AMD/Intel $1,000 Gaming Build Advice?

1. Budget & Location

$1,000, USA

2. Aim

Gaming, in just about every genre, and multitasking.

3. Monitors

Just one. And I'll have to purchase it. For now I think I want to aim for 1080P 144Hz, but there's been a lot of new screen technologies coming out in recent years, so I'm not sure which to get.

4. Peripherals

I will be purchasing a new keyboard and mouse, and speakers, and an OS.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I want to have a gaming PC that is capable of running (especially newer games) more smoothly.

6. Additional Information

I've already done some research, and I was thinking of using a Ryzen 7 1700X because the price is so good, and will probably be coming down even more with the 3rd gen Ryzens due to release next month. I was originally going to use a Ryzen 7 2700X, but now I'm not sure. I've read that it can be difficult to get 3200MHz out of RAM with Ryzen chips, especially 1st gen. My biggest concerns are currently the CPU, RAM, and motherboard. I want to overclock my CPU, but I'm not sure how to do that, and I don't want to fry anything. And I want to be able to use the full speed of the RAM I purchase (was hoping for 3200MHz, but please give your thoughts) no matter the CPU I use. I was also considering the Ryzen 5 1600/X and Ryzen 5 2600/X chips. Intel is also an option if the price is right. I've also read that a good motherboard can help overclock the CPU better, so please feel free to recommend the best boards for overclocking in mind. I'd love some advice on a good cooler as well. I prefer fan cooling, but if liquid cooling is a must, I could try at least. As for the GPU, I'm pretty sure I want to use an RTX 2060, but everything is open for discussion, and I would appreciate any help with the build! If anyone has any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Just wait for Ryzen 3000 to come out, the Ryzen 5 chips in the lineup should be great.

You should check out GamersNexus video comparing various CPUs in games. The 2600 is significantly better than the 1700/1700X in gaming performance, even at overclock. 

But yeah, Zen 2 (3rd gen Ryzen) is going to be significantly more powerful and hopefully drop current prices closer to launch. 

Nvidia's rumoured RTX refresh and Zen2 hitting the shelves on 7/7. Just wait and see.

Basically you can buy the rest of the stuff if you want to just don't buy the CPU, motherboard & GPU first.

Or don't buy anything at all and see if there will be clearance sales or anything of the sort.

Peripherals are a really personal perspective thing, you might wanna go to stores and get a feel for them yourself. 

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($76.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($65.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks - P300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.45 @ Walmart) 
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($199.74 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Logitech - G413 Carbon Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($67.99 @ Target) 
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse  ($45.00 @ Walmart) 
Total: $604.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-03 21:09 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($145.78 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($66.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Inland - Professional 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba - 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($34.99 @ Monoprice) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB DUAL OC Video Card  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: ViewSonic - VX2458-mhd 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($161.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Thermaltake - Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard With Optical Mouse  ($33.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $946.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-03 21:43 EDT-0400

Wait for zen 2 if possible.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

@trevb0t I'll check it out!

@BigRom Thanks for the insight. That's a smart idea.

@Bearmann No, the closest one is about an hour away.

@Herman Mcpootis Thanks for taking the time to list a build!

I realize that Zen 2 will probably be amazing, but I'm not sure if I want to use it right away. I'd rather wait until they work out the kinks, as with anything new. I have to admit that I love the idea of a soldered IHS though. But it seems like I could save a LOT of money by using an older chip and parts that would perform plenty enough to get me by. I also am not very fond of the new PCI slots needing fan cooling (if I remember correctly from the LTT video). I'd rather wait until it's more implemented and tested. Am I wrong?

5 hours ago, ShafeDogg said:

@trevb0t I'll check it out!

@BigRom Thanks for the insight. That's a smart idea.

@Bearmann No, the closest one is about an hour away.

@Herman Mcpootis Thanks for taking the time to list a build!

I realize that Zen 2 will probably be amazing, but I'm not sure if I want to use it right away. I'd rather wait until they work out the kinks, as with anything new. I have to admit that I love the idea of a soldered IHS though. But it seems like I could save a LOT of money by using an older chip and parts that would perform plenty enough to get me by. I also am not very fond of the new PCI slots needing fan cooling (if I remember correctly from the LTT video). I'd rather wait until it's more implemented and tested. Am I wrong?

I don't think they will throw a lot of untested stuff out on the market, but there could be a few hiccups here and there. The closer we get though, the more pressure there will probably be on prices of older AMD chips and Intel chips.

As others have said, waiting is a good option right now to see those benchmarks. If you need something now, though:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600KF 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ Newegg Business) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/Green) CPU Cooler  ($34.79 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 UD ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB DUAL OC Video Card  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa N24 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Custom: Sceptre 24" Curved 144Hz Gaming LED Monitor Edge-Less AMD FreeSync DisplayPort HDMI, Metal Black 2019 (C248B-144RN)  ($149.87 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1053.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-05 16:38 EDT-0400

The 9600K creams all of the current Ryzen chips in gaming. Hopefully that changes on July 7th, but we'll see. Make sure to apply the $10 coupon on Amazon for that monitor.

59 minutes ago, ShafeDogg said:

Could anyone give an opinion on this desktop? It honestly seems pretty good for the money! I would just change the GPU out for a 2060.

https://www.amazon.com/Stratos-GeForce-Windows-Desktop-Computer/dp/B07HRVD4KP/

Not a great value. The two build posted here include a monitor where this one does not. Plus if you change the GPU to a 2060 and add the monitor you're looking at $1,420.

4 hours ago, jerubedo said:

The 9600K creams all of the current Ryzen chips in gaming. Hopefully that changes on July 7th, but we'll see. Make sure to apply the $10 coupon on Amazon for that monitor.

You do know that Ryzen 3000 series is coming next month and you're really pushing people onto knives, even though what we know right now sounds pretty good??

And what when the Ryzen 3600 for just 200€ "creams" the 9600K???

Especially since in less than a week the next AMD Event is, with more Information about both NAVI and Zen2, wich, allegedly, both are released on the 7th of July...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You do know that Ryzen 3000 series is coming next month and you're really pushing people onto knives, even though what we know right now sounds pretty good??

Especially since in less than a week the next AMD Event is, with more Information about both NAVI and Zen2, wich, allegedly, both are released on the 7th of July...

Dont you ever get tired of picking the same fights? The 9600K creams current processors as all of the data shows, and yes 3000 might match it, but there's nothing at all wrong with buying a gaming rig now. There's plenty of people who need one now, not a month from now. If you bother to read my post I prefaced it with wait if you can, now didn't I? I also stated that hopefully things do change on July 7th.

4 hours ago, ShafeDogg said:

Could anyone give an opinion on this desktop? It honestly seems pretty good for the money! I would just change the GPU out for a 2060.

I'm not looking it up, only over the thumb:
~200€ for CPU

~170€ GPU

~60€ nVME with 50GiB

-~70€ for the Board

~60€ PSU

~70€ Memory

-----------

630€ without Case, OS and Input Device.

That answers the Question?

Keyboard/Mouse looks like some 20€ Crap:

https://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Backlit-104-Key-Keyboard-Computer/dp/B079F1BG1P/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=CUKUSA&qid=1559785421&s=electronics&sr=1-3

So basically:
If you can, wait a month.

If not, get a good quality, mid range B450 or X470 Board, a Cheap CPU and replace it next month or so with a Ryzen 3000 one.

You need the CPU anyway, so maybe an Athlon 200GE.

You can see for example:

The Board Manufacturers are pushing out a shit ton of really high end X570 Boards (wich are rather expensive. Around 200€ for cheaper ones). 

That looks like they believe in the Sucess of Zen2 and think that there is demand for highest end Boards!

Keep in mind, back in the Kaveri Days, the most expensive Board was ~100€.

Right now the most expensive is ~250€ or so.

With X570 the most expensive Boards are at 777-1000€ (Water Cooled) or more.

5 hours ago, jerubedo said:

The 9600K creams all of the current Ryzen chips in gaming

Aside when you get to the newer titles like far cry 5 / new dawn where the 6c/6t configuration is insufficient to avoid notable lower 1% and 0.1% and over all a more prone to stuttering experience.

The 9600K also has barely no breathing room already on the most CPU intensive games like bf5 and what not making multitasking not viable.

The CPU has too many limitations as is, if you could fit an i7 8700K I'd be perfectly okay with that but if an i5 9600KF is all that fits then I'll have to agree on wait for the likely better CPU for cheaper coming next month in the form of the R5 3600.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 hours ago, ShafeDogg said:

I realize that Zen 2 will probably be amazing, but I'm not sure if I want to use it right away. I'd rather wait until they work out the kinks, as with anything new. I have to admit that I love the idea of a soldered IHS though.

In that case you can save on the CPU and prepare for Zen2 with the right Board...

10 hours ago, ShafeDogg said:

But it seems like I could save a LOT of money by using an older chip and parts that would perform plenty enough to get me by. I also am not very fond of the new PCI slots needing fan cooling (if I remember correctly from the LTT video). I'd rather wait until it's more implemented and tested. Am I wrong?

Well, according to System Integrators, the zen Launch was splendidly and had little to no issues.

THe only thing that was "problematic" was Memory Compatibility, but that was fixed with BIOS Updates or a different, known good Memory Stick.

As said, Zen2 should work on most B450 and X470 Boards, B350 and X370 are so so, depends on the Manufacturers (and "Peer Pressure"/leaning on the Board Manufacturers. There already was a shitstorm on MSI, wich might caused them to offer a non supported use at your own risk BETA BIOS for zen2)

7 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The 9600K also has barely no breathing room already on the most CPU intensive games like bf5 and what not making multitasking not viable.

The 9600K is the modern day E8600 that look nice right now but there are a lot of sings that its not a good product in the long term.

Especially since the next generation of Consoles will feature 8 Core CPUs with probably 16 Threads (and probably 7/14 usable), wich will make the death of the 9600 even quicker beginning next year...

And yes, Consoles are what lead the Development of Games as many modern games have to run there.

7 hours ago, jerubedo said:

As others have said, waiting is a good option right now to see those benchmarks. If you need something now, though:

Total: $1053.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-05 16:38 EDT-0400

That price is really pleasing. Building the same pack would roughly cost 1.5x more in my country :(

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Aside when you get to the newer titles like far cry 5 / new dawn where the 6c/6t configuration is insufficient to avoid notable lower 1% and 0.1% and over all a more prone to stuttering experience.

Actually if you look at Tom's and Hardware Unboxed they both show better 1% lows than the 2600 in Far Cry 5. Before you point to Steve's data, note that he said it was inconsistent and only half of his runs showed any spikes and that further investigation was required. Other sites' FCAT charts for the same runs did not display this behavior. 

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The 9600K is the modern day E8600 that look nice right now but there are a lot of sings that its not a good product in the long term.

That's been the argument since the 2600 launched. Maybe it'll become true eventually. But no one has a crystal ball to see the future. I like to go on what's best now. AAA title after AAA title keep releasing and the 9600K has had no issue with them. Rage 2 was the latest. Also as DX12 becomes more adapted, lows will get better. Any games people are saying are "cutting it close" are mostly DX11 games with a ton of CPU overhead but even then it's doing fine now. 

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

So on my 9400F rig running BF5 I get an average frame rate of 104 FPS with a 1% low of 79 FPS. That's with nothing at all open. If I open Chrome and play a YouTube video and open Outlook as well, I get averages of 102 FPS and 1% lows of 78 FPS. So, no, there's really no difference, plus those results are within margin of error. 

50 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

That price is really pleasing. Building the same pack would roughly cost 1.5x more in my country :(

What's your country? I can probably come up with something to suit you offline :P 

1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

What's your country? I can probably come up with something to suit you offline :P 

don't bother, I don't think it'd worth it. The range of components in my country is roughly equivalent to that available in Germany. Here's a sample online retailer with available English as language option

I would not call our prices high though. Only marginally more expensive than in Germany, though not much.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

4 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

don't bother, I don't think it'd worth it. The range of components in my country is roughly equivalent to that available in Germany. Here's a sample online retailer with available English as language option

I would not call our prices high though. Only marginally more expensive than in Germany, though not much.

Yeesh!

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You omitted the portion of the same post where @jerubedo said:

9 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Nobody is being pushed onto knives, except those you're attacking for showing Intel options as viable builds... Which they are.

9 hours ago, ShafeDogg said:

You're paying someone $150 to put your Legos together, and they're taking the difference out on your parts, my friend...

Here is a really good pc for that price range

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($209.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($57.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $996.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-06 04:59 EDT-0400