Any Point In Replacing Stock CPU cooler?

spwath

OK So i built a rig 2 months ago and everyone is saying "ooh stock cooler so bad." Would there be any point in me replacing my stock cooler if I dont plan on OC'ing? And I doont care about noise.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Not really if you don't care about OC'ing and the noise.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

OK So i built a rig 2 months ago and everyone is saying "ooh stock cooler so bad." Would there be any point in me replacing my stock cooler if I dont plan on OC'ing? And I doont care about noise.

yes. lower temps can increase cpu lifespan. what cpu is it though?

If your gaming or doing tasks that may be demanding I'd say yes, those things have terrible cooling properties, I remember topping 100 degrees C on a stock intel cooler on a I7 3770 at standard speeds, even a fairly cheap aftermarket cooler will improve cooling and stability as a result.

If you don't care about noise, then you don't have too, but with an aftermarket cooler you would get better temps meaning that your CPU will last longer.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

If you have the money, it's not a terrible thing to do. It will reduce the noise and effectively lengthen the lifespan of your CPU.

I just replaced 12 stock coolers at work because the fan noise was getting outrageous at times (there's a small cluster of 5 computers that sounded like a damn turbine).

Pew Pew Helicopters

Temps are not getting high, maxing around 60 degrees if i remember corectly

yes. lower temps can increase cpu lifespan. what cpu is it though?

And i have an fx-6300

If your gaming or doing tasks that may be demanding I'd say yes, those things have terrible cooling properties, I remember topping 100 degrees C on a stock intel cooler on a I7 3770 at standard speeds, even a fairly cheap aftermarket cooler will improve cooling and stability as a result.

I play BF4

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

And i have an fx-6300

I play BF4

That should be fine, personally i always go for atleast a hyper 212 evo because theyre cheap and keep temps really nice

And i have an fx-6300

I play BF4

Then double check your temperatures and if its anything too high consider getting a cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 was mentioned earlier in the thread, its cheaper than a standard DVD optical drive and will shave around 20 degrees C off cooling I reckon, overall unless your getting high temps you probably don't need a aftermarket cooler, but to get one would definately keep your system cooler, the stock ones do take your CPU rather close to the danger zone, especially in demanding applications.

There is no point in replacing your stock cooler if you don't care about the noise and are not planning to overclock as the stock cpu cooler is able to cool the cpu at stock speeds.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Temps and noise are only reasons for non-OC user to upgrade cooler. Personally I wouldn't go back to stock coolers. You save maybe 10$/€ when buying CPU without stock cooler (TRAY packed).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Potentially:

Lower temps

Lower noise

Cause!

Why not?

Who doesnt like more fans? I mean, like really?

Also kinda need to to go passive.