Macbook air 128gb enough?

51 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

pazaruvaj.com is good. Also emag.bg is good cuz it sells products from lots of different sellers. 

https://www.emag.bg/laptop-huawei-matebook-13-s-procesor-intelr-coretm-i5-8265u-do-3-90-ghz-whiskey-lake-13-8-gb-256-gb-ssd-intel-uhd-graphics-620-microsoft-windows-10-gray-53010fsw/pd/DHTXTZBBM/?X-Search-Id=4a785ab61e8cad6afa73&X-Product-Id=41731223&X-Search-Page=1&X-Search-Position=0&X-Section=search&X-MB=0&X-Search-Action=view

Here is the Matebooke 13.  its on sale and includes a carrybag. its to all intents and purposes a better Macbook Air.

Hello fellow CS major here.

I can tell you now that your macbook isn't going to affect programming a whole lot.

They'll more than likely have you use whatever IDE your school prefers which will run on windows, mac, and linux, just fine. If anything when you get to an operating systems course or do anything with C programming you'll probably benefit from having a mac because a mac terminal looks and works similar to a linux terminal and also os X from what I've seen and understand comes with a C compiler and python compiler built in so that could save you some time or headache.

Personally I prefer windows laptops but that's mostly because I'm used to them and can't afford to drop 1k on a mac to try it out. But again as CS student you will not be held back by your mac.

One benefit of having a mac is that you'll be able to do iOS development and make apps for iPhones and if you have an iPhone to boot you can wirelessly get your iOS app onto your phone to test it. Publishing it is another story though.

tl;dr

A mac will not hinder you in your cs studies.

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

I mean, even if the MacOS was the most efficent OS out there, that Matebook 13 with an i5 8250U would beat the shit out of the i5 8310Y inside the cheapest Macbook Air and still would get a lot of battery life, but maybe the screen and the speakers aren't as good as the Macbook Air's

I do want to try out that new cheap Macbook Air because after using the Macbook Air 2014 with an i5 4260U (slow as f) I don't know if it's worth anymore, the Macbook 12 are really thin, light and powerful enough for a regular user within a "decent" price range, a nice Macbook Air now costs too much compared to the Macbook Pro

The Macbook 12 is kinda good deal for the price, but for me only one usb-c port just isnt enough. The processor is a 7th gen with boost up to 3.6 GHz while the Airs is a 8th gen with boost up to 3.6 GHz. The only big difference between them for me is that the Air doesn't have Intel Iris Plus Graphics, its bigger with better speakers and it has one fan while the Macbook 12 is fanless.

Edit: The air has touch ID too

I know that small form factor parts for laptops are specially engineered and all that...

But an i3 APU and a 128GB SSD should never cost $1300. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

My buddy recently bought an air despite all of the warnings. I just bought my wife an HP with a Ryzen 5 2500U (Vega 8 APU), 8GB DDR4, 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD a few months ago for $450... They perform about equally if not better on the R5 end.

He paid $850 for a thinner body and some biometrics capabilities lol. (Really he paid it so he'd look cooler at Starbucks.)

2 hours ago, trevb0t said:

I know that small form factor parts for laptops are specially engineered and all that...

But an i3 APU and a 128GB SSD should never cost $1300. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

My buddy recently bought an air despite all of the warnings. I just bought my wife an HP with a Ryzen 5 2500U (Vega 8 APU), 8GB DDR4, 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD a few months ago for $450... They perform about equally if not better on the R5 end.

He paid $850 for a thinner body and some biometrics capabilities lol. (Really he paid it so he'd look cooler at Starbucks.)

It has an i5. And after all it really depends on how you are going to use the laptop and personal preference. Maybe he likes the OS more, maybe he prefers a premium designed body made from metal... I do prefer the Air because of the looks, biometrics, premium feel and the fact that it is a macbook. Dont get me wrong. I am not an apple fan boy. I have been using windows and android my whole life, but the simpleness of the whole ultrabook, not just the look, the OS too just make the laptop so much better. And the optimization is really good too. This is just my opinion. If you dont think like that, i'm ok with that.

20 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

It has an i5. And after all it really depends on how you are going to use the laptop and personal preference. Maybe he likes the OS more, maybe he prefers a premium designed body made from metal... I do prefer the Air because of the looks, biometrics, premium feel and the fact that it is a macbook. Dont get me wrong. I am not an apple fan boy. I have been using windows and android my whole life, but the simpleness of the whole ultrabook, not just the look, the OS too just make the laptop so much better. And the optimization is really good too. This is just my opinion. If you dont think like that, i'm ok with that.

That's fine. I have a macbook pro that was provided during my education, and I mostly use bootcamped windows on it. Mine is a few years old so there's no biometrics, but really... I'd just as soon go grab a 1300 Acer gaming laptop with a GPU or even one of those Windows books with the tear away smart screen that I can draw directly onto.

It is all preference. If you wanna look cool at starbucks, Macbook is what you have to use.

20 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

That's fine. I have a macbook pro that was provided during my education, and I mostly use bootcamped windows on it. Mine is a few years old so there's no biometrics, but really... I'd just as soon go grab a 1300 Acer gaming laptop with a GPU or even one of those Windows books with the tear away smart screen that I can draw directly onto.

It is all preference. If you wanna look cool at starbucks, Macbook is what you have to use.

I wish my school was giving Macbooks here and there XD

wow this is still going on

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

32 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

I wish my school was giving Macbooks here and there XD

22 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

wow this is still going on

I mean... I paid for it in my tuition (And probably overpaid for it,) they just provided a Macbook Pro and the course books in the tuition cost. (Which is great because books are super expensive.)