Plugin two active Genelec speakers to sound card output

Lord_Shuzen

Hello !

I have recently acquired a pair of Genelec 4020A that someone left in a dumpster (!!!), they appear to still be working but I would need to connect them to my USB sound card.

Here is the pic of the connector for each speaker :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B9JKuCWCS3fN69Cv5

and my sound card :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/11mbGxnP6jeBMGWY7

I was thinking about connecting the white RCA to one speaker and the red to the other but I've been told I would make the speakers be two mono and not both stereo...

Any tips ?

You'll need a three pin balanced output to connect to the screw terminal on the Genelecs. 

You need a signal + and - as well as a ground. The two excess pins is for a 12v jumper, which can be ignored. 

The two TRS outputs on the back of your audio interface might be able to output balanced audio, but you'll have to consult the manual. 

If they do support a balanced output then it's easy enough to connect. Just plug a TRS connector into your interface and strip the wire at the other end. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I do believe the TRS output are balanced as it says on the manual.

What kind of cables do I need for TRS ? Are they specific or similar to my guitar cables ?

Screenshot_20190607-142153-01.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lord_Shuzen said:

I do believe the TRS output are balanced as it says on the manual.

What kind of cables do I need for TRS ? Are they specific or similar to my guitar cables ?

Screenshot_20190607-142153-01.jpeg

They're just 1/4" TRS plugs, just like you would see on a guitar. Be aware that cables for guitars are in mono, meaning they won't work as a balanced cable. 

You would need to figure out which wire is which once you snip off one end. Although, there's probably a standard for such things, just like there is with XLR cables.

Alright, so I would need one stereo cable for each speaker each plug to TRS output 1 and 2, right ?

Just in case, is it bad if there is no ground cable to connect to the speaker inside the TRS ?

Would two of these work ?

Alright, so I would need one stereo cable for each speaker each plug to TRS output 1 and 2, right ?

Just in case, is it bad if there is no ground cable to connect to the speaker inside the TRS ?

Would two of these work ?

Yep, you need two stereo cables.

There will be a ground cable in the TRS cable. There's three wires inside each. On for signal +, one for signal -, and one for ground.

You'll need to consult a diagram to determine which wire is which, though.

Alright !

One last question : would any stereo instrument cables (2 black lines) do the trick ? Even a basic 3.5mm stereo cable + 6.25 adapter ?

Alright !

One last question : would any stereo instrument cables (2 black lines) do the trick ? Even a basic 3.5mm stereo cable + 6.25 adapter ?

Essentially, everything with three wires, that you can adapt to a 1/4" TRS connector, will do. All you're doing is carry an electrical signal. 

Alright, thanks a lot for the help !

Now I just have to wait for the adapter to come by post.

Alright, cables done (not perfectly but it will do for now), and they work great !

Test vidéo

Thank you very much again @Volbetfor the helpful tips !

44 minutes ago, Lord_Shuzen said:

Alright, cables done (not perfectly but it will do for now), and they work great !

Test vidéo

Thank you very much again @Volbetfor the helpful tips !

Enjoy them. Genelec make amazing stuff. also try to pull them a little bit infront of your monitors to help with the midrange and upper-bass :)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

10 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Enjoy them. Genelec make amazing stuff. also try to pull them a little bit infront of your monitors to help with the midrange and upper-bass :)

They are amazing ! I didn't have much possibility to try them out yesterday since it was pretty late when I got them ready but now I can really enjoy them and I'm quite blown away by the quality of the sound !

I was lucky I live near where they are made so they offered to send me the adapters I needed, I'm quite sure they wouldn't have done that if the postage fees would have been much higher. ?

I still can't believe I got those for free...

9 hours ago, Lord_Shuzen said:

They are amazing ! I didn't have much possibility to try them out yesterday since it was pretty late when I got them ready but now I can really enjoy them and I'm quite blown away by the quality of the sound !

I was lucky I live near where they are made so they offered to send me the adapters I needed, I'm quite sure they wouldn't have done that if the postage fees would have been much higher. ?

I still can't believe I got those for free...

We have a pair of genelec's at the mastering/mixing studio i work at. Always brilliant in mid sized rooms.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)