What to do.

Hi, if you haven't noticed i'm new around here.

I am just seeking some advice and I thought this place would be a great place to ask.

My current situation is that I have a £500 budget (with an already existing gaming pc) and I really want to upgrade my cpu. Im currently stuck between intel and AMD, and wondering what the best kind of options were. I did some tampering, and I found out that I could stay within my budget with a ryzen 2700x with ram and a motherboard (Taking into account that the ryzen cpu that is in this build comes with a good default cooler). On the other hand however, I slightly stayed within if not went over slightly with a build involving a 17 9600k build (taking into account switching between different coolers/motherboards), with a separate cooler, ram and of course a motherboard. From these two i went with the AMD option as I thought it would be better, however after I went to look up the various pros and cons on both of them and due to intel being better at gaming than the ryzen which is more for production I believe, I dont really know the next step to make.

For some background I usually use this computer just for gaming, and the occasional use of photoshop (although i use it very lightly and not extremely often.)

In short, I'm asking for starters on whether first of all the best i can get is an intel i5 9600k or a ryzen 7 2700x for my budget, and if so, which one would be the best option for my build.

Sorry if this question seems silly to some im sort of a noob when it comes to building decent gaming pc's, and if you need any more information feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

Well idk, but for me:

AMD CPU>intel CPU

Nvidia GPU>AMD GPU

Ryzen and Intel are basically tied when it comes to gaming. It's more of a personal preference and budget thing. I personally like Intel but if you're trying to keep the cost lower, Ryzen is perfectly fine. Perhaps with the money you save, you can upgrade your motherboard or GPU.

I would recommend Ryzen for the simple fact that AMD likes to stick with the same socket for as long as possible. If you buy a nice X470 motherboard you will probably have a good few years of CPU compatibility ahead of you.

Intel, by comparison, changes chipsets almost every generation and offers almost 0 compatibility between them.

The performance gap is also very narrow, and Intel really only benches better in games optimized for Intel CPU's.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, boltoflightning said:

Ryzen and Intel are basically tied when it comes to gaming. It's more of a personal preference and budget thing. I personally like Intel but if you're trying to keep the cost lower, Ryzen is perfectly fine. Perhaps with the money you save, you can upgrade your motherboard or GPU.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah thanks for clearing some stuff up for me. I was judging from the fact that the amd cpu was specifically designed for something else it wouldnt be the best ideal option for gaming.

1 minute ago, Hade said:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah thanks for clearing some stuff up for me. I was judging from the fact that the amd cpu was specifically designed for something else it wouldnt be the best ideal option for gaming.

No problem. Enjoy your system and good luck building!

Really soon, like a couple days or so, new products will be announced. When fresh Ryzen processors hit the market, they may match or beat Intel in gaming performance, and the pricing will be very competitive. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Really soon, like a couple days or so, new products will be announced. When fresh Ryzen processors hit the market, they may match or beat Intel in gaming performance, and the pricing will be very competitive. 

Glad you mentioned that. Saw a post speculating them earlier, which completely changed the way i thought about the situation. I will most likely wait it out, and see as the new ryzen stuff does look pretty great!

Just now, Hade said:

Glad you mentioned that. Saw a post speculating them earlier, which completely changed the way i thought about the situation. I will most likely wait it out, and see as the new ryzen stuff does look pretty great!

8PM central time is AMD's part of the livestream, youtube will be full of info after that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

8PM central time is AMD's part of the livestream, youtube will be full of info after that.

Unless they delay the important stuff into E3, but i really hope that it is not the case. (GamersNexus thinks it is the case)

I hope that Computex is for Ryzen, and E3 is for Navi.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Unless they delay the important stuff into E3, but i really hope that it is not the case. (GamersNexus thinks it is the case)

I hope that Computex is for Ryzen, and E3 is for Navi.

I could definitely see E3 for navi because of the rumors about it being the driving hardware for next gen consoles, but Ryzen is all about desktop gaming. If they delay that even more, they better have something really special to put out there.

Edited by fasauceome

Primary PC: