Help Identify VRM? Did I pick correct heatsink size for them?

Go to solution Solved by Faa,

That's not the vrm. Those are chokes containing coils inside so it isnt worth it to cool them. Why the hell would you cool some copper wires off? Copper can handle upto dunno 400° no ideas. Basically if your GPU coilwhines its coming from the chokes, if theyre open like my example below you can glue them to prevent them from vibrating and therefore your noise goes away. Nowadays theyre closed.

You see:

vrm.jpg

VRM contains lots of stuff like probably the easiest to recognize for most of us are the chokes & caps, mosfet/drivers/pwm controllers are those flat black things (left from the coil is an example). Motherboard with heatsinks cool off those mosfets etc, the choke isn't important.

OK to clarify these are for the AsRock FM2A88X+ ITX motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157464

I do plan on overclocking with a Noctua NH-L12. I'm only concerned because I rarely see them on a higher end board (I know AMD A88X is no Z87) without heatsink. I know my downdraw cooler will blow air onto them just wondering if it was necessary. It I don't need to be concerned then great, one less expense. 

And my only other option for a Mini ITX A88X board is a Gigabyte one whose CPU placement essentially leaves 0 quality aftermarket options available. 

Let's be realistic; whatever OC a NHL12 will allow that CPU will consume nothing so don't expect the VRM running hot either. They can handle upto 120° and you're nowhere coming close to this range especially with that naturefriendly CPU. The power consumption in prime95 would be always worse but who cares for a few hours to test your stability.

Yes, those are the VRM's you're right,

You need to use a H100 for each of them.

-sorry, thought you were trolling by pointing with the red lines :P didn't see the white circle, you should have made it stand out more!

If they don't come with heatsinks then you shouldnt need to buy extra cooling for them. Chances are that the chips or the mobo itself can't handle much  to be worth overclocking.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

?? I'm pretty certain that you don't need any... If they needed it, it would come with the board from the factory.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Yes those are VRMs. I would choose the first one because it has a larger surface area. You wouldn't need any normally if you are just running it at stock.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I do plan on overclocking with a Noctua NH-L12. I'm only concerned because I rarely see them on a higher end board (I know AMD A88X is no Z87) without heatsink. I know my downdraw cooler will blow air onto them just wondering if it was necessary. It I don't need to be concerned then great, one less expense. 

And my only other option for a Mini ITX A88X board is a Gigabyte one whose CPU placement essentially leaves 0 quality aftermarket options available. 

That's not the vrm. Those are chokes containing coils inside so it isnt worth it to cool them. Why the hell would you cool some copper wires off? Copper can handle upto dunno 400° no ideas. Basically if your GPU coilwhines its coming from the chokes, if theyre open like my example below you can glue them to prevent them from vibrating and therefore your noise goes away. Nowadays theyre closed.

You see:

vrm.jpg

VRM contains lots of stuff like probably the easiest to recognize for most of us are the chokes & caps, mosfet/drivers/pwm controllers are those flat black things (left from the coil is an example). Motherboard with heatsinks cool off those mosfets etc, the choke isn't important.

Let's be realistic; whatever OC a NHL12 will allow that CPU will consume nothing so don't expect the VRM running hot either. They can handle upto 120° and you're nowhere coming close to this range especially with that naturefriendly CPU. The power consumption in prime95 would be always worse but who cares for a few hours to test your stability.

You see:

vrm.jpg

Thanks for your very detailed answer, just one more question. Is the fact that the mini pcie card overlaying some of the Mosfets (I hope I go that right). Would that be forseen as a potential issue or not really? 

Thanks for your very detailed answer, just one more question. Is the fact that the mini pcie card overlaying some of the Mosfets (I hope I go that right). Would that be forseen as a potential issue or not really? 

PCie cards won't cover the mosfets for the cpu so shouldn't be an issue. If you try to install any heatsinks or anything like that it would void your warranty.

PCie cards won't cover the mosfets for the cpu so shouldn't be an issue. If you try to install any heatsinks or anything like that it would void your warranty.

I'm referring to the mini PCIE wireless card in the picture that looks like it is overlaying some mosfets.

I'm referring to the mini PCIE wireless card in the picture that looks like it is overlaying some mosfets.

Ah right the picture in the OP sorry. No it isn't overlaying it, I think that card is tilted up; if you would take that card out it might stratch the pcb etc that's why its tilted up.