Pkayable Frame Rates Discussion

These days, a lot of people have differerent opinions as to how many frames per second are required in different gaming senarios. So I figured I would post a list of FPS numbers that I feel are appropriate for all the different types of gamers and gaming. These numbers are AVERAGES that  I would personally prefer and set my sights on for the given situation. Feel free to comment on your own personal opinions and preferences.

<20 FPS - Why are you playing this? Avoid at all costs!

21-30 FPS - Far too studdery, unpleasant experience, I personally will not play a game until I Improve performance.

31-44 FPS - Mediocre experience, however frame drops/ lows that studder occur often, ruining gameplay. Not Recommend.

45-59 FPS - My personal MINIMUM "Playable" FPS.  Most believe that 60+ FPS is required for a smooth gaming experience but over the years, I have noticed that 45+ FPS is actually reasonably smooth and enjoyable. The frame dropa/lows may studder slightly, but are rare enough to tolerate.

60-71 FPS - Ah, the glorious 60+ FPS mark. No doubt very smooth and at this point the frame drops/lows shouldn't studder your game. Recommend for a full smooth, optmal, immersive Single Player experience.

72-89 FPS - This "Above 60 FPS" Zone will give you an edge in Multi-Player and or fast past games, eliminating the need to worry about input lag or being at a distinct disadvantage versus more powerful systems. Recommend for competitive Multi-Player gaming.

90-120 FPS - Welcome to the big time, the Elites, the Professional/Tournament gamers. These speeds are completely overkill and unnecessary for anyone who is gaming for fun alone. If you want to game for money and or glory, then this is recommended for you. Otherewise, feel free to crank up those graphical details!

121+ FPS - Completely and utterly overkill and unnecessary for 99.9% of gamers and or gaming senarios. A waste of money and or effort in most cases.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

I used to play arma 2 dayz on 17-21 FPS. I could play just fine and I was very good at the game. ever since that when I hear people say like my minimum playable frame rate is 60 I just think of them as the snobby PC people. 20,30,40,50,60 they are all playable. it just depends on the type of game you are playing.  for CS:GO 20 will not cut it. but in a game like skyrim you could play at 20FPS and still be fine. 

but what you run your games at should be the same as what your moniter hz is. like me I run most games at 75 just becase my PC can do it and my moniter is a 75hz monitor. I could easily get 100+ FPS in most games but whats the point when my monitor refresh is only 75.   

23 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

121+ FPS - Completely and utterly overkill and unnecessary for 99.9% of gamers and or gaming senarios. A waste of money and or effort in most cases.

Not necessarily. Having a significantly higher framerate results in more recent frames being displayed.

This video explains it fairly well.

300FPS typically will feel much more responsive than 60FPS, even though you're still only seeing 60FPS.

Personally, it depends on what the game is. If it's some 2D game (pokemon is a good example), having 60fps isn't really that important. 15-30FPS is perfectly fine for these.

If it's an FPS (like CS:GO), I'll take as high of FPS as I can get.

If it's something like Skyrim, 45-60FPS is fine. Higher is nice though.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

14 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Snip

My personal preferences.  In general I'll sacrifice visuals for higher frame rates.  I personally own a 144Hz monitor, but ideally I'd be running 240Hz (maybe invest in the Lenovo 1440P 240Hz monitor when it comes out)

<20 FPS - Why are you playing this? Avoid at all costs!

21-30 FPS - Far too studdery, unpleasant experience, I personally will not play a game until I Improve performance.

31-44 FPS - Mediocre experience, however frame drops/ lows that studder occur often, ruining gameplay. Not Recommend.

45-59 FPS - It's Fine. Most believe that 60+ FPS is required for a smooth gaming experience but over the years, I have noticed that 45+ FPS is actually reasonably smooth and enjoyable. The frame dropa/lows may studder slightly, but are rare enough to tolerate.

60-71 FPS - Ah, the glorious 60+ FPS mark. Probably fine for single player gaming, not recommended for multiplayer.

72-89 FPS - This "Above 60 FPS" Zone will help prevent occasional dips below 60FPS, Minimum for anything multiplayer.

90-144 FPS - Acceptable frame rates for multiplayer games but nothing super competitive.

144-165 FPS - Good zone for 144Hz monitors, perfect for competitive games (which generally are pretty easy to run anyway).  I will sacrifice details and resolution to get everything into this range for most single player games and all multiplayer games.

165-240 FPS - Now we're really talking, ideal for competitive gaming and will help prevent drops on a 144Hz monitor. What I use for competitive games.

240-400 - Smoke em if you've got em - Here is where the hardcore competitive gamers live.  Most pros will complain if the FPS goes below 300.

400 - You are probably okay to turn up the details now.

What am I playing? That determines the answer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Mainly play FPS games. Even when I was stuck on a laptop getting 35 consistent frames I would destroy servers all the same. Mainly youth contributing to that. Playing games now with 150-200 and too frustrated to stay consistent in accuracy. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Thats alot of replies very quickly lol. Im thinking about picking up an Ultra-Wide 3440x1440 100Hz monitor since right now Im actually on a 60Hz 4K TV but the issue is my GTX 980 OC 1450MHz Boost wont power the Ultra-Wide very well. Im currently running it in 2560x1440 on the TV and even that is taxing out the 3-year old tech just to make 60-80 FPS on Medium-High Settings. Hoping I can score a good price used 1080 TI on eBay.

Current Build Thread:

8 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Im actually on a 60Hz 4K TV but the issue is my GTX 980 OC 1450MHz

I suggest sit back & relax, enjoy ~30fps mid-high setting . 

720p low graphics console games still look good if you sit far enough

3 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I suggest sit back & relax, enjoy ~30fps mid-high setting . 

720p low graphics console games still look good if you sit far enough

So obviously you didn't read the entire comment. Im getting 60-80 FPS in most games at medium-high settings. All I did was reduce resolution using Nvidia control panel to create a custom 2560x1440 @ 60Hz profile. Yes, the TV is a TRUE 60Hz 4K display in gaming mode with 4K Upscaling and 120Hz fake refresh rate options in normal mode. Its NOT a cheap TV, it is in fact a $1000 late 2017 Samsung 55" Curved, Smart 4K TV.

So before you go judging, it is a VERY premium and smooth gaming experience far superior to any console. Im hitting 70 FPS AVG in both PUBG and Black Ops 4 running 2560x1440 on a mixture of medium and high settings. I could go with more high settings but the 4GB VRAM is maxed at this point. AVG usage rages from 3400-3800 MB at these settings.

Not all of us have $500-$1000 to spend on a new GPU each time the next generation comes out. If fact I scored the GTX 980 used on eBay for $200 right after the 10 series launched.

Current Build Thread: