Do I Need a DAC/AMP for headphones?

GanstaKingofSA

So I read the FAQ and the Before You Buy a DAC/AMP Topics here on the forums and what catches my eye is the DAC/AMP Topic where it says

Reasons to NOT get a DAC.

1. No noise.

2. No coloring in your onboard.

3. You already have "transparent" sound. ( kinda the same as Nr. 2)

4. Takes up space.

5. You will need to buy an amp.

And

Reasons to NOT get a amp.

1. You can power your headphones.

2. Takes up space.

While the FAQ says

1. Improve your source - Get lossless music files in formats like FLAC, Monkey's Audio, and True Audio by re-ripping your CDs or buying them from sites like HDTracks.com or Bandcamp.com.
2. Get better headphones or speakers - Even sub $100 headphones can seriously improve audio quality, especially with designs that have open cups. Speakers don't need to run you dry, either. Need some suggestions? Just ask. We've got way too many speakers and headphones to not have listened to a set you might like.
3. Get a better AMP/DAC or Soundcard - Once you know that your headphones or speakers would really only get loud enough with special amplification or your onboard is just too noisy, then this step becomes worth your time and money. For more information on what kind fits what sort of headphones, keep reading. For speakers, it's a receiver to go with your bookshelf units if your speakers don't come in a set. Good speakers don't.
4. Cables - They don't matter unless they have bad connectors or they break inside. Digital matters even less as long as it's a properly built cable. See: http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/mags/The_Audio_Critic_26_r.pdf(page 5)
5. Power Conditioning - NO
6. Other things - Pebbles, wooden blocks, fancy power and USB cables, PCI bus conditioners, AND MORE! - NO

I have on my hand some Focal Utopia's that I got in Dallas for a good offer and according to the Documentation Sheet they say this

Impedance: 80 Ohms

Sensitivity: 104dB SPL / 1mW @ 1kHz

THD: <0,2% @ 1kHz / 100dB SPL

Frequency response: 5Hz - 50kH

And my PC Motherboard's has the Realtek® ALC892 Codec onboard (MSI Z370-A PRO).

According to the DAC/AMP post it says I don't need a DAC or a AMP as I can power them through my PC (got a adapter to 3.5mm), and hear 0 noise in music with FLAC files so does that mean that I don't need it even if I want to increase my overall audio experience even more or am I already at the best that I can get right now?

yes you would need a dac amp. while on board could powwer it that headphone is sensitive enough to benefit a lot a froma  good dac and a good amp. here is what I would say is the best value dac amp around a $500 insanely clean amp with a decent dac. really eficient and has the awesome THX AAA tech taht is new age and clean. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459

of course you can get a cheaper setup get a nice topping DAC and pair it with a jds labs atom. 

My list was made with the people in mind that think they would get a benefit from running stuff like M50x and other bad headphones out of something better than a modern motherboard, when in reality it would make more sense to just invest in better headphones.

Yes you would clearly benefit from a DAC and an amp, what is your budget?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

28 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

My list was made with the people in mind that think they would get a benefit from running stuff like M50x and other bad headphones out of something better than a modern motherboard, when in reality it would make more sense to just invest in better headphones.

Yes you would clearly benefit from a DAC and an amp, what is your budget?

in this other thread he said he wanted to go entry level. I suggested gettinga topping dac with a atomor a liquid spark. honestly I would get something better for that level of headphone.

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

in this other thread he said he wanted to go entry level. I suggested gettinga topping dac with a atomor a liquid spark. honestly I would get something better for that level of headphone.

SDAC with the Atom would be a better setup, but the headphones would benefit from something like a RME ADI 2 DAC or Soekris 1541, maybe with a BHA 1 or THX AAA789 as the amp.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

SDAC with the Atom would be a better setup, but the headphones would benefit from something like a RME ADI 2 DAC or Soekris 1541, maybe with a BHA 1 or THX AAA789 as the amp.

I told him to crab the thx AAA 788 by monoprice , comes with a good DAC and the amp is basically the same as the massdrop one and this one is readily available unlike the massdrop one. But then he said he wanted something more entry level for now.