Why should you be able to make money yourself?

Go to solution Solved by Me1z,

Mining crypto currency isn't just turning electricity into money like most people assume. The algorithms that your computer is crunching are essentially the paperwork for the bank of that currency. By "mining", your computer gets a job at a bank and the litecoins/dogecoins/whatever you get in return is basically your computer's paycheck. That's why once all of any given currency has been created, there will still be miners and they will still get paid, just not much. Miners are necessary for the currency to exist and rather than the currency being created in return for mining, at this point the bank will pay you directly using the money its making off people using the currency. Tahdah :D

Hi,

I have a question: Why should you be able to make money yourself like many people are doing with cryptocurrencies? I started mining litecoin a few days ago and told my dad about it today. He thinks there has to be a catch. He says that there's no way you can just 'mine' money. 

So, can anyone explain me(and him) why it's possible to make money without a catch? Or is there a catch?

Thank you!

Spoiler

CPU: 3570k @ 4.8Ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-UD5H GPU: GTX 1060 PSU: BeQuiet PP 630W OS: Mac OSX & W10 Ram: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16gb 1600mhz Storage: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB; 1x Samsung 850 evo 250GB  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Audio: Fiio E10 & Sennheiser HD558 Display: Eizo FS2333

You're essentially turning your computer into a small cog for a large machine, what is normally known as a bank.

That is the VERY simplified and short version of it all.

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

You are basically converting electricity to money

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Are you mining with your rig in the sig? THE 760 SUCKS for mining btw.

Diamond 5 in League :)

You are supporting the network... its hard for some people to understand and can be stuborn about it.. July 2012 i told my dad about it and he said it never made sence. If i did it then , i could have made many moneys..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

The only catch that I'm aware of is the fact that you're taking a risk. What you mine now could be worthless tomorrow, or be worth hundreds the next day.

It also wears down your hardware some and consumes a heavy amount electricity compared to an average gaming PC.

If I may make a recommendation, however, you shouldn't mine with a GTX 760. You acquire too little and risk too much (GPU will die plenty fast etc).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Are you mining with your rig in the sig? THE 760 SUCKS for mining btw.

I know that's why I told my dad because I eventually gonna buy a r9 280x

Spoiler

CPU: 3570k @ 4.8Ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-UD5H GPU: GTX 1060 PSU: BeQuiet PP 630W OS: Mac OSX & W10 Ram: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16gb 1600mhz Storage: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB; 1x Samsung 850 evo 250GB  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Audio: Fiio E10 & Sennheiser HD558 Display: Eizo FS2333

Also dont invest any thing that you dont mind loosing!

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

The catch is that the value of a coin can go from 1000$ to 100$ in a day.

And that there is a finite amount of them versu real currency.

I know that's why I told my dad because I eventually gonna buy a r9 280x

Good.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Good.

I found a few people who got 350 KH from a 670 , not as good but still not horrible!

You're not really 'mining money', you're 'mining' something which you then intend to sell for money. Crucial difference. If you went out and dug some gold up, you wouldn't have therefore got money for free. Firstly getting the gold required effort (as does mining a cryptocurrency) and secondly the only value the gold has to you is that somebody will exchange some money for it.

I found a few people who got 350 KH from a 670 , not as good but still not horrible!

The one I have is locked from overvolting and when I overclock higher than 100mhz, It crashes after a few hours of mining

Spoiler

Mining crypto currency isn't just turning electricity into money like most people assume. The algorithms that your computer is crunching are essentially the paperwork for the bank of that currency. By "mining", your computer gets a job at a bank and the litecoins/dogecoins/whatever you get in return is basically your computer's paycheck. That's why once all of any given currency has been created, there will still be miners and they will still get paid, just not much. Miners are necessary for the currency to exist and rather than the currency being created in return for mining, at this point the bank will pay you directly using the money its making off people using the currency. Tahdah :D

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB