WD Black Gen3x4 NVMe 78C?!

General Schnips

Yikes, I didn't know these required heatsinks right off the bat. Right now it has a fair workload but ... holy God. The rest of the system is under 32C!

Is this caking the drive? What do I do?! ?

NOTES: Drive sites like 4cm from CPU. Turning CPU fan to maximum reduces the heat to 57C. Still needs to be way cooler IMHO and I don't want the CPU fan to be jacked.

NVMe drives can run really hot while in use. Sitting on desktop my 970 evo was at 47°C. I just transferred a 20GB file and it went up to 70°C.
78°C isn't an issue if you're reading/writing from the drive. If it gets too hot it should actually throttle itself to prevent it from overheating. If you are concerned then a heatsink may help and there are plenty available online.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Maybe it’s in an airflow deadspot?

Mine does get hot, over 60, but it’s in a place with good airflow.

can you put a small fan to direct air onto it? Otherwise just a heatsink night do

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I like what Spotty is saying because it involved doing absolutely nothing ? 

but I'll look into a cute little heat sink for it anyway since those heat numbers trigger my obsessive desire to keep things cool inside the case.