So basically I'm looking to upgrade my 4460 to something more substantial for a while to come. Looking for something around the 200ish mark and I found either a 4790 or a 8100, MOBO, and DDR4 ram for around that. Which should I roll with? 

Could you get the new board and ram with a 6 core i5? i3 8100 isn't really an upgrade, but I can't recommend the 4790 because it is a dead socket.

12 minutes ago, PolarBroOmega said:

So basically I'm looking to upgrade my 4460 to something more substantial for a while to come. Looking for something around the 200ish mark and I found either a 4790 or a 8100, MOBO, and DDR4 ram for around that. Which should I roll with? 

If it cost just as much either way get the 8100 and throw an 8400 or better in it down the line. But if it is notably cheaper to grab the 4790 go ahead.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

21 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Could you get the new board and ram with a 6 core i5? i3 8100 isn't really an upgrade, but I can't recommend the 4790 because it is a dead socket.

So I'm looking at the I5-9400F, I have a 1070 so I'm not really concerned about the missing gpu from the processor. Found a 300 series 9th gen supported mobo and DDR4 ram for close to my pricepoint, would this be decent enough? From what I can see it seems to average like 10fps more in most games but just trying to be fully sure before I pull the trigger this friday lol

The i5 9400f isn’t bad at all, I’d rather get that then a old i7 or the i3 8100 for sure. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Go AMD... 2600 and a good B450 board... 

or 1st gen ryzen … save a buck or two on the CPU..