What to do?

NunoLava1998

The outlet my PC is plugged into is "perfectly okay"; because it shocks the sh*t out of me while touching the end of i.e a 5V USB charger cable while other outlets are fine.

Will a surge protector/good UPS fix this? Or do I need to buy a 10m power extension cord to the good outlet in my room?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Will a surge protector/good UPS fix this?

Probably, because it sounds like some kind of exposed contact letting electricity arc a little.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Probably, because it sounds like some kind of exposed contact letting electricity arc a little.

Any good UPS you recommend then? Should I go for On-Line or just regular UPS?

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Any good UPS you recommend then? Should I go for On-Line or just regular UPS?

Personally I think the surge protector route is more suitable, a good UPS is far pricier than a decent surge protector. Unless you really want to have that neat continuous operation in a brown out, then get a cyberpower unit. That's what I've got.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Personally I think the surge protector route is more suitable, a good UPS is far pricier than a decent surge protector. Unless you really want to have that neat continuous operation in a brown out, then get a cyberpower unit. That's what I've got.

Any decent surge protectors you recommend? (I'd prefer if it had 5-6+ slots)

7 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Any decent surge protectors you recommend? (I'd prefer if it had 5-6+ slots)

$20 stuff from Amazon does the job

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

$20 stuff from Amazon does the job

Most expensive one (32€) is Eaton ProtectionBox one with 6 slots; good enough

44 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Most expensive one (32€) is Eaton ProtectionBox one with 6 slots; good enough

Personally I never opt for the most expensive options, but it would sure work

Primary PC:

Your outlet isn't grounded or something inside your PC is shorted to power, call an electrician before someone is killed

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Your outlet isn't grounded or something inside your PC is shorted to power, call an electrician before someone is killed

Outlet is Type F which is supposed to have ground. I'll look into a surge protector.

It doesn't shock the shit out of me, I can just feel it and i impulsively put my hand away; but it doesn't hurt afterwards or anything and static shock is worse

There's no voltages coming out of a standard PC PSU that would allow you to feel shocked on bare dry skin. Call an electrician before someone with a weak heart is killed.

Just now, Bitter said:

There's no voltages coming out of a standard PC PSU that would allow you to feel shocked on bare dry skin. Call an electrician before someone with a weak heart is killed.

I'll buy a surge protector first and see if that fixes it; if it doesn't, i'll replace my PSU. If that doesn't fix it, I'll call an electrician.

image.png.33fb0a5d08ae5c77c65d707d22ddf0fd.pngcursed showerhead

That green wire on the shower head MUST be connected to a ground such as a metal water pipe, it's positioned inside the nozzle where the water goes through to collect any stray current and put it to ground instead of it coming out and shocking you! This is especially needed if you have water with a lot of minerals because that kind of water conducts power more than regular water does.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That green wire on the shower head MUST be connected to a ground such as a metal water pipe, it's positioned inside the nozzle where the water goes through to collect any stray current and put it to ground instead of it coming out and shocking you! This is especially needed if you have water with a lot of minerals because that kind of water conducts power more than regular water does.

it's not my actual showerhead i got the image from the internet

It's an outlet wiring fault, likely a poor ground connection. Do you mean a plug top charger or using the PC to charge your device?

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's an outlet wiring fault, likely a poor ground connection. Do you mean a plug top charger or using the PC to charge your device?

PC to charge device. When I plug it into a USB->wall adapter and plug it into the known good outlet it just works fine

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

PC to charge device. When I plug it into a USB->wall adapter and plug it into the known good outlet it just works fine

It'll be a bad ground. There's filter capacitors in the PSU between Live and ground, and neutral and ground. They stop high frequency noise going back out into the grid. Without a decent ground connection it takes an alternative path which is through the USB cable and through you. "Shouldn't" be harmful, but if anything in the PSU causes a short to the chassis or a filter capacitor fails, you'll find out about it when you touch the cable/machine and another grounded appliance. Depending on how experianced you are with electrics you can test the ground impedance yourself, I wouldn't recommend it though if you don't have the right tools.

9 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It'll be a bad ground. There's filter capacitors in the PSU between Live and ground, and neutral and ground. They stop high frequency noise going back out into the grid. Without a decent ground connection it takes an alternative path which is through the USB cable and through you. "Shouldn't" be harmful, but if anything in the PSU causes a short to the chassis or a filter capacitor fails, you'll find out about it when you touch the cable/machine and another grounded appliance. Depending on how experianced you are with electrics you can test the ground impedance yourself, I wouldn't recommend it though if you don't have the right tools.

Weird thing is the wall adapter doesn't even have ground, it's type C plug

firstly get your wall outlet checked by landlord or certified electrician, secondly think about replacing your psu and mains cable and thirdly be vary carefully using your system while this is happening... it could hurt you, your family/pets or even damage your motherboard cpu if stray current is going around your pc to parts it shouldnt!

1 minute ago, lordoftime79 said:

firstly get your wall outlet checked by landlord or certified electrician, secondly think about replacing your psu and mains cable and thirdly be vary carefully using your system while this is happening... it could hurt you, your family/pets or even damage your motherboard cpu if stray current is going around your pc to parts it shouldnt!

I'll replace my PSU cable and add a surge protector. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try a different outlet. If that fixes it, I'll try to get an electrician. If that doesn't fix it, I'll get a new PSU.

4 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'll replace my PSU cable and add a surge protector. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try a different outlet. If that fixes it, I'll try to get an electrician. If that doesn't fix it, I'll get a new PSU.

sounds like a good plan - good luck :)