guy and i like it more for package management, easier to customize and configure the core and overall stable and secure (if you know what you are doing).
I don't see a point showing you a screenshot of my shell? =)

Forgot to mention that for desktop/laptop i use Backtrack 5

Edited by Neso

Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Still a noob when it comes to Linux :( So I use Ubuntu.

Nothing wrong with that, I used to be an Ubuntonite (???) too. It's a great distro

for starting out, and in the end my mantra has always been: If it suits your needs,

then all is good :)

Nothing wrong with that, I used to be an Ubuntonite (???) too. It's a great distro

for starting out, and in the end my mantra has always been: If it suits your needs,

then all is good :)

I was wondering if you could give me a full list of different Linux OSes?

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

XiaoPigs, on 06 May 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

I was wondering if you could give me a full list of different Linux OSes?

That will be a long list :lol:

The ones I've personally used are Ubuntu, Gentoo and Arch.

As for the rest of them (there's a few hundred last I've heard), I recommend you take

a look at distrowatch. They have almost every distro in their database, and it's

easily searchable by criteria, so if you need to find a new distro you want to try out

it's a good place to start (it's how I found Arch, actually).

Another thing you might want to look at is the Linux family tree on Wikipedia.

It's one of the most awesome graphics I've yet seen. :)

That will be a long list :lol:

The ones I've personally used are Ubuntu, Gentoo and Arch.

As for the rest of them (there's a few hundred last I've heard), I recommend you take

a look at distrowatch. They have almost every distro in their database, and it's

easily searchable by criteria, so if you need to find a new distro you want to try out

it's a good place to start (it's how I found Arch, actually).

Another thing you might want to look at is the Linux family tree on Wikipedia.

It's one of the most awesome graphics I've yet seen. :)

Thank you very much sir :D

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Ubuntu for me. I learned on it and prefer it. I tried many other distros but I prefer unity.

My main interaction has been with Ubuntu, and out of the little experience ive had with others id still say Ubuntu was the one i prefer.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

Woop, so many Linux users. Personally I started out with Ubuntu, then moved to Archbang for my controlfreak fix. I love Ubuntu's GUI and design, but after a while its file organization system made my head hurt. I don't understand why I can't choose to have one partition include all my files instead of separating my OS on its own partition. Never used that wasted disk space anyway, but it hurt my feelings. I can't get Archbang to look quite as nice, but I like it a lot better than Windows' GUI personally.