M.2 SSD Showing Up In Bios, but not in Windows 10

Connor Bittick
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

You need to open your disc management tool and format the drive. Its not showing up because its not formated. 

If using windows 10, right click on start menu and select Disk Management. Down in the bottom section, you will likely see a drive that is all black in the bar to the right. Right click on that and hit format. Once you finish that, you will have a useable drive. 

I just installed an m.2 drive(pcie, not sata), it shows up in bios but not in Windows file explorer. The drive shows up in device manager so it appears to have power. If I need to format it, how?

By the way I already had a hard drive installed with Windows and two of the SATA ports of the MoB were disabled. I assume this is normal. Booting into Windows now takes much longer as well.

For reference:

MoB: ASUS Strix B350-f

Drive: WD Black 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD

You need to open your disc management tool and format the drive. Its not showing up because its not formated. 

If using windows 10, right click on start menu and select Disk Management. Down in the bottom section, you will likely see a drive that is all black in the bar to the right. Right click on that and hit format. Once you finish that, you will have a useable drive. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

"Initialize Disk". What partition style should I use, MBR or GPT?

1 minute ago, Connor Bittick said:

GPT

1 minute ago, Connor Bittick said:

GPT unless its your boot drive, which im pretty sure its not. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

GPT unless its your boot drive, which im pretty sure its not. 

Even if it is you should choose GPT.

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue and I tried formatting it but it still won’t show up in file explorer. What should I do?

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2021 at 3:32 PM, Alex125609 said:

I have the same issue and I tried formatting it but it still won’t show up in file explorer. What should I do?

Same issue did you ever have any luck?