Can I use a 4 Pin connector on a 8 Pin motherboard for a Ryzen 5 2600x

Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
18 minutes ago, Kris3456 said:

Mine PSU has 1x8 PIN for CPU.

Mine don't for the most part. The Dark Power P8 has an 8pin and the Delta DPS-500QB but neither Bitfenix, Corsair, Cougar, Be Quiet Pure Power 10 have an 8pin. They have a P4+4...

Abhi1401 said that he have only 1x4 at first, then he has two, but with the "not correct shape".

And that is the Misleading part...

Because the Connector he has is what the PSU Manufacturer call, as said, "P4-4". It looks exactly like that.

And that he only saw one 4pin might be because:

https://m.bonanza.mx/items/like/670081328

...the second part of the Cable was somewhere else. 

And yes, it has the "Correct Shape", here is Proof:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-3-Sleeved-Black-EPS-12V-CPU-Cable/p/CP-8920115

@Abhi1401

You see the Picture on the Corsair Site? That looks exactly like the Pic of the CPU Connector(s) you posted.

It depends. Even average noname PSU can last 10 years or even more and the best can fail much faster. Always You can replace old or faulty capacitors and use it again for a very long time.

We are _NOT_ talking about an average "no-name" PSU no more, we are talking about a decent quality OEM unit made by one of the best and biggest manufacturers...

I have found some (small) Pictures of the Insides.

And this unit is based on a so called LLC-Resonant Topology with DC-DC. So it is very modern. And decent quality. 

The Only issue is that we do not know the quality of the output voltages...

Besides that, its a pretty good quality unit, about as good or better as for example a Corsair CX...

I am getting a new motherboard and cpu and my current power supply only has one 4 pin connector but the motherboard has a 8 pin connector, can I use the 4 pin connector on the 8 pin motherboard for a ryzen 5 2600x. My motherboard is the Gigabyte b450 Aorus M, link: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B450-AORUS-Thermal-Motherboard/dp/B07FWY246F

3 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

I am getting a new motherboard and cpu and my current power supply only has one 4 pin connector but the motherboard has a 8 pin connector, can I use the 4 pin connector on the 8 pin motherboard for a ryzen 5 2600x. My motherboard is the Gigabyte b450 Aorus M, link: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B450-AORUS-Thermal-Motherboard/dp/B07FWY246F

yes.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The 4 pin connector will go in half of the 8 pin socket. The only caution might be how much power the CPU uses. It'll probably be fine if you don't overclock. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

I am getting a new motherboard and cpu and my current power supply only has one 4 pin connector but the motherboard has a 8 pin connector, can I use the 4 pin connector on the 8 pin motherboard for a ryzen 5 2600x. 

No, because every decent PSU of the last 10 years comes with an 8pin.

So that means you have probably a total garbage PSU that will kill your stuff - the only question is when.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

So that means you have probably a total garbage PSU that will kill your stuff - the only question is when.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend plugging anything into modern hardware of that level that wasn't made with at least an 8 pin. 

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Old doesn't necessarily mean garbage. I still have some high end (for the time) PSUs that are still going strong. Also even when they fail, it doesn't mean things will get damaged. In the old days everyone bought the same "gold 550W" PSU, which was only gold from the colour on the exterior, and no one believed you could get 550W out of it. But it was dirt cheap and lasted over a year when used 24/7. It was ideal for crunchers, as it was far cheaper to buy replace them than get a better unit. Usually you'd notice difficulty booting or instability, and you just replace then.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Old doesn't necessarily mean garbage.

Yes it does.

All PSU from 2003 are garbage by todays standard.

All PSU from 2006 must not be used with modern Hardware and are probably on their way out.

Just now, porina said:

I still have some high end (for the time) PSUs that are still going strong.

Good for you and??

How did you test the PSU?

PC Hardware is often very tolerant towards bad Voltage Regulation. So it might kill your stuff and you don't know it...

Just now, porina said:

Also even when they fail, it doesn't mean things will get damaged.

...the older they are the more likely it will be.

It also depends on the Voltage and Filtering. If something goes wrong there.

And you don't know it, can't know it...

Just now, porina said:

Usually you'd notice difficulty booting or instability, and you just replace then.

Only on some Highest end PSU and even then its not obvious...

But your "high End" 550W PSU has an 8pin PSU anyway. Every decent PSU from the last 10 years or more has it.

There are only 2 Exceptions:
Pico PSU (wich I don't trust anyway) and TFX PSU.

For ATX it means 15€ eBay China stuff or worse.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

How did you test the PSU?

It still works, under 24/7 load.

If something goes wrong there.

Too much PSU paranoia around these parts. A good PSU could go wrong.

Pico PSU (wich I don't trust anyway)

You have to read the spec carefully, the 12V current capability is far less than the overall rating. e.g. I think I have a 150W one, but it is only rated for ~100W continuous on 12V rail. Got it to attempt an ultra-small gaming system I never finished... Otherwise they're fine for low power builds.

For ATX it means 15€ eBay China stuff or worse.

The gold 550W ones I mentioned earlier, which I did NOT call high end, were around £10. Those were fun times. If you wanted a case window, you had to make it yourself. LED wasn't a thing yet, although cold cathodes were.

Back to OP, looks like the 4 pin connector could deliver up to 192W (if PSU and cabling was perfect). For comparison, the 8 pin is 336W. Unofficial numbers from http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

So if I do, then there is a high chance of it breaking my other components? I am also getting an adapter that goes from 4 pin to 8 pin, but will this help it or will the output be the same? The power supply came with a hp omen prebuilt which had a 1060 and a i5-7400 so I dont think it should be that old... Also my psu does have another 4 pin but they are all the domed shaped ones, would it be safe to just plug that into the 8pin with the other 4 pin connector being correct?

5 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

So if I do, then there is a high chance of it breaking my other components?

Without knowing the PSU, its hard to say....

Can you make a pic of the Label of the PSU??

I am also getting an adapter that goes from 4 pin to 8 pin, but will this help it or will the output be the same?

Its totally useless and does change nothing.

YOu have the same cables, the same resistance, the same probabilty that it might burn.

But the PSU is the Problem, not the Rest...

The power supply came with a hp omen prebuilt which had a 1060 and a i5-7400 so I dont think it should be that old...

AH, OK, that changes much.

In that case you might be able to use it, however you should NOT overclock!

But why you change? is the i5-7400 not good enough?

I do not intend to overclock, however this psu is just for about a week or two until I can get a proper one so I just need it to last me a bit. I am upgrading because I previously upgraded by gpu to a 1080 without thinking its going to be bottlenecked, now the most ive seen the 1080 hit is like 50% while my cpu is at 100%

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 8.23.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 8.23.37 PM.png

Here is info Motherboard 4 pin EPS vs 8 pin EPS connector for power? that 4 PIN CPU connector can safely deploy up to 144 Watt. Ryzen 5 2600X has TDP of 95W (it not means max Watt usage however), but in that article one man was afraid of using 125 TDP processor on mainboard with only 4 PIN, becouse it offcially allowed processors with 95 TDP.

So teoretically this Ryzen without OC should work ok, becouse 144 Watt is probably plenty for him.

Here: all the system with this Ryzen and 1080 GTX in gaming took 269 Watt.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-review,7.html

My next question is, doesn't the ryzen overclock on its own up to 4.2 ghz. Or is it overclocking past 4.2 which the ryzen does already that I shouldnt do

22 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

My next question is, doesn't the ryzen overclock on its own up to 4.2 ghz

But it still should not exceed 95 TDP, becouse other models ex- Ryzen 5 2600. with 3.9 Ghz at max, have 65 TDP rating.

ex:

Ryzen 7 1700
(Wraith Spire)
8/16 3,0/3,7 GHz 16 MB DDR4-2666 65 W $299
($329)
Ryzen 5 2600X
(Wraith Spire)
6/12 3,6/4,2 GHz 16 MB DDR4-2933 95 W $229
Ryzen 5 1600X
(bez coolera)
6/12 3,6/4,0 GHz 16 MB DDR4-2666 95 W $219
($249)
Ryzen 5 2600
(Wraith Stealth)
6/12 3,4/3,9 GHz 16 MB DDR4-2933 65 W $199

Anyway I have noname PSU 500 Watt from 2012 bought for 40 USD, and I am still using it without any problem even under 400 Watt load. Everybody in 2012 wrote that it was unreiable PSU, but I measured 5V,12V lines on digital meter lately under high load and both were stable. And from 2012 to 2019 I used my computer for thousends of hours. However mine has 8 PIN for PSU (125 TDP rating CPU-s - ex. power hungry FX 8350), but had only single 4 PIN for GPU. Now using 2x6 PIN for GPU with additional cables.

So it looks like it was (it is) not so bad as they said ...

Awesome, I'll use the 4 pin worry free then, thank you.

15 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

Your PSU has on paper even better stats then mine, and it was even made for Hewlett Packard, so it should be ok. Just do not overclock your CPU higher then boosted 4.2 Ghz.

45 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

I do not intend to overclock, however this psu is just for about a week or two until I can get a proper one so I just need it to last me a bit. I am upgrading because I previously upgraded by gpu to a 1080 without thinking its going to be bottlenecked, now the most ive seen the 1080 hit is like 50% while my cpu is at 100

Be careful!
That PSU is probably better than most other 80plus Bronze units!

So you have to look at Gold units or better (for example Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11) to get a better PSU than that one...

Look at our PSU Tier List!
Personally, if it works and doesn't switch off, I'd use it for a bit longer...

Its a Liteon made. And I'd trust Liteon more than most other manufacturers...

38 minutes ago, Kris3456 said:

Well, there is one advantage of that Extension:
The weakpoint is away from the Motherboard so if it burns, it burns away from the MoBo so it probably survives...

34 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

My next question is, doesn't the ryzen overclock on its own up to 4.2 ghz. Or is it overclocking past 4.2 which the ryzen does already that I shouldnt do

Its not really overclocking, its a feature called XFR...

That's what AMD intended, not really OC...

13 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

Yep, with that PSU its OK.

I usually assume some awful 10€ eBay units that will destroy your stuff. But that one should be fine for a while.

So how long do you think this should last me because in a month im going away for a couple of weeks and once I get back I should be be able to buy a good psu thats gold rated, so do you think this one can last a month?

13 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

So how long do you think this should last me because in a month im going away for a couple of weeks and once I get back I should be be able to buy a good psu thats gold rated, so do you think this one can last a month?

Mine is working non stop from 2012 for 3-4 hours daily on average = about 10.000 hours or even more. I have cleaned it inside many times, and had not a single problem. And it is cheaper and worse model (similar to Feel 3. It is without any rating ...) then Yours . Now supplying rather old and unballanced configuration of Phenom X4 965 BE and GTX 970 which both can demand at max 420 Watt. Now waiting for Ryzen Zen 2 with much better 65 TDP.

Also could I just use these two combined for the 8 pin, even though one the one on the right is not the correct shape?.

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.31.03 PM.png

Not correct shape probably will not fit for 99%. Just buy for 1-3 USD ? 6046520500_1382113992_thumb.jpg

I have read that many old motherboards were working even when plugged with 4 PIN into 8 pin socket. But I do not know what problems could it trigger. One person said that mainboard can start but can be unstable, so I think it's better not to risk on newest equipment.

6934833600_1382116027_thumb.jpg

I already bought that adapter and its on its way but the wattage output wouldn't be changed right? Or would it? Also the 4 pin on the right fit on my current motherboard which is a 4 pin even though the pins are not the right shape.

7 minutes ago, Abhi1401 said:

I already bought that adapter and its on its way but the wattage output wouldn't be changed right? Or would it?

Single 4 PIN as I read can supply no more then 144 Watt. Adapter is changing nothing. Suppling more then that that, can melt such adapter or wires, so as I said do not overclock your CPU manually (higher that boosted 4,2 Ghz)