Sony A6000: Photography tips/hacks

can anybody please help me maximise the features of my recently bought Sony A6000? I will really appreciate it if you can give me a reading material specific for sony A6000. :) thank you very much and have a great day!

I've owned an a6000 for nearly 5 years now. 

For beginners, best thing I can say is to configure the camera based on your preferences. The a6000 is customizable to a significant extent, so play around with it

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Owner of the a6000 for two years :) Get to know your camera, tinker around the settings... on YouTube there should be introductory videos that would be helpful to you as a new user, as well as tutorials that will gain you new techniques. Even guides to lenses should be there.

Agreeing with people above, the best way to learn what your camera can and can't do is to literally click every button and go through every menu.

That being said, this video is a pretty decent overview of what features your camera can have and what it can do!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 10:57 PM, extraCrispy said:

Agreeing with people above, the best way to learn what your camera can and can't do is to literally click every button and go through every menu.

That being said, this video is a pretty decent overview of what features your camera can have and what it can do!

This is one of the videos I watched when I just had my a6000. Comes highly recommended!

Buy some 3rd party batteries and a charger that fits 2 of them. I only owned the thing briefly, but I remember the battery life was completely awful.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

• 2 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, battery life on the a6000 is pretty poor, more batteries is a good thing to have. 

One "hack" I have is to use back button focus instead of half press, reasonably well explained in this article:

https://www.phototraces.com/photography-basics/back-button-focus/

An expensive hack is to get a used Sigma 30mm, or some other good quality autofocusing prime. The 16-50 kit lens is almost awful, and you will be amazed the difference a prime lens makes. (prime meaning it has only one zoom level)