Lag spikes and latency variation when using Ethernet

Kokomo

Hi 

i have recently had really bad network connections on my pc using Ethernet. When i try to play rocket league or other watch i keep getting the high latency variation symbols  showing up. I tried  to use a new cable but doesn't seem to fix the issue i have no problems with my ps4 when using Ethernet .  I have tried using WiFi on my pc and it is a little better but still get it once or twice. And also the ping sometimes goes up to about 1000 or more then drops back down to around 32 which i usually have. I have the correct drivers installed as i downloaded them from the gigabyte website.  It also happens on battlefield v and it went up to 2000 ping. It also says most my connections in cmd media state disconnected so i'm not sure if this has something to do with it. 

is there any options that i could try? i have run the test on cmd for packet loss and no signs as i used to get that too. this is a recent build so i would like to get this fixed. 

any help is appreciated. 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

Have your tried flushing your DNS or changing it all together

8 hours ago, xxWheixx said:

Have your tried flushing your DNS or changing it all together

Just tried flushing it, how do I change it if that doesn’t work

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

14 hours ago, xxWheixx said:

still the same problem unfortunately no idea whats wrong. 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

Does this only happen on your desktop via ethernet?

Can you test the latency on another PC?

I'm going through something similar (though far worse) the past few months, however in my case I had verified that it is an ISP/their provider issue.

4 hours ago, moriel5 said:

Does this only happen on your desktop via ethernet?

Can you test the latency on another PC?

I'm going through something similar (though far worse) the past few months, however in my case I had verified that it is an ISP/their provider issue.

Hi I can’t test it on another pc maybe could try on a laptop? The connection is slightly better today as I disabled WiFi while using Ethernet but I still get latency symbols and also packet loss. But I haven’t had the 1000 ping yet. When I test it with WiFi it’s the same problem. How did you verify it was the isp? I think I’ve come to the same conclusion as well I’ve pretty much tried everything 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

This is my speed test

F280E8BD-AE7A-4BE5-BBB1-4BB04CCBD6CC.jpeg

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

10 hours ago, Kokomo said:

Hi I can’t test it on another pc maybe could try on a laptop? The connection is slightly better today as I disabled WiFi while using Ethernet but I still get latency symbols and also packet loss. But I haven’t had the 1000 ping yet. When I test it with WiFi it’s the same problem. How did you verify it was the isp? I think I’ve come to the same conclusion as well I’ve pretty much tried everything 

I use OpenWrt on my Netgear DM200, so I checked via the same commands, just through SSH.

Additionally, I had completely replaced the equipment, going the length of using an ISP-branded (true, the provider of our ISP, but same thing when our ISP's provider is the only DSL provider permitted in the country).

I had checked from my laptop (Linux) via WiFi, my laptop via Ethernet, my mother's laptop (Windows 10) via WiFi, directly from the Netgear DM200 via SSH, all of the above, excluding SSH, with both the TP-Link TD-W9970 and the ISP-branded D-Link DSL-6740U.

Vectoring is enabled on our line, due to me explicitly requesting it to be on (the DM200 does not support vectoring by default, however I had installed a xDSL firmware that does support vectoring on it, and both the TD-W9970 and the ISP-branded DSL-6740U support vectoring out of the box (not to mention that there is no custom firmware for them), so that was not the cause.

And from my traceroute logs, I saw there were spikes in latency in multiple (generally 2-3) spots, all of them either on our ISP's servers, their provider's servers, or both.

We use 1.1.1.1, however I had also tested the default DNS server.

10 hours ago, Kokomo said:

This is my speed test

F280E8BD-AE7A-4BE5-BBB1-4BB04CCBD6CC.jpeg

What do you pay for?

We pay for 40Mbt/s, and lately receive only ~1-3Mbt/s for most networks, when we used to saturate our connection.

3 hours ago, moriel5 said:

What do you pay for?

We pay for 40Mbt/s, and lately receive only ~1-3Mbt/s for most networks, when we used to saturate our connection.

Not really sure what we pay for but tried to play again today and still have the same problems going to buy a nic and see if it makes a difference if not then i dont know just si frustrating that u can't play online well when i spent so much on the pc

edit: just asked my isp and they said they’ve refreshed the line so I’m hoping this is going to fix it but I have to wait 5 hours

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

19 hours ago, Kokomo said:

Not really sure what we pay for but tried to play again today and still have the same problems going to buy a nic and see if it makes a difference if not then i dont know just si frustrating that u can't play online well when i spent so much on the pc

edit: just asked my isp and they said they’ve refreshed the line so I’m hoping this is going to fix it but I have to wait 5 hours

I certainly hope that it will help.

Also try using Cloudflare's DNS afterwards, if everything works properly, you could get down to ~10ms or below latency ( I am currently getting ~8-10ms).

50 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

I certainly hope that it will help.

Also try using Cloudflare's DNS afterwards, if everything works properly, you could get down to ~10ms or below latency ( I am currently getting ~8-10ms).

Thanks for the help 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

Just now, Kokomo said:

Thanks for the help 

No problem.

Now I still need to finish debugging our Internet issues (latency comes and goes, currently it is alright, but many times it goes up to ~70-80ms with Cloudflare, and up to ~200-300ms with the ISP's DNS, however the main issue is the speed), where is it starting (I have a copy of the area's networking foundations map (I got permission from the local municipality, since I am also using this to learn the field), since no one seems to know why this is happening.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, moriel5 said:

No problem.

Now I still need to finish debugging our Internet issues (latency comes and goes, currently it is alright, but many times it goes up to ~70-80ms with Cloudflare, and up to ~200-300ms with the ISP's DNS, however the main issue is the speed), where is it starting (I have a copy of the area's networking foundations map (I got permission from the local municipality, since I am also using this to learn the field), since no one seems to know why this is happening.

well i fixed it for now i think anyway went into task manager and into performance and open resource monitor and looked at the network usage and disabled a couple of things that were using alot of bandwith ( mostly useless windows stuff) and its seemed to fix it.  not sure if it would work for you.

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

8 hours ago, Kokomo said:

well i fixed it for now i think anyway went into task manager and into performance and open resource monitor and looked at the network usage and disabled a couple of things that were using alot of bandwith ( mostly useless windows stuff) and its seemed to fix it.  not sure if it would work for you.

Thanks, but that won't help me, since I literally do things manually, so network usage is next to 0 most of the time on my PC (except when I am actively using the network).

That, and I had also checked directly from the main router (Netgear DM200, running OpenWrt) via SSH.

I'm glad that everything is working well for you, though.