BIOS not recognizing the NVME SSD but Windows do.

Summon_Ari

I recently bought a intel 760p as an upgrade to a HP Phoenix 850-060se pre-built. The HP viking X99 mobo does have a M key M.2 slot, but the BIOS does not recognize the NVME drive even when I updated the BIOS to the latest version (released in mid 2018). No matter what options I change in the bios, it does not recognize the drive, but when I boot into my old SATA ssd, Windows does recognize the drive and runs it at full NVME speeds. Is there a way for the bios to recognize the drive and boot into it?

NVMe SSDs don't always show in the BIOS/UEFI. The BIOS/UEFI needs to be developed with that in mind for you to see the device connected. I'd email HP. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

I googled and found quite a few people had the same issue.  There's not a lot of official documentation on the matter.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Boot-ENVY-Phoenix-Desktop-850-070st-from-Samsung-960-Pro-M-2/m-p/5885814#M138298

1 hour ago, SSD Sean said:

NVMe SSDs don't always show in the BIOS/UEFI. The BIOS/UEFI needs to be developed with that in mind for you to see the device connected. I'd email HP. 

Do try that.  If they don't give you an answer, here's what I think.

My guess is the board may not be designed for it.  I don't know for sure if it's lacking pci-e lanes or the m.2 isn't meant for pci-e storage at all.

What I would do first is try it without a video card plugged in.  If that doesn't make a difference, then I don't think it's a lanes issue.  I wouldn't think an x99 board would have this sort of problem either.

I'm almost sure you could get it working properly with a pci-e adapter if that's the case, but no guarantees.  The bios itself could also be an issue.

Yeah, I think SSD Sean is correct. The problem is that the drive is not recognized at all by the bios. I did try reinstalling W10 with secure boot off but it is still not seen in the BIOS. The storage drive list in the BIOS has all the drives  besides the m.2 drive. Sadly, I do not have a SATA M.2 drive to see if it only works with sata.