Windows or Ubuntu?

Vouts

Hello.

I got this great idea to fully clean both of my ssd and hdd and reinstall operating system. Now i have windows 10 but i saw that linux is better in performance and security (dunno if true)

So few things got in way of making the choice:

if games can run on linux (or atleast on windows virtualmachine without lags)

performance of linux compared to windows

also heard about "wine" which runs windows programs on linux?

and also heard that reformatting ssd can damage it... is that true?

never used ubuntu or linux but im interested to learn to use it

so which one would you choose and why?

If you've never played with linux I'd recommend that you just reinstall windows and then create a linux Virtual Machine to see if you like it. I wouldn't recommend completely switching if you have never even logged onto a linux machine before.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

i tested debian on virtual machine and tried ubuntu but it didnt work at all

Ubuntu is not my favorite distro because it takes a lot of games work to get gaming but  it's fairly good otherwise. I'd give Linux a shot

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, Vouts said:

I got this great idea to fully clean both of my ssd and hdd and reinstall operating system. 

How is that a great idea? You lost everything for no reason. I recommend to find better tasks to do on your computer.

my hard drives are full of something and im lazy to clean it

edit: i dont have any important data and heard that linux is faster sooo

I would say Linux is the better option for any machine. What you will need to decide is what Distro and Desktop. Ubuntu is a fantastic Distro and anything you search on the internet with the word Ubuntu normally comes up with a topic with a solution.

If your focus is gaming then for starters you do not want to run them on Virtual Machine at all. The Virtual Machine will kill your performance making the gaming experience poor and higher resource demanding games.

I have attempted gaming on many Distro's and even had the same proprietary drivers and versions of WINE, Winetriicks etc on them using Lutris. What I can tell you is, Pop OS, which is pretty much Ubuntu, is polished for Gaming and since it is pretty much the same as your Ubuntu all help guides from Ubuntu work on it also.

Pop OS uses does use the Gnome Desktop, which may take some time to get use to. You can edit the look and feel with Gnome Tweaks and Dconf Editor to turn my desktop into the look and feel that works for me.

Lutris is the Key with gaming. You will need to make sure to get the dependencies. So far the only one I had to get was Vulkan which Lutris directed me right to it and I installed it in like a minute. Other then that, I have installed and played all my favorite games including World of Warcraft which I could not get to work on any other Distro / Desktop even following all the guides. But on Pop OS it just worked and now I am ready to play Classic when it comes out August 26th :)

Hope this is somewhat helpful, check out the link below to find your games and see if they show as working correctly.

Lutris.net

40 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

How is that a great idea? You lost everything for no reason. I recommend to find better tasks to do on your computer.

apparently someone has never been bored on their computer, hell this is a weekend without the kids for me!

As for switching I agree with cyberhacker, Pop!_OS is probably your best bet to try out first. It is generally recognized as the most gaming friendly intro Linux OS, it even comes with steam installed. and with proton, i know personally about half my library is playable on Linux without any real tweaking.

If your worried about trying it out first before jumping in whole hog, you can always make a Live USB installer which will allow you to play around with the OS before installing it., Actually if you have a USB 3.0 drive and port on your Mobo, running off a USB the performance isn't even that bad. I've been using a distro installed on a drive for troubleshooting for a year or two now, and it preforms remarkably well.

Software. It's usually the driver for the OS, unless it's available on any OS.

Though my next rebuild may try Linux with 10 in a VM. As dual booting is still a pain currently.

what if i install windows on my hdd and pop os on my ssd? would i be able to boot on both of them? ofc not in same time

Buy internal hard drive enclosure and another ssd for linux. You'll be able to swap drives wherever you want. No dual boot needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Try out Linux on a virtual machine or boot from USB first. If you install ubuntu and decide you don't like it it can be quite a pain to uninstall, it's not as simple as just reformatting your SSD.

1 hour ago, celerystruct said:

Try out Linux on a virtual machine or boot from USB first. If you install ubuntu and decide you don't like it it can be quite a pain to uninstall, it's not as simple as just reformatting your SSD.

Umm yes it is. How is formatting your drive not going to remove Ubuntu?

7 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Umm yes it is. How is formatting your drive not going to remove Ubuntu?

From my experience whenever I try to uninstall ubuntu even after formatting it left behind GRUB bootloader and wouldn't let me install windows without first removing GRUB first. I had to use Boot Repair to get rid of it first before it'd let me reinstall Windows. The guides I found for uninstalling ubuntu all say the same.

Edit: If I'm wrong do correct me though.

Edit2: I may be remembering the exact process wrong but from what I remember I tried installing Windows and GRUB wouldn't let me or something.

Regardless op should still just try ubuntu off USB first before just installing it onto his machine with zero experience using linux it seems.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, Vouts said:

so which one would you choose and why?

Windows, because Ubuntu is an unstable patchwork.

Write in C.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:32 AM, celerystruct said:

From my experience whenever I try to uninstall ubuntu even after formatting it left behind GRUB bootloader and wouldn't let me install windows without first removing GRUB first.

That's because you have the bootloader installed on another drive than the one your OS is on. 

Never ever ever install an OS without disconnecting all other drives first (unless you want to multiboot with different OSes on different drives, but that's basically asking for trouble). 

Windows also has the same nasty habit.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if your Linux installer put GRUB on another drive because it noticed that there was a Windows bootloader there already. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

That's because you have the bootloader installed on another drive than the one your OS is on. 

Never ever ever install an OS without disconnecting all other drives first (unless you want to multiboot with different OSes on different drives, but that's basically asking for trouble). 

Windows also has the same nasty habit.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if your Linux installer put GRUB on another drive because it noticed that there was a Windows bootloader there already. 

I only had one drive when I installed Linux. This was also when I was building my first pc and I went with ubuntu to save on buying a windows license. So I was installing Linux onto a brand new drive with no other drives on my system.

5 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

I only had one drive when I installed Linux.

That's weird.   If you only have one drive, wiping it should have removed GRUB completely.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:30 AM, Dat Guy said:

Windows, because Ubuntu is an unstable patchwork.

Linux Mint or Pop!_OS because they are base off of Ubuntu, but not an unstable patchwork.