small MITX CASE comparison

kotenok
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
9 minutes ago, kotenok said:

mitx or matx board (depends on AMDx570/b550 motherboard lineup), but most likely mitx, small to medium sized or stock cooler 

So far there has only been one mini-ITX motherboard and one mATX motherboard shown off for the X570 chipset. Both from AsRock. The rest have been full size ATX motherboards. No B550 motherboards seen yet as far as I'm aware...? At least not at Computex.

Oh, also important to note that the AsRock mini-ITX motherboard can't fit the AMD mounting bracket so actually uses Intel's LGA1151 cooler mounting system. Might affect compatibility with the stock AMD cooler.

I'm trying to decide between the following cases

Thermaltake Core V1

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced

Fractal Design CORE 500 (expensive)

and, at the moment the "leading" one

Chieftec CI-01B-OP

has many drive bays (VERY IMPORTANT), accepts matx (very important too) at small size (and is only a bit bigger than all the above cases), seems to have no problem with normal sized components and there's still enough space to maintain decent amount of cooling and comfort of working on it

Which one should I pick? Explain, why please.

6 minutes ago, kotenok said:

has many drive bays (VERY IMPORTANT), accepts matx (very important too) at small size (and is only a bit bigger than all the above cases), seems to have no problem with normal sized components and there's still enough space to maintain decent amount of cooling and comfort of working on it 

So, basically you want a mATX case then?
The Chieftec is the only one you listed which supports mATX motherboards, and that is because it's a mATX case not mini-ITX...

• What hardware are you planning on putting in it [so we have an idea of clearance]?
  • Have you already purchased the rest of the components?
  • What's the system going to be used for?
  • How many 3.5" bays do you require for HDDs?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 minutes ago, kotenok said:

accepts matx (very important too)

Why are you comparing an mATX case with mITX cases if it's important to have mATX?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

So, basically you want a mATX case then?
The Chieftec is the only one you listed which supports mATX motherboards, and that is because it's a mATX case not mini-ITX...

• What hardware are you planning on putting in it [so we have an idea of clearance]?
  • Have you already purchased the rest of the components?
  • What's the system going to be used for?
  • How many 3.5" bays do you require for HDDs?

mitx or matx board (depends on AMDx570/b550 motherboard lineup), but most likely mitx, small to medium sized or stock cooler

a small GTX 750/1050/1650 type graphics card

450W 80+gold SFX power supply

2 active 3.5" HDDs + 1 "hot"-swap-able (I could use the additional empty pcie brackets for an esata shield that converts motherboard's sata into esata) there'd be m2 one too, but that doesn't affect the case choice, right?

1 DVD recorder

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Why are you comparing an mATX case with mITX cases if it's important to have mATX?

All of them are called either "small cases" or "cubes". It's sort of good to have matx just in case, but if a mitx only case would be much better I'd be able to give that up.

9 minutes ago, kotenok said:

So far there has only been one mini-ITX motherboard and one mATX motherboard shown off for the X570 chipset. Both from AsRock. The rest have been full size ATX motherboards. No B550 motherboards seen yet as far as I'm aware...? At least not at Computex.

Oh, also important to note that the AsRock mini-ITX motherboard can't fit the AMD mounting bracket so actually uses Intel's LGA1151 cooler mounting system. Might affect compatibility with the stock AMD cooler.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

41 minutes ago, kotenok said:

has many drive bays

How many? The Sugo can hold 3 2.5" drives as well as any M.2 the motherboard supports. You could have up to 5 drives, or more if you use the PCIe slot for an NVMe expansion card instead of gfx card.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I've done three builds in the Fractal Design Core 500 and it's pretty straight forward.  You can only put two HDDs in it along with 2 SSDs.  There is enough room for a reasonable size air cooler and of course it does have a front bay for an optical drive.  You don't say what the use for this PC is.  Mine have either been office builds or HTPC.  My current HTPC runs 24/7 and I've not had any issues.  I only run a Sony 32 inch TV off of it so I use Intel graphics which are just fine.  If I had a GPU, cable management would be a bit of an issue.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I don't really know yet. But prices are "slowly" skyrocketing, here. I'm getting whatever I can before the prices will explode around 7/7.

I'm considering getting ram, tomorrow, too; either Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16 GB 3000MHz or G.Skill Aegis, DDR4, 16 GB 3000MHz. They're already 20% more expensive than 1.5 week ago.

5 minutes ago, Alan G said:

You don't say what the use for this PC is.  Mine have either been office builds or HTPC.

Graphics designer, will be running at intermediate loads for long hours

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

How many? The Sugo can hold 3 2.5" drives as well as any M.2 the motherboard supports. You could have up to 5 drives, or more if you use the PCIe slot for an NVMe expansion card instead of gfx card.

What is Sugo?

Also 2 x 3.5" and 1 x 3.5" that could be swapped easily, but connected to an internal sata or esata.

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Coolers are always cheap to get so it's fine. In the worst case scenario, I'll just pick one from a discount bin at local computer market.

4 minutes ago, kotenok said:

What is Sugo?

Also 2 x 3.5" and 1 x 3.5" that could be swapped easily, but connected to an internal sata or esata

The Sugo is the Silverstone Sugo SG13B, that you see listed in my signature.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the 2 3.5" bays you need

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I believe OptimumTech showed an ITX board from Gigabyte as well.  He said it was kind of hidden at their booth.  Here's the links:  Actually I found an Asus one too so that makes three x570 ITX boards so far:

EDIT:  I think technically the Asus one is an ITX-D or something?  Never heard of it but it's slightly larger so won't fit in SFF cases but will fit most ITX apparently?

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The Sugo is the Silverstone Sugo SG13B, that you see listed in my signature.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the 2 3.5" bays you need

It looks really nice and it's even cute-case sized, lol. It's unfortunate that mitx cases don't include space for many HDDs anymore.

edit

Also I know gamers might not care, but at work or university people still need to deliver their work at CD-ROMs, besides 5.25" slot can be used to hot-swap HDDs or as a cool panel with additonal USBs, card readers or cooler control :)

1 minute ago, Vajra said:

I believe OptimumTech showed an ITX board from Gigabyte as well.  He said it was kind of hidden at their booth.  Here's the links:  Actually I found an Asus one too so that makes three x570 ITX boards so far:

Ah, nice! I missed those.

1 minute ago, kotenok said:

It looks really nice and it's even cute-case sized, lol. It's unfortunate that mitx cases don't include space for many HDDs anymore.

Would using a NAS (Network Attached Storage) be practical? Will eliminate the need for 3.5" bays and give you more flexibility with case options. Otherwise you will probably just need to choose a larger case (mATX).

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Ah, nice! I missed those.

Would using a NAS (Network Attached Storage) be practical? Will eliminate the need for 3.5" bays and give you more flexibility with case options. Otherwise you will probably just need to choose a larger case (mATX).

I will consider everything said in this thread, till tomorrow.

Even NAS, if that'd help me to save on case, because I'm looking at prices and the cheapest NAS costs 1/3rd of the money I might spend on the buld. Tho, I don't know if I could run software off it.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:04 PM, kotenok said:

I will consider everything said in this thread, till tomorrow.

Even NAS, if that'd help me to save on case, because I'm looking at prices and the cheapest NAS costs 1/3rd of the money I might spend on the buld. Tho, I don't know if I could run software off it.

A NAS isnt designed to house a full system (CPU, GPU, OS, ETC). It's just a case that holds hard drives that can then be connected to your home network. 

You's still have to buy a PC case for the rest of your system. The NAS just allows you to access the files on your hard drive for any computer on your network, allowing you to only need 2.5" or M.2 Drives for local storage. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I would say if you want a lot of drive space, maybe consider the Core V21 instead of the Core V1, which I think would be too small for your drive requirements.

Or a V1 and NAS, which would overall take up more space anyway.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷