Macbook air 128gb enough?

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Programming means visual studio (almost always) which is another 10-20gb gone for a single program and depending on the project sizes it can be quite storage heavy.

At school we have dedicated computers and I have one at home which can easily handle most of the programming which I will be doing. I am talking about some very light programming for when I am on the go or somewhere where i cant access my PC. I am no really sure what kind we will do, but we are starting next year.

4 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

It just feels way easier and faster to use. And it does that out of the box. I know I could use tools in windows to manage and search stuff faster.

Finder out of the box really isn't that great on mac tbh. A couple addons fix most of the odd issues.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Programming means visual studio (almost always) which is another 10-20gb gone for a single program and depending on the project sizes it can be quite storage heavy.

At school we have dedicated computers for that and I have one at home which can handle heavy programming easily. I am talking only about light stuff that I will be doing on the go or somewhere where I dont have access to my PC. We are starting programming classes next year and I dont really know what kind we will be studying.

2 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

At school we have dedicated computers and I have one at home which can easily handle most of the programming which I will be doing. I am talking about some very light programming for when I am on the go or somewhere where i cant access my PC. I am no really sure what kind we will do, but we are starting next year.

Light or heavy doesn't really matter. You'll still need the program to open said projects and the project that is currently being worked on with you. Also what os do your school pc's run? If it's windows then getting a mac is pretty pointless since all will be aimed towards a windows environment.

Wait. Are we ignoring this thing now:

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-MateBook-Signature-i7-8550U-GeForce/dp/B07CTHN94Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=huawei+matebook+x+pro&qid=1557351253&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Instead we are looking at a Macbook Air with 128GB of storage?

Edit: ladies and gentlemen, that appears to be the case.

Edit2: wait perhaps not

Edit3: no i think we are ignoring the obvious choice and instead going with what we wanted in the first place even though OP was asking for advice. 

Just now, jaslion said:

Light or heavy doesn't really matter. You'll still need the program to open said projects and the project that is currently being worked on with you. Also what os do your school pc's run? If it's windows then getting a mac is pretty pointless since all will be aimed towards a windows environment.

Well I dont really know. I am almost sure it will be Windows, but I am not really sure if I will be using the laptop for programming at all too. 

1 minute ago, ILoveZed said:

Well I dont really know. I am almost sure it will be Windows, but I am not really sure if I will be using the laptop for programming at all too. 

In your case it's best to wait.

First you want to know what you will be doing at school.

Then you want to know what the computer should be able to do.

Then you evaluate the best options to handle said needs.

and then you finally buy the laptop of your choice.

Plus apple has major keyboard issues affecting all current macbooks. So wait for a 2019 model and see if the keyboard is fixed unless you like returning your laptop a lot and having to replace your keyboard often in and out of warranty which will cost a pretty penny.

1 hour ago, ILoveZed said:

Mostly I am interested if it will be usable for studying. As I said I am not really familiar with MacOS and I dont really know how much RAM and space do I need for the computer to run normally. So I will be really thankful if someone can help me!

I’ve been using a Mac laptops for about 7 years now and I would definitely recommend them. This is probably a bad place to get advice on apple products, as there are a lot of irrational apple haters on this form. 

I would recommend the 13” MacBook Pro with 256 gb of memory over the MacBook Air. You get a better i5 in it so it will last you a lot longer. It will probably require you to save a little longer, but it will also IMO give you a better experience for longer. Also, you can get them cheaper at Costco or best buy on sale then at the Apple store. 

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

With how high the failure rates are on current macbooks longevity and macbooks do not go together.

ignore the people that are claiming MacBooks are unreliable. Yes there are some issues for people with the keyboard, but it isn’t every single MacBook like some people like to pretend. Apple is still rated number one by consumer report in 2 year reliability reports.

3 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I’ve been using a Mac laptops for about 7 years now and I would definitely recommend them. This is probably a bad place to get advice on apple products, as there are a lot of irrational apple haters on this form. 

I would recommend the 13” MacBook Pro with 256 gb of memory over the MacBook Air. You get a better i5 in it so it will last you a lot longer. It will probably require you to save a little longer, but it will also IMO give you a better experience for longer. Also, you can get them cheaper at Costco or best buy on sale then at the Apple store. 

ignore the people that are claiming MacBooks are unreliable. Yes there are some issues for people with the keyboard, but it isn’t every single MacBook like some people like to pretend. Apple is still rated number one by consumer report in 2 year reliability reports.

Yeah, I know how great Macbooks are, but rn it's best to just wait. I did some digging and found out that I will be studying a lot more stuff than programming. I read in some kind of document in the school's website that before graduation the student must know to: blah, blah, blag, blah... know how to install and work with different operating systems, blah, blah... have basic skills in computer graphics and design, blah, blah, blah, blah... programming and web design, objective and orientational programming, assembler language... After seeing all of these classes I figured I should just ask the teachers next year what should I get. At the end I am probably going to get a Mac, but...

4 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

Yeah, I know how great Macbooks are, but rn it's best to just wait. I did some digging and found out that I will be studying a lot more stuff than programming. I read in some kind of document in the school's website that before graduation the student must know to: blah, blah, blag, blah... know how to install and work with different operating systems, blah, blah... have basic skills in computer graphics and design, blah, blah, blah, blah... programming and web design, objective and orientational programming, assembler language... After seeing all of these classes I figured I should just ask the teachers next year what should I get. At the end I am probably going to get a Mac, but...

That’s probably smart. I’m in accounting and some programs aren’t available on my laptop. That’s why I also have a windows desktop at home. 

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

That’s probably smart. I’m in accounting and some programs aren’t available on my laptop. That’s why I also have a windows desktop at home. 

That's why I think that it doesn't really matter which one I am gonna get. I will do most of my prigramming if not all of it on my PC at home. Btw I found that Apple has a student's program that gives me some kind of a discount with which I can get a Air with 256 GB for a pretty decent price in comparison to the normal prices. But the problem is that in my country I don't really know if the Apple representatives do have this option. If I order it directly from apple it will probably be pretty expensive to get it shipped and into the country without any problems.

For the person who was telling me to get a Huawei matebook. It isnt available in my country

This is how much it would cost me to get a Non touch bar Macbook Pro with 256 GB of storage

Screenshot_20190509-014837_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190509-015055_Google.jpg

This is how much it would cost me to get an Air

Screenshot_20190509-014903_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190509-014930_Google.jpg

At this point I dont really have a choice. I'll just use an external drive.

7 hours ago, ILoveZed said:

For the person who was telling me to get a Huawei matebook. It isnt available in my country

if you are going to tell us your budget. please dont give us a converted currency and give it in the native currency. and your country. 

because 1300$ is not 1300$ of purschasing power everywhere

https://www.altech.bg/en/product/89491/dell-xps-9380-133-touch-intel-i7-8565u-46g-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-int-vc-win10-53971842406

found a Dell XPS with the same specs as the US Matebook. 

just slightly over 1300$. but im guessing 23 BGN isnt a dealbreaker. 

hard to pass up somthing like this. 

7 hours ago, ILoveZed said:

At this point I dont really have a choice. I'll just use an external drive.

found dell XPS in you country which will be way better than the 128 GB Macbook which is going to be a nightmare storage wise

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

https://www.altech.bg/en/product/89491/dell-xps-9380-133-touch-intel-i7-8565u-46g-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-int-vc-win10-53971842406

found a Dell XPS with the same specs as the US Matebook. 

just slightly over 1300$. but im guessing 23 BGN isnt a dealbreaker. 

hard to pass up somthing like this. 

Yeah it's got free delivery to Bulgaria, but it costs 2300 euros which is about 4600 bgn. That's almost twice as much as an Air

A while ago I was very interested in the Surface Laptop, but it costs as much as an Air in my country. Its 2300 bgn and the ports on this thing are just a dealbreaker.

24 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

Yeah it's got free delivery to Bulgaria, but it costs 2300 euros which is about 4600 bgn. That's almost twice as much as an Air

Oh wait it was in euro. My bad. I thought bulgarian sites listed their currency in bulgarian rupees.

Ill get back at it. Do you have any good sites to use?

Prefferably price comparison sites in Bulgaria

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Ill get back at it. Do you have any good sites to use?

Prefferably price comparison sites in Bulgaria

pazaruvaj.com is good. Also emag.bg is good cuz it sells products from lots of different sellers. 

5 hours ago, PacketMan said:

I've worked with a 2014 Macbook Air (13") with 128GB storage for 3 months, and it's not worth it, 128GB is really really low for an everyday laptop

Anyway, if you pay $1300 for a laptop, at least it has to be 8GB of RAM (16GB should be the minimum for $1300), quad core (real cores, not 2 cores and 4 threads; the i5 8250U and the i7 8550U should be the least you should get)

About the build quality, there are a lot of choices out there, you have the MSI PS42 and the MSI PS63 (this one is really good for the price, specially the non-GPU version and non-OS, so you could install custom Windows 10)

And about the OS, you will like MacOS experience, but you won't like the MacOS experience with a dual core CPU and a low resolution display (talking about the 1400x900 of the old Air)

About that. My mom is using a dekstop computer with 128 GB of storage with something like 4 GB of ram running windows 10. She says that she doesn't have any problems with storage and she is a construction engineer working with programs like AutoCAD. She says it is not the best computer, but it gets the work done. She has been having it for more that 2 years. Of course in the company they store all the projects in a server, but she has lots of projects on the PC too. She's got like 60 gigs of storage left. Considering that I will mostly use the computer for internet browsing, word, excel and power point I dont see a reason why I wont have enough space.