Stuck at 9mb down when getting 400mb (ethernet). Xfinity came, no fix.

CreamyCornCob

Any ideas would be great appreciated. 3 days ago, out of the blue, no changes made, speed for 6 months went from 400ish down to 9mb - straight ethernet to desktop pc. Latest xfinity router/modem, front and back end (xfinity) resetting, modem/router resetting, pc resetting no fix.

Xfinity guy comes, brings his laptop in, uses the same ethernet cable from the router to his laptop and using the same test http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and gets 300mb down.

We go to another room where my laptop is, doesn't show 5.0 ghz in the available networks, only 2.4. His laptop shows the 5 ghz.

He leaves... what in the heck is going on here? Swapped ports and ethernet cables with the desktop, same 9mb down for me, his laptop 300mb down.

I don't even know where to start, any help would be appreciated.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

Have you tested the speed with other devices to rule out it's not just your desktop PC?

As I mentioned, his laptop gets the 300mb down, same ethernet cable and port.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Yeah, I get that, but what about your devices? Or is the desktop PC the only thing you have?

I tried two other latops of mine, straight ethernet, same 9mb down.

So pissed and puzzled, it makes zero sense.

@Mira Yurizaki I think its safe to say, focusing on the desktop, something's wrong. Where does one start? Reinstalling the ethernet drivers?

Didn't touch a single thing. As a matter of fact, I was in the middle of a 20gig DL and getting the 300-400down, then boom, right to 9mb.

2 minutes ago, CreamyCornCob said:

Didn't touch a single thing. As a matter of fact, I was in the middle of a 20gig DL and getting the 300-400down, then boom, right to 9mb.

Go to "Change Adapter options" and right click on Ethernet, and then click on Status, what is the Speed listed?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, CreamyCornCob said:

@_Syn_ 102mfdd.png

Yeah seems to be stuck at 10Mbps, click on Properties, then Configure and go to the Advanced tab, you'll see a list of a bunch of stuff, can you find something called "Speed and Duplex"? and if so, try forcing the value to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex"

@_Syn_ just changes speed and duplex to the value at the top (it was on auto), 1.0 gbps, applied. After 30 seconds the network came back, re-check again (not looking at the first results) and still getting 10.mbps.

Just now, CreamyCornCob said:

@_Syn_ just changes speed and duplex to the value at the top (it was on auto), 1.0 gbps, applied. After 30 seconds the network came back, re-check again (not looking at the first results) and still getting 10.mbps.

Could be something wrong with the router or the cable, try changing to a different port on the router or a different cable

Tried his cable and mine, he was getting 300mb mine 9mb. Same port. Changed ports with his laptop, he gets 300mb down, mine 9mb.

So I've tried two different cables and various ports - still 9mb.

And I don't think its the router, he used the same router and ports and was still getting 300.

Unplug the network cable and look at the contacts in the connector.

Make sure all pins in the connector are flexible and in their proper channels... sometimes one pin can jump over and touch another pin in the connector, so no matter what cable you plug in, two pins are always making contact, so the network card will fall back to 10mbps which requires fewer pairs of wires.

Sometimes a pin is bent too much and doesn't "spring" back to make contact with the pins in ethernet jack... that's why you should check for flexibility of those pins.

A network card will automatically fall back to 100 mbps or 10 mbps if some of the pairs of wires aren't properly detected (like if a wire in the jack is loose, or two pins in the connector are shorted)

Once you're sure physically everything's OK, go in the network card and force the card back to 1 gbps ... like someone above said ... device manager, network cards, configure , advanced, link speed ... select 1gbps, full duplex (may be in another entry)

I'm talking about these pins ... on the left side, see those gold wires inside the jacks :

image.png.69d5e928ad803cd09f7a5f5d4cbc26a6.png

OK will tackle that now @mariushm I see those pins, will look on the PC and router side for those pins on the left.

Very informative that this possibly doing this forces it to 10 mb.

@mariushm no contact and all pins look 'sprung up'. On the router, theres 4 ports, all of them look good too. Man oh man.

edit: the pins on the right aren't burnt, its just the shadow ?

29ckpxw.jpg

@mariushm And this adjustment was made a few steps earlier.

Going to try a restart after this change. Still at 9mb.

2j61i8n.jpg

Restarted the PC and router after the change, 3 ethernet cables and all 4 outbound router ports - Still at 9mb. ?

do you happen to have Norton? I have seen (mostly recently) where Norton's network security destroys network speeds. If you do then disable it and test speeds after like 5 mins.

If you don't then ignore this. It's just an idea cause i ran into a client today get 1mbs, when i disabled Norton crap it popped up to 85mbs (thats all they had there for service)

No Norton only Win Defender, ty though.

So is the next logical step to re-install the LAN drivers?

you can try that, also try booting to a linux live disk and see if the issue persists.

This can tell you if the issue software or hardware 

3 hours ago, CreamyCornCob said:

Xfinity guy comes, brings his laptop in, uses the same ethernet cable from the router to his laptop and using the same test http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and gets 300mb down.

First thing I would do is download the latest Ethernet drivers. Uninstall the current drivers and install the new drivers. If that dont work like others stated you verify that cable is good. If all else fails, some times reinstalling Windows works. But Id probably try a live CD version of Linux first, because if that works then most likely your Windows install is borked. 

3 hours ago, CreamyCornCob said:

We go to another room where my laptop is, doesn't show 5.0 ghz in the available networks, only 2.4. His laptop shows the 5 ghz.

Could be the wireless card in your laptop is shit. It could be an older Wireless N model, which would probably have less range than an AC model. Thats assuming the gateway you got from Comcast has an AC accesspoint built in. I couldn't tell you because I havent use Comcast modem rental in 5 years, back when we did their gateways were about as good as a shit sandwich. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.