How interchangable are motherboard QVL RAM Models?

I'm considering a PC upgrade to an R5 2600X and an MSI B450 Tomahawk. My goal is to get memory listed on the QVL that is ideally 3200+MHz and has decent timings. Here is an example of one QVL listed RAM kit I'm considering:Capture.PNG.aa880d378da0623fd1840954059f7f4d.PNG

My questions are:

• How important is the model number in the shown QVL? The listed model number is for a single 16Gb DIMM. If I get 2 8Gb DIMMS, the model number changes to HX433C16PB3K2/16. Will this different RAM work the same even though the model number isn't the same?
  • How can the shown single DIMM of RAM be confirmed to work as 2 DIMMs if it's only a single DIMM? (See the last column for 2 DIMM confirmation)
  • Since 1 and 2 DIMMs are checked, does that mean I can get 1 or 2 DIMMS that total 16Gb, or I can get 1 or 2 DIMMS that are each 16Gb?
  • Do you have any advice/suggestions for my potential setup? I currently have an RX 480 that I intend on keeping for a while. I upgrade infrequently. I mostly game, but also do SolidWorks and light content creation.

Thanks for your help.

Not that important.. Get any decent 3200mhz kit and call it a day (just don't get something weird and not common, use pcpartpicker.com and get one from there, most shouldn't have an issue).

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Not that important.. Get any decent 3200mhz kit and call it a day (just don't get something weird and not common, use pcpartpicker.com and get one from there, most shouldn't have an issue).

Nah Chief they matter. Literally last night someone on here posted about frequent system crashes using a Ryzen 5 2400G and a B450 motherboard and turns out he had incompatible RAM. I had the same problem when I built my Ryzen system last year. QVL matters for Ryzen.

10 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Nah Chief they matter. Literally last night someone on here posted about frequent system crashes using a Ryzen 5 2400G and a B450 motherboard and turns out he had incompatible RAM. I had the same problem when I built my Ryzen system last year. QVL matters for Ryzen.

QVL doesn't matter much (it's just officially tested RAM)..

Sure, some RAM doesn't work well with Ryzen.. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though, if you end up with some that doesn't work then grab another pair and just return it..

It's really not something I would worry too much about.. If you use pcpartpicker, you can see who else on the site is using the RAM and in what builds they're using it in (Ryzen, Intel, etc.. If you don't see any Ryzen builds for a certain product, find something else if you're worried).. Please use common sense when buying a product. Don't test something with ZERO feedback on either that site or anywhere else on the web..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

2 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

QVL doesn't matter much (it's just officially tested RAM)..

Sure, some RAM doesn't work well with Ryzen.. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though, if you end up with some that doesn't work then grab another pair and just return it..

It's really not something I would worry too much about.. If you use pcpartpicker, you can see who else on the site is using the RAM and in what builds they're using it in (Ryzen, Intel, etc.. If you don't see any Ryzen builds for a certain product, find something else if you're worried).. Please use common sense when buying a product. Don't test something with ZERO feedback on either that site or anywhere else on the web..

Better safe than sorry man. I recommend going with the QVL.

9 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Better safe than sorry man. I recommend going with the QVL.

I think it's a good reference (guide), but nothing more.. If the RAM you want is on the list then you're golden.. But I wouldn't pass up some RAM I really wanted because it's not on the QVL.. 

Gen 1 Ryzen (1600/1700x) had more memory issues.. Gen 2 is considered A LOT better when it comes to compatibility.. To the KY r that I wouldn't worry.. 

There are better kits that are more likely to run at XMP, yes.. I personally wouldn't cheap out on memory for Ryzen.. I use B Die in my build and cheap 3000mhz in the family PC. Both Ryzen.