File copying programs

tinpanalley

I used TeraCopy for years and then switched to FastCopy because I was told it was faster and had more options. While it does seem a hair faster, I feel like Tera was infinitely more intuitive and doing a batch job of things being copied from various folders to one folder was easier.

Does anyone recommend anything else that does the job of speedy reliable copies of files within folders on the same system, sometimes from one drive to another with maybe a few extra beneficial options? Preferably with a GUI. I'm simply not at ease with jumping into DOS quickly to do copying work.

I use RoboCopy at work when I need to move millions of files between drives or servers, it's served me good over the years.

-KuJoe

What's wrong with the built in functions in Windows, Mac, or Linux? 

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

11 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

In Windows, copy can be very slow when doing large chunks. And other programs give you more useful visual cues about what may have gone wrong, copy modes to facilitate large bundles of copying work, etc.

16 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

Single threaded performance is awful and can take days or weeks to copy over a lot of small files one at a time. With software like RoboCopy you can copy over multiple files at a time making it significantly faster.

-KuJoe

3 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Single threaded performance is awful and can take days or weeks to copy over a lot of small files one at a time. With software like RoboCopy you can copy over multiple files at a time making it significantly faster.

Robocopy is build into windows now...

48 minutes ago, Acedia said:

Really? Man Microsoft is really getting better and better each day. Now I can stop having to map to network shares to grab the executable. :D

-KuJoe

I use FreeFileSync for large copies. I made a "hack" so it will verify all copy actions. At the end of an operation, it will report any problems (which are rare).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I use FreeFileSync for large copies. I made a "hack" so it will verify all copy actions. At the end of an operation, it will report any problems (which are rare).

+1; I have used this on multiple machines over the years and it works like a charm.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

7 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

I used TeraCopy for years and then switched to FastCopy because I was told it was faster and had more options. While it does seem a hair faster, I feel like Tera was infinitely more intuitive and doing a batch job of things being copied from various folders to one folder was easier.

Does anyone recommend anything else that does the job of speedy reliable copies of files within folders on the same system, sometimes from one drive to another with maybe a few extra beneficial options? Preferably with a GUI. I'm simply not at ease with jumping into DOS quickly to do copying work.

7 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I use RoboCopy at work when I need to move millions of files between drives or servers, it's served me good over the years.

Robocopy is best copy. No but really, there are better file copy programs out there, but I too have gotten so used to using it on the command line that I have no reason to switch. I even use it to delete those stubborn files & folders with file names that are "too long" despite Windows allowing certain programs to create them in the first place.

3 hours ago, Acedia said:

2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Really? Man Microsoft is really getting better and better each day. Now I can stop having to map to network shares to grab the executable. :D

Robocopy has been built into Windows since Vista... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)