Please help! Issues with Seagate BlackArmor 220 NAS and Windows 10

Hi all,

I have become the defacto IT person for friends and family (a pain I am sure all too many of you know!) 

Recently I was tasked with updating a family friends hardware and system, the old setup was as such:

- Windows 8.1

- Seagate Black Armor 220 Set up in Raid 1 with 2x2TB Seagate Drives

- (old?) Sonos system linked to the the NAS through a router

Initially they thought they were going to upgrade the NAS and the Sonos but in the end decided against it. 

When I first got there, the NAS seemed to be working fine, but when I logged onto the admin side of things, it was showing only 1 drive installed, and the RAID was 'Degraded.' I checked, and physically there was 2 drives in the NAS, and taking out the 'failed' drive (the drive the system couldn't even see) prevented the NAS from booting at all. 

The first thing I did was get the new PC set up, which has Windows 10 and the NAS seemed to still be working fine. 

Next I put a new second drive in - exactly the same type of drive, a Seagate 2TB Barracuda, and the NAS recognised the drive and immediately began rebuilding the RAID. 

I popped over today to check how things were going, and the NAS is incredibly slow, as in deleting/moving a 20kb file takes 2-10 minutes per file. When I log onto the admin page everything now is listed as 'Good' and everything on that side of things seems to be fine. I have tried multiple restarts of both the PC and the NAS plus I have even tried plugging the NAS directly into the PC (via ethernet) and nothing seems to work.

HELP - I am pulling my hair out over this! 

Thanks all, any help would be amazing!

EDIT: I forgot to say, the 'capacity' of the NAS with the 2x2TB drives is 1.78TB, and he only uses it for music, so he has ~1.6TB still free, so the NAS is nowhere near full! 

Edited by jamiekey
Adding info!