Can ayone recommend a silent 7200RPM 2-3TB HDD?

MGsubbie

I already have quite a decent amount of SSD storage, and used to run 2x WD Blue EZEX 1TB drives. Mainly used for downloads, documents, video files (Nvidia captures are typically 3-4GB per file) and smaller games that don't really benefit much from a hard drive.

I recently got a refurbished HitachiHUA723030ALA640 and it made me realize just how silent the WD Blue's are. I often hear the scratching like noise of moving needles, and it causes so much vibration that even my desk gets some vibration. I'll be looking into adding rubber pads to decrease the amount, but ideally I'd find a better drive and then use this one as an external backup drive. 

I've been looking into the WD Black series, but google searches tell me those are pretty loud too.

Stick with the WD Blue 5400RPM drives if you prefer it to be less audible. They're also pretty cheap as well which is good.

WD Blacks are louder, and considerably more expensive.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Yeah, a silent 7200rpm drive is a bit of a contradiction of terms.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, a silent 7200rpm drive is a bit of a contradiction of terms.

Well, I used to only hear my fans make noise when I was running the two WD Blue's.

Just now, MGsubbie said:

Well, I used to only hear my fans make noise when I was running the two WD Blue's.

Blues are 5400 ;)

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Blues are 5400 ;)

they got one variant that is 7200rpm (which is the 1tb one)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

they got one variant that is 7200rpm (which is the 1tb one)

Just now, MGsubbie said:

Not the 1TB versions, at least the specific ones I had. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK

TIL

So I looked around a bit more, and apparently (can't confirm this though) the Blue 1TB's have anti-vibrational material inside. I assume the versions with more storage don't have enough space. I also noticed that the speeds between 7200RPM and 5400RPM aren't as big as I thought they would be, and since I won't be running big software on it, it shouldn't affect things too much.

Guess I'll be getting a WD Blue 5400RPM.

25 minutes ago, MGsubbie said:

So I looked around a bit more, and apparently (can't confirm this though) the Blue 1TB's have anti-vibrational material inside. I assume the versions with more storage don't have enough space. I also noticed that the speeds between 7200RPM and 5400RPM aren't as big as I thought they would be, and since I won't be running big software on it, it shouldn't affect things too much.

Guess I'll be getting a WD Blue 5400RPM.

Yeah the higher you go in storage the louder things get, because the more disks are in the same hdd.

1-2tb is still fine, but past 4TB the disks sound like server disks.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

9 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

1-2tb is still fine, but past 4TB the disks sound like server disks.

I find out the complains are againt WD black 4tb instead of WD blue 4tb, so I guess wd blue are quiet?

54 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I find out the complains are againt WD black 4tb instead of WD blue 4tb, so I guess wd blue are quiet?

Well i used a toshiba 4tb drive and a seagate 8tb drive, and they are also loud (but the toshiba was a bit louder, as it was a nas drive)

It is a bit hard for a massive amount of fast spinning metal disks to be quiet, if you want full silence then ssds are the way to go, and they have gotten quite cheap.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Well i used a toshiba 4tb drive and a seagate 8tb drive, and they are also loud (but the toshiba was a bit louder, as it was a nas drive)

It is a bit hard for a massive amount of fast spinning metal disks to be quiet, if you want full silence then ssds are the way to go, and they have gotten quite cheap.

Well, as I mentioned before, I already have quite a bit of SSD storage. The cheapest 2TB SSD is a bit over €200, I paid €60 for this HDD. I think spending that much on a drive that's primarily used for videos, pictures and smaller games is a bit of a waste of money.

Just now, MGsubbie said:

Well, as I mentioned before, I already have quite a bit of SSD storage. The cheapest 2TB SSD is a bit over €200, I paid €60 for this HDD. I think spending that much on a drive that's primarily used for videos, pictures and smaller games is a bit of a waste of money.

Yeah i wasn't replying to you, but the other guy.

5400rpm 2-4tb hdd's sound fine.

if you can find some WD golds are ok and probably close to silent but expensive as their basically enterprise drives.

1 hour ago, Tellos said:

if you can find some WD golds are ok and probably close to silent but expensive as their basically enterprise drives.

Golds are not silent.  I have two in my machine and they are loud when they spin up.

@MGsubbieWhat's your budget?  They make SSDs that are greater than 2TB now.  You won't hear them spin

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

30 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Golds are not silent.  I have two in my machine and they are loud when they spin up.

@MGsubbieWhat's your budget?  They make SSDs that are greater than 2TB now.  You won't hear them spin

Probably about €100.