Asus ROG Maximus XI hero WiFi board gives me post code A9 and A2

Empty__

Hi, I’ve recently built my dream pc and it is the second pc I’ve ever built, had some difficulty when building the pc and made stupid errors (had to uninstall and reinstall the ram about 10 times as I kept forgetting about the top fan connectors). Upon startup everything lights up and I am able to get to the bios. In the bios all the ram is detected but my drives are not. Initially it spat out the error A2. I really hope it is not the graphics card as unlike other threads I have read the hdmi port through the gpu gets me to the bios. No operating system is installed as I can only go to the bios. Help is greatly appreciated. 

System: 

i9 9900k

Asus ROG Maximus Xi hero (WiFi) 

RTX 2070 ROG o8g 

16gb Corsair vengeance rgb 

Corsair H100i AIO

Corsair RMX850 psu 

2tb hdd seagate 

500gb adata ssd 

639FA5F0-2FAA-4142-9566-FF12AA1620D6.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Empty__ said:

Hi, I’ve recently built my dream pc and it is the second pc I’ve ever built, had some difficulty when building the pc and made stupid errors (had to uninstall and reinstall the ram about 10 times as I kept forgetting about the top fan connectors). Upon startup everything lights up and I am able to get to the bios. In the bios all the ram is detected but my drives are not. Initially it spat out the error A2 

make sure your drives are all connected properly. try unplugging and replugging them in

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

make sure your drives are all connected properly. try unplugging and replugging them in

I have tried unplugging and replugging both of the drives and they don’t show up. I know at least that the ssd works as I plugged it into my old pc previously to check it. 

Just now, Empty__ said:

I have tried unplugging and replugging both of the drives and they don’t show up. I know at least that the ssd works as I plugged it into my old pc previously to check it. 

do you have the drivers for them? you could try booting into safe mode and installing them

32 minutes ago, Sychic said:

do you have the drivers for them? you could try booting into safe mode and installing them

Okay I will try this when I get back, thank you for your help 

7 hours ago, Sychic said:

Upon a cmos clear my ssd is now being detected but I still have the code A9 on my motherboard 

2 hours ago, Empty__ said:

Upon a cmos clear my ssd is now being detected but I still have the code A9 on my motherboard 

Try going into your bios and changing the boot priority to use a bootable USB and try that

1 hour ago, Sychic said:

Try going into your bios and changing the boot priority to use a bootable USB and try that

I have a 16gb usb stick with the windows installer on it the same as when I built my first pc but it won’t let me boot with just the usb, it won’t let me get past the bios and just posts straight there when turning off or on the pc 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Sychic said:

Turns out one of my psu sata power cables is faulty (the one attached to the hdd) so I speculate that is the reason that my hdd doesn’t show up. Further, in the bios it won’t let me attribute the ssd in the boot priority but it does show that I have a 500gb ssd 

28 minutes ago, Empty__ said:

Turns out one of my psu sata power cables is faulty (the one attached to the hdd) so I speculate that is the reason that my hdd doesn’t show up. Further, in the bios it won’t let me attribute the ssd in the boot priority but it does show that I have a 500gb ssd 

so does it work now?

26 minutes ago, Sychic said:

so does it work now?

No the mobo still reads code A9 (moved from A2 the day of the build to A9 the day after) and I still can’t use the ssd to boot. It shows up in my storage information tab but does not show up in boot priority. Sorry for the confusion I’m quite new to this. I can only get to the bios.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Sychic said:

so does it work now?

Mobo still gives me error code A9 but I now can see both my 500gb ssd and 2tb hdd in the storage information however they do not show up in boot priority. What does the A9 specifically mean?

image.jpg

9 hours ago, Empty__ said:

Mobo still gives me error code A9 but I now can see both my 500gb ssd and 2tb hdd in the storage information however they do not show up in boot priority. What does the A9 specifically mean?

It means that they can't detect the boot drive. Go into advanced mode, navigate over to the storage tab, and try to enable the drives.

45 minutes ago, Sychic said:

It means that they can't detect the boot drive. Go into advanced mode, navigate over to the storage tab, and try to enable the drives.

In the Maximus xi hero’s bios I did fine this tab so what should I do from there? The sata ports are enabled but they still don’t show up in the boot priority or boot menu 

5 minutes ago, Empty__ said:

In the Maximus xi hero’s bios I did fine this tab so what should I do from there? The sata ports are enabled but they still don’t show up in the boot priority or boot menu 

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Sychic said:

Would getting new drives be prudent or a new mobo? I think the mobo is fine but I might take it to my local micro center.

11 hours ago, Sychic said:

IM SO HAPPY! Thank you for your help I finally got to this screen and hopefully will be able to boot an os. I will update if I have trouble in the future 

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does your system work? I have the same problem with the q-code A9 and I’m stuck on a black screen.