Star citizen insurance and other expenses

qwertywarrior

hi guys

i read the FAQ and it pretty much answered all my questions

but

why does insurance exist

it really feels like an inconvenience

also this

Like in real-life insurance should be a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses which will also include paying landing fees, trade tariffs , fuel

pushes me away from buying it

same thing with EVE

thoughts ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Realism. 

It's all about realism. About creating a world within Star Citizen that's basically an alternate life for you. 

That includes insurance, trade tariffs, and fuel costs. 

I think they are stopping short of making you eat and stuff, but in most cases, Star Citizen is going to be very realistic when possible (so long as it doesn't take away from the fun).

Why would this push you away from buying it? As it says, all those things will be relatively cheap expenses. Insurance is so that, if your ship gets destroyed, you don't have to have a huge savings account to buy a new one. 

Because your ship doesn't magically come back. It's gone. *poof* 

The only thing insurance doesn't cover, AFAIK, is upgrades. So even if you get your ship back, it won't be upgraded and you'll have to buy those again.

Not only that, but there is a time related thing for insurance. Like, you don't just instantly get your ship back. Things like that take time IRL, so it will take time in Star Citizen. You'd use that time to go do something else in the game, I'm sure.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Realism. 

It's all about realism. About creating a world within Star Citizen that's basically an alternate life for you. 

That includes insurance, trade tariffs, and fuel costs. 

I think they are stopping short of making you eat and stuff, but in most cases, Star Citizen is going to be very realistic when possible.

but those are the disadvantages of realism

dont you think so

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

but those are the disadvantages of realism

dont you think so

What are the disadvantages of realism? Insurance, fuel, and trade tariffs? 

I don't think you get what Star Citizen is trying to become. 

There was once a Star Wars MMO (the name escapes me atm) that has been shut down for a while. It was a very diverse and deep MMO. You could do anything. You could do any job you wanted, and never touch anything else. Most people never touched the combat aspect of the game. They just built cities, or sold goods. Of which there were tons of sub-categories of choices in class and such. 

The thing was awesome. And Star Citizen's aim is to basically become that. But better. 

There has to be fuel costs. Because there will be people transporting fuel in the game to ships and such. And they have to be paid. The goal is to make it a true economic ecosystem, as far as I can tell. 

And honestly, I think it would be cool. Very EVE online like, which I consider a good thing.

I love realism and pushing the boundaries of what games can be. But what I don't understand is why you consider these things bad. The game isn't even out yet and won't be for a year. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

you have to pay real money for fuel and stuff?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

you have to pay real money for fuel and stuff?

No. You have to pay for fuel and insurance in game. Like in real life. But with in game money which you have to earn.

† Christian Member †

No. You have to pay for fuel and insurance in game. Like in real life. But with in game money which you have to earn.

ah ok then. ^^

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

If you have to put money into all these things Im pretty sure there will be a reasonable way to make money with a ship. These are just small money pits for people to dump into so the economy doesn't get over inflated like many mmo's.

Am I the only person not interested in this game? It just seems like the people who put the most money into the game are going to have a big advantage over everyone else, or am I wrong?

Am I the only person not interested in this game? It just seems like the people who put the most money into the game are going to have a big advantage over everyone else, or am I wrong?

You're wrong. 

People who put the most money into the game will have more ships. But they can only fly one ship at a time. They can let their friends fly ships as rentals or wtv, but that requires friends and is more for guilds and such.

And guilds just naturally will always have a major advantage over other players who play alone because that's just the nature of a guild. There's no way to change that without destroying the point of a guild or taking away the fun of it, and imo there's no point in doing that.

Life-time Insurance is a very tiny advantage according to Christ Roberts. Something to give to the early backers that makes them special, but won't play a significant role in the game later on once it's made. 

Real money in this game can buy ships, and hangars. Hangars are mostly aesthetic things and that's it. Ships are just options for what you want to do in the game. Those ships can also be bought with in game currency you earn by playing, so they aren't real-money restricted. 

The only exception is the one off special ships, but those are usually only slightly different than the normal ones. Like, different aesthetics, layouts, and a slightly different equipment build so that they can do different things than the normal ship. But not that much different. 

They are doing a good job of balancing things so far imo. Making sure that the people who want to throw money at the game get something special, but not allowing it to be P2W.

You can also buy real money upgrades for your ships, but again, these are just like the ships themselves. You can get them in game for in game money once the game is out, and any unique upgrades are just slightly altered versions of their base form. Not overpowered, but "different".

Like shooting slightly faster, but with less power. That type of thing.

† Christian Member †