A budget system for photographer

I'm building a budget system but powerful enough for a smooth Lightroom and possibly Photoshop experience.

I have learnt that both applications are more CPU hungry and therefore decided not to cheap out on CPU (still on a budget of around £150 though).

I originally considered i5 8400 (£165), but then I saw Ryzen 5 2600 (£139), which is cheaper but more powerful in terms of multi-core performance which these applications utilise a lot. However, the only setback is it does not come with a graphic card. Therefore, I need a budget GPU. Ryzen 5 2400G comes with a graphic card and even cheaper but inferior CPU performance compared with i5 8400.

GTX710 2G seems to be a good choice, at a price of £33. Otherwise, the only budget choice would be GTX1030, but more costly (£76).

To sum up with a score matrix:

CPU		GPU		total cost		CPU performance		GPU performance		Score

Weightings			2			3			0.5

i5 8400		on-board	1.5 (165)		2			2			10
Ryzen5 2600	GTX710 2G	1.5 (172)		3			1.5			12.75
Ryzen5 2600	GTX 1030	1 (215)			3			4			13
Ryzen5 2400G	on-board APU	2 (122)			1.8			4			11.4

It seems Ryzen 5 2600 + 1030 is the best choice with i5 being the worst.

What do you guys think? Have I got a better option? 

Wait for ryzen 3000. much better ipc at a similar price. then go with a cheap gpu but maybe not a 1030. A Ryzen 3000 apu would work too.

It's been a while since I did serious photography, before Ryzen was launched so I don't have specific comment on how those CPUs would work. I believe that Lr and Ps can make use of GPU acceleration. Even if it is increasing your costs, it might be worth considering a faster GPU.

3 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Wait for ryzen 3000. much better ipc at a similar price. then go with a cheap gpu but maybe not a 1030. A Ryzen 3000 apu would work too.

Note the Ryzen 3000 APUs are one gen behind the upcoming 3000 desktop parts.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

29 minutes ago, Aminoacow said:

multi-core performance which these applications utilise a lot. 

Actually not really, both applications you listed as extremely single-threaded depended and since it's Adobe it favors Intel in every way it can.

What is your true budget for the PC as a whole? we can help you put it together on PCPP considering you're from UK right?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

44 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Actually not really, both applications you listed as extremely single-threaded depended and since it's Adobe it favors Intel in every way it can.

What is your true budget for the PC as a whole? we can help you put it together on PCPP considering you're from UK right?

And that's one of the reasons I despise Adobe. A decade later, and still their multicore performance is still in the 2000s era. At the same time, they charge you monthly for what? Nothing. They just want to milk you.

I run some tests with the latest Lightroom to check how good it utilizes all 4 cores of my Intel i5 2500k, so it seems that Adobe might have addressed the multicore performance of Adobe Lightroom in the latest versions.

Photographer - Videographer 

Loving behavioral analysis and psychology

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Gigabyte 5700xt OC undervolted

Crusial Ballistix sport @ 3400mhz cl16

Some 15tb of storage

The best hardware recommendations for Adobe LR and Photoshop are over at Puget Systems.  LR recommendations are HERE and Photoshop recommendations are HERE..  I do a lot of photo editing and 95% of my work can be done in LR with only occasional Photoshop work.  I've been running a Haswell i7 CPU and an NVIDA GTX 960 (2 GB RAM) for the past three years and don't see any issues at all.  I've done some panorama stitching and the wait time for the process to finish is not unreasonable.  If you do a lot of Photoshop work, maxing out system RAM is a good idea.  I have 16GB right now but if I were to build a new work station I would bump that up to either 32 or 64.  My previous workstation ran an i5 CPU and that was OK at the time.

Hope this helps.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

53 minutes ago, Aminoacow said:

I'm building a budget system but powerful enough for a smooth Lightroom and possibly Photoshop experience.

I have learnt that both applications are more CPU hungry and therefore decided not to cheap out on CPU (still on a budget of around £150 though).

I originally considered i5 8400 (£165), but then I saw Ryzen 5 2600 (£139), which is cheaper but more powerful in terms of multi-core performance which these applications utilise a lot. However, the only setback is it does not come with a graphic card. Therefore, I need a budget GPU. Ryzen 5 2400G comes with a graphic card and even cheaper but inferior CPU performance compared with i5 8400.

GTX710 2G seems to be a good choice, at a price of £33. Otherwise, the only budget choice would be GTX1030, but more costly (£76).

To sum up with a score matrix:

CPU		GPU		total cost		CPU performance		GPU performance		Score

Weightings			2			3			0.5

i5 8400		on-board	1.5 (165)		2			2			10
Ryzen5 2600	GTX710 2G	1.5 (172)		3			1.5			12.75
Ryzen5 2600	GTX 1030	1 (215)			3			4			13
Ryzen5 2400G	on-board APU	2 (122)			1.8			4			11.4

It seems Ryzen 5 2600 + 1030 is the best choice with i5 being the worst.

What do you guys think? Have I got a better option? 

Maybe you should wait a bit more for the Ryzen 3000. Even if there is no Ryzen CPU that fits your needs, a lot of people are going to upgrade, and maybe you can hit some good value second-hand CPU, and since the budget is the main factor, going for a second-hand CPU might yield the best value for your system.

In your post, I don't see any mention on Mobo, or RAM. Adobe Lightroom is not that RAM dependent, but if you want to do heavy Photoshop, with multiple layers and effects, you might want to go for 8gb of RAM or more.

Also, an SSD for storing your Catalogue could make a good difference in performance.

I just did some benchmarks to see how Lightroom utilized all four cores of my Intel i5 2500k. My camera is a Nikon D7100 (24mp) and all my files are converted to DNG. It seems that it uses all four cores when Browsing the library, and while performing edits in the Develop tab. I don't know if this scales to 8 or 12 cores that well, but for 4 cores (no HT) it seems that it benefits from all cores. I performed basic changes like Exposure, Contrast, Curves, Noise reduction, and Spot Removal and File Export. In every case, I saw all 4 cores bump to 100% which is good news. 

Photographer - Videographer 

Loving behavioral analysis and psychology

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Gigabyte 5700xt OC undervolted

Crusial Ballistix sport @ 3400mhz cl16

Some 15tb of storage

On 5/30/2019 at 1:01 PM, Princess Luna said:

I don't have a set budget. I intend to go as low as possible but the system should have a sound performance, i.e. smooth LR and PS experience for photos with ~2000MP. Slow on exporting images and applying non-slider adjustments (such as fx in PS) are fine. I know I need i5 or Ryzen 5 only, so I wrote I have a budget of ~£150 for CPU, which is the price point for these CPUs. And I have already made a list on PCPP: 

For storage, I have a spare NVMe SSD 1TB, so I only selected a HDD. Graphic card is missing because I'm still searching for one.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:19 PM, Alan G said:

The best hardware recommendations for Adobe LR and Photoshop are over at Puget Systems.  LR recommendations are HERE and Photoshop recommendations are HERE..  I do a lot of photo editing and 95% of my work can be done in LR with only occasional Photoshop work.  I've been running a Haswell i7 CPU and an NVIDA GTX 960 (2 GB RAM) for the past three years and don't see any issues at all.  I've done some panorama stitching and the wait time for the process to finish is not unreasonable.  If you do a lot of Photoshop work, maxing out system RAM is a good idea.  I have 16GB right now but if I were to build a new work station I would bump that up to either 32 or 64.  My previous workstation ran an i5 CPU and that was OK at the time.

Hope this helps.

I have looked at Puget. Their options are too expensive for a casual photographer, but offers useful information for building a custom system. In fact, I took their words for saying LR and PS are more CPU hungry. Also my wife does not need "Enhanced Details" for her photo editing, so I decide to go cheap on GPU.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:57 PM, TheoKondak said:

Maybe you should wait a bit more for the Ryzen 3000. Even if there is no Ryzen CPU that fits your needs, a lot of people are going to upgrade, and maybe you can hit some good value second-hand CPU, and since the budget is the main factor, going for a second-hand CPU might yield the best value for your system.

Yup, I agree but my wife seems a bit anxious about waiting. I told her that the Ryzen 5 3600G coming in early July would be a beast at its price point compared with those currently on the market. What about now and then, she asked. I don't fancy sharing my PC with her since I work at night too sometimes D:.

................... I might better off sharing my PC with her for her good sake.